Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Survey - Top 3 fund holdings

13»

Comments

• Hi @Junkster,

I learned along time ago ... Happiness comes form within and that is something money can't buy. Some folks need more than others to retire. 2.2 mil is a lot by some standards and not so much by others ... perhaps they feel they need 5 mil. I'm thinking you can do more with your 2.2 than they can perhaps do with their 5 mil.

I'm thinking ... You should feel blessed.

I know each morning when I get up ... I give thanks for what I have>

Keep the faith ... and, be happy!

Skeet
  • @Junkster. Surreal.
    IMHO everyone should read the great 401k hoax. I can tell you most everyone my age including me is not going to have anywhere close to $5MM in investable assets at your age, and there's not going to be any pension. It is not about whether I need so much money in retirement. It is about how long I can live in retirement.

I wonder what is the right time to go 6 fit under. Probably before money runs out.
  • Old_Joe said:

@PRESSmUP- Just been there and done that. If you haven't yet purchased your new sink, we found this one to be very high quality 16 guage S/S (nothing like the crap at Home Depot or Lowes), and at a price that no one could match locally. We've used it for a year now and it's really a decent piece of equipment.

There are many quality stainless sinks, including Kraus, Blanco and particularly Franke. I'm going with a granite composite in black.
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/844820/BLANCO-PERFORMA-CASCADE-Super-Single-Bowl-contemporary-kitchen-sinks
  • @Pressmup : If you haven't put in an order yet I'd look for a different color. If you know of someone who has black in kitchen , take a good look at it. Black is wonderful when (clean) ,but shows every smudge .
    Good luck with your kitchen, Derf
  • Old_Skeet said:

Hi @Junkster,

I learned along time ago ... Happiness comes form within and that is something money can't buy. Some folks need more than others to retire. 2.2 mil is a lot by some standards and not so much by others ... perhaps they feel they need 5 mil. I'm thinking you can do more with your 2.2 than they can perhaps do with their 5 mil.

I'm thinking ... You should feel blessed.

I know each morning when I get up ... I give thanks for what I have>

Keep the faith ... and, be happy!

Skeet

Thanks Old Skeet. Just had a moment last night sorry for the drama. "be happy" I agree. I am on my way out now off trail in the middle of nowhere at my local National Park to my secret cave next to a waterfall where I will chill out and read a book. That is real happiness - at least for me.

• DSENX 5.3%
    MAPOX 5.3
    PONDX 4.8
  • edited March 2017
    Hi @Junkster,

About those two funds? (Please tell us more).

I have an engineer buddy that our friendship dates back to our high school days. Through the years he trimmed down to two funds. A stock index fund and a bond index fund; but, he throttles his asset allocation holding a range on the equity side from between 40% to 60% stocks as to how he is reading the markets. And, at times he has moved to 100% fixed for capital preservation reasons but never to 100% equity. With only these two funds he has done well and keeps it simple.

My system is more complex and holds a broader range of assets while putting more coins in my pocket over his method ... but, we both wear smiles on our faces as we both have reached critical mass for retirement. (Much like yourself).

So, I'd be interested in learning more about your two fund portfolio?

Thanks again ... and, enjoy your weekend.

Old_Skeet
  • edited March 2017
    @Old_Skeet as of today's close hold five funds. Old habits are hard to break. I will sell any losers/underperformers in favor of the ones that are outperforming. PONDX IOFIX FCFAX TGINX and DODLX.

I should also add it's not so much the size of your nest egg that counts in retirement as it is the amount of your expenses. No debt should be a given. I sure wish MFO had more retirement discussions
  • edited March 2017
    Junkster said:

I should also add it's not so much the size of your nest egg that counts in retirement as it is the amount of your expenses. No debt should be a given. I sure wish MFO had more retirement discussions

That sounds like an excellent suggestion. I second that.
  • edited March 2017
    Yep, with a good number of us on the board now in retirement I'm thinking that would be a good idea. Bob C has been writting on this subject as a monthly topic in David's monthly newsletter for the past couple of months. For me, I'm thinking I am in good shape now that I'm in my third year of retirement with no debt, good health and an ample financial posture. Plus, I have the flexability to reduce my lifestyle should that become necessary. In order for me to spend it so-to-speak I still have to make it ... and, I am mindful of my spending. With this, I only take form my investments one-half of what I make over a five year rolling period. In this way, capital continues to build. Plus, I nor my wife have been big spenders through our 43 years of marriage with both of us having decent jobs through most of our working years. Believe me, I count my blessings and give thanks every day for what my family has achieved through the years. It just did not start with me as my great grandfather's wisdom followed by my late father and now me which has had a lot to do with the current family's posture. In turn, I am expected to grow principal and pass the unused residual on as the family's philosphy is to make like easier for those that follow as others have done for you. I live in a home that has been in the family for more years than my age. Plus as the family sold off farm land piecemeal through the years most of the sale proceeds got invested rather than spent. With this, the family started living off of earned wages, saleries and dividends over the former farm only production. Throuh the years our standard of living improved for the whole family. Now, my responsibility is to take what you need (within reason), keep it growing and then see to it that it gets passed it on.

And, no we are not rich by most standards ... just enough to be comfortable.

Nothing really complex about any of this just good prior planning and good wisdom expressed by late great grandfather ... followed by my grandfather .... followed by my father .... and, now followed by me ... to be passed on.

Junkster ... it soulds, to me, like you are thinking much like my great grandfather did wanting to do something for your grand kids. I can tell you nothing is better than to do some prior planning in their behalf as my parents did for theirs.

Blessings to you.

Skeet
  • edited March 2017
    I'm in agreement with @Junkster. Heck - I even own one of his funds (DODLX).

Realistically, I have a 10-15 year life expectancy (a bit longer with luck). So been moving into "coasting" mode. Three largest holdings are RPSIX (15%), RPGAX (12%), TRRIX (10%), I've been benchmarking in retirement against a good 40/60 fund. But, no longer feel the need to assume that great a risk.

Almost forgot - *Coasting Mode = 25% or more in short-term highly liquid cash/bonds:)

(added the percentages late)

Regards
  • beebee
    edited March 2017
    For those wishing all of these choices were in one place (maybe it was only me):

RPSIX, TRRIX, RPGAX
    PONDX IOFIX FCFAX TGINX and DODLX
    DSENX MAPOX PONDX
    PRWCX 11%
    PRHSX 11%
    PRMTX 10%
    VWINX 10%
    PONDX 10.7%
    TWEIX 9.6%
    WFPAX 8.4%
    POAGX, HSCSX and FMIJX
    VINIX
    VWINX
    VEXMX tied with TEDIX
    OAKBX, FPACX, SGENX
    VDIGX
    VPMAX / VPCCX / VHCAX (I'm going to call that one investment)
    VWIUX
    RERFX
    American Funds New Economy Fund / ANEFX / 10.7%
    IShares Minimum Volatility USA / USMV / 7.5%
    American Funds Smallcap World Fund / SMCWX / 7.4%
    American Funds American Balanced Fund / ABALX / 7.3%
    VMNVX 15%
    VWELX 10%
    GPGIX 5%
    Mutual Series Funds.
    T Rowe Price (mostly PRCWX)
    Meridian Funds.
    VTSAX 33%
    VPCCX 10%
    MWTRX 7%
    TIBIX 32.0% but possibly on it's way out the door
    POAGX - 28.1%
    FCNTX - 14.2%
    FDVLX 4.2%
    VUVLX 3.6%
    VWNEX 3.1%
    VTMFX 28%
    VTI 14%
    VWIAX 10%
    TSP G-fund 35%
    VTXVX 24%
    VWENX, VWELX, VWINX 7%
    VIPSX, VTXVX 3%
    CVX Stock (not MF) 3%
    SPY= 35.3%
    QQQ= 18.0%
    CSCIX= 13.6%
    PONCX= 11.1%
    IJH= 8.3%
    PFF= 5.4%
    8% Each Fund, BTBFX, LKBAX, CBLAX, ICMBC, MAPOX. I Have 12 Other Funds At 5% Each
    PRWCX
    DSENX
    PONDX
    DSE_X
    PONDX
    The third would be about 50-50 FLPSX and PDI
    VMVFX
    VWELX
    QMNNX
    LKBAX 9%
    RNDLX 9%
    SFGIX 7%
    BERIX. 12.5%
    CCAPX. 10.0%
    GLFOX. 5%
    EVGBX. 5%
    GPIIX 8.5%
    POAGX 7.8%
    GPEIX 7.3%
    AGDYX 15%
    PRWCX 14%
    PRIDX, POAGX, VHCOX, VWINX, PRHSX, (PONDX / PTIAX
    BND (Vanguard Bond Fund) 15%
    VBR (Vanguard Small Cap Value) 8%
    GPGOX 7%
    OAKBX 5% (about 15 years)
    PTTDX
    PCVAX
    OARIX
    PRWCX 35.67%
    MAPOX 16.26%
    PREMX 14.12%
    (4th:) PRSNX 10.97%.
    RPMGX
    PRWCX 15%
    ICMBX 15%
    DSENX 15%
    VWENX - 8.5 %
    PIMIX - 5.3 %
    FMIJX - 5.0 %
    BRUFX
    DSENX
    HQL
    TCMPX - 10.5%
    GPEOX - 8.9%
    SFGIX - 8.6%
    VWINX - 5.4%
    GLRBX - 5.4%
    BERIX - 5.4%
    FPACX - 5.4%
    WHGIX - 5.4%
    RPGAX - 5.4%
    1) PRWCX - 61.7%
    2) PONDX - 15.7%
    3) GPROX - 15.3%
    PRWCX 15%
    PRBLX 15%
    PONDX 10%
    1) RPHYX
    2) VPMCX
    3) VWELX
    FKINX (6.4%) ... AMECX (6.1%) ... and CAIBX (5.1%)
    OPGIX, POAGX, and DSEEX
    PRWCX
    VMVFX
    PRGTX
    CAIBX
    CWGIX
    NEWFX
    RWMGX
    TWEIX
    POGRX
    RPHYX - 3.99%
    HSTRX - 3.86%
    FPACX - 3.01%

I'll try and clean this up when I'm done playing.
  • edited March 2017
    Bee...the holdings were interesting, but perhaps equally interesting was the percentage the top holdings held in the portfolio...anywhere from 61% to the low single digits.

That's quite a variance in concentration.
  • @PRESSmUP,
    I also noticed very few index funds.
  • I took it as top 3 active funds. Investing in index funds is more about asset allocation than anything.
  • Looks like PONDX wins "most popular".
  • THANK you, bee!
  • Quick and dirty breakdown of (apparently) MFO's most committed-to funds from bee's list. These are funds that had more then 2 submissions.

(quick and dirty means no guarantee on accuracy and possible mistakes with share classes).

PONDX 10
    PRWCX 9
    DSENX 6
    VWENX 6
    VWINX 6
    POAGX 5
    VPMAX 4
    FPACX 3
    MAPOX 3
    VMVFX 3
  • Surprised for lack of mention of Parwx. Three year AR 14.5%, SD 11.7, Shape Ratio 1.24, Sortino 2.54. Five year results slightly better.
  • Hi guys,
    Bee, MikeM: Thanks! A job well done.
    PRESSmUP and Bee: I also saw what you're saying. Indexes are cheap. They, as far as I'm concerned, should be core. How many times do funds beat their indexes? Also, if we're talking top 3 funds...they should be a large part of the portfolio. Just stands to reason. Sometimes I think we get caught up in micro managing and should, as the Beatles say, ... "Let it Bee."
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • noleman said:

Surprised for lack of mention of Parwx. Three year AR 14.5%, SD 11.7, Shape Ratio 1.24, Sortino 2.54. Five year results slightly better.

True. Parnassus is not necessarily a top known fund shop, their socially conscious investment style may be a turnoff for some, and those who are laser focused on expense ratios may turn their nose at the .95% expense ratio...performance be damned.

• FMIMX
    DODFX
    MDISX
    SFGIX
    AQEIX
    AVEDX
  • edited March 2017
    PONDX
    LSFYX
    NHMAX
    Small seasonal play in FSRPX
  • edited March 2017
    VHCOX Vanguard Capital Opportunity
    GPMCX Grandeur Peaks Micro Cap
    QMNIX AQR Market Neutral
  • Folks, if you are not providing percentages, it decreases the value of your response for others. JMHO.

I hope people consider editing their responses.
  • Agree with @VintageFreak, but realize I provided no % because I thought the original task didn't fit my circumstances. Most of my equity holdings are in TIAA and I don't manage those accounts. I do have $ outside TIAA that I do manage and for which I provided my three top funds. If we agreed on exactly what apples and oranges we're counting-say the accounts the member actively manages-then the percentages would reveal a lot about our "high conviction" funds. A frequency count by @bee is also a useful measure and thanks to her for that compilation.
  • @BenWP. Agree what @bee did is insightful. Obvious, but no one thought to do it.

Some day women will rule the world. Already started in Iceland:-D
  • beebee
    edited March 2017
    I believe @MikeM should get the credit for the frequency count, but I appreciate the "buzz about the bee!"
  • All,
    I appreciate the posts. I learn something from all.
    Lin