Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ms. Suze Orman, don't buy bond mutual funds and 11% annualized market returns.....2015 program

edited June 2017 in Off-Topic
I happened to be taking a lunch break from chores and while channel checking, found Suze Orman doing the PBS pledge period; and .......................................

Ms. Orman states: "Do not buy bond mutual funds!" You'll lose your monetary arse when interest rates rise.

http://www.etf.com/sections/index-investor-corner/fact-checking-suze-ormans-take-on-bonds

Also, from this same show (I believe 2015 PBS show); she notes that one could expect an 11% or 12%/year annualized return over a 40 year period. OMG, I do say. Where be da proof?

This "Boglehead" thread notes her quote, although from her now gone tv show, twas the same twist on the PBS program.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156001

I/we have watched a few of her shows when she was on CNBC; and she did have a few simple tips about savings and not spending one's money improperly.

But, as for investment advice; ah, nope. I recall she really pushed etf's in 2013 or 2014.

I don't find any evidence that she is a certified financial planner. I felt bad for the folks nodding their heads about not buying bond mutual funds going into or during retirement. Bond funds would probably be okay though, as long as in the form of an ETF.....:)

Anyone know her; so as to invite her to the site for a chat among seasoned investment warriors?

Perhaps @DavidSnowball could snag an interview for the monthly commentary.

Take care,
Catch

Comments

• edited June 2017
    catch22 said:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156001

Perhaps @DavidSnowball could snag an interview for the monthly commentary.

Take care,
    Catch

No, don't do that to David. She would just blind him with her shiny bleached teeth.

• There is a difference between PBS Pledge week (and for that matter, PBS faux financial advice). Let's just say grown-up MFO readers should discern this, but just in case.... (Come on -- if you read MFO would you REALLY get your investment advice fro PBS????)
  • edited June 2017
    Didn't know Suze was still around. PBS is a mixed bag nowadays. Sure wouldn't put her in a league with Louis Rukeyser whom they hosted for a couple - maybe more decades.

On the other hand ... If she appeals to an audience that otherwise would ignore finances completely, perhaps she is doing some good.

Thanks for the post Catch.
  • edited June 2017
    Hi @icyone
    You noted: "There is a difference between PBS Pledge week (and for that matter, PBS faux financial advice). Let's just say grown-up MFO readers should discern this, but just in case.... (Come on -- if you read MFO would you REALLY get your investment advice fro PBS????)"
    The point exactly. I watched about 15 minutes of the program during my lunch break and was so disappointed from her take on and presentation to the audience and tv viewers of "where to invest". No wonder folks get confused. @hank has a good point that some of the other info may have been of benefit to some folks; who, hopefully are curious and motivated enough to discover the real facts, as she presents rapid info with little background data. The "plan your financial future" aspect of the program is of value relative to wills, trusts and related.
    I did not find any current info as to the original broadcast date; and perhaps she does not do these type of programs any longer.
    BUT, overall; the program has many flaws.
  • Suze Orman has been a mixed bag of recommendations over the years. But I would venture that her largest source of income the last 8-10 years has been from the sale of her CDs and other products she pushes on PBS, QVC, and other outlets, and from speaking fees where she gets to offer those products. She and I do agree on paying off home mortgages as soon as possible. But I must say that her teeth are much whiter than my own, FWIW.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • She slots just above (Jim) Cramer. And Cramer is the very bottom of the barrel.
  • edited June 2017
    I watched maybe half of one of her programs once, and the impression it left was she doesn't know squat about investing, but for people who are up against it with debt, going through some kind of finance-related trauma, just trying to get along financially without much experience, she's got a halfway decent schtick for for those folks.

And those teeth, they do mesmerize ...
  • PBS is a different animal at pledge time. They ask you to donate so that you can keep on seeing the old music programs they play only during pledge time.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @MFO Members: Here's a 12/26/04 Chicago Tribune article on the one and only Suze
    Orman!
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2004-12-26/business/0412260228_1_suze-orman-show-gm-spokeswoman-deborah-silverman-financial-advice

If You New Suzie Like I Know____: Gene Kelly & Frank Sinatra
  • ...for people who are up against it with debt, going through some kind of finance-related trauma, just trying to get along financially without much experience, she's got a halfway decent schtick for for those folks.

@AndyJ, you may or may not be correct in your labeling of Orman, but I think you are absolutely correct about her audience. Your quote above I would guess is about 90% of all people with savings and investments. Some times "we" at MFO like to believe, because we enjoy investment talk and have an interest for learning about investing, everyone should have the same interest. That is not close to reality. In general people don't share our interest. From what I've viewed on her shows, she has a strong urge to help woman, pushes a debt free mantra and preaches a simple approach to financial well-being. I don't see anything wrong with that.

The one-step above Cramer, which another poster stated, I think is baloney.
  • "The one-step above Cramer, which another poster stated, I think is baloney. "

Please, elaborate.

I feel she is selling her own product...her name, her books, her various kits. She does offer constructive criticism to people who cannot budget their finances, but she often does it a bit too dramatically. Far too often, its just simply a "beat down" for entertainment purposes.

Cramer is pure vaudeville. He might as well dress up in a clown outfit. But they are both selling themselves and sensationalizing to draw viewers. Orman is just a bit more calm (at times).
  • jeez. Cramer is capable of doing real harm to any watcher with money. Orman not, I might even say never, not from my experience of watching her quite a lot back when. She is often excessively cautious and indeed wrongheaded about wariness and guidance re (dis)comfort levels in the market and investment world, wrong and when not wrong overstated in the strength of her warnings and sometimes dire prophecies to the audience of evidently timid and worried middle-aged types. At worst it seems to me to be anxiety-increasing in an already anxious crowd. She advises excessive saving, etc. She overemphasizes the minor details. There are worse things. She is excessively general and generalized. But I do not know that anything she advises is frankly dangerous.
  • edited June 2017
    MikeM said:
    Entitled to your opinion. Personally I can handle Cramer's babble a lot better than Orman's. But that's just me. As for relevance/validity: It's a dime for one and 10-cents for the other.

• Let's be honest, here. Orman and Cramer are both pretty bad. Why real investors would watch either one is a puzzle to me. At least Cramer can be entertaining...for about 2-3 minutes max. Orman's voice is like crashing glass.
  • Cramer - They know nothing!!!
  • Agree completely w/BobC. Cramer has short term entertainment value.

The first time I saw Suze was years ago at some broker-sponsored event. The other speakers were solid and informative. I was left wondering who this Suze was and why they would add her to the speaker list.