Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

RIP Paul Kangas, of NBR

(x-posted to M*)

‘Nightly Business Report’ anchor Paul Kangas dies at 79
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/obituaries/article135764688.html

Sigh.....

Who can ever forget his classic nightly sign-off:

“I’m Paul Kangas, wishing all of you [waggles finger at camera] the best of good buys.”

Tribute Clip from tonight's episode:

Comments

• @rforno
    Thanks for the note here. I just saw this, too; a bit ago.
    A most gracious person. He and Linda were a great pairing on the show.
    His hometown of Houghton, Michigan is a most unique place that we have visited many times.
  • a solid presence for years; too bad he's gone
  • Classic act indeed.
  • @MFO Members: The Linkster was a regular viewer of NPR's Nightly Business News with Paul Kangas and Susie Gharib.
    Regards,
    Ted

• Their version of the show was fantastic - I was a regular, too. Tom Hudson's era wasn't too bad but they got a bit too flashy with the 3D effects and such.

Side story: I was a guest on NBR the day CNBC announced the acquisition of their assets. Their DC studio was fairly subdued and stunned .... I remember telling the folks I was proud to be on the show while it was still "theirs" b/c I feared what CNBC might do to it. While many of my fears were misplaced, the show did change after then. Sigh.
    Ted said:

@MFO Members: The Linkster was a regular viewer of NPR's Nightly Business News with Paul Kangas and Susie Gharib.
    Regards,
    Ted

• I remember watching this show when the high-flying stock of the moment was TCBY (This Can't Be Yogurt).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited March 2017
    @Maurice- Yes, I always thought that he knew a lot more than he'd let on. Kind of the opposite with Susie Gharib, IMO. She was always so deferential as she pitched softballs at those titans of finance (many of whom are now de-titanized).
  • Susie was ok but Paul was great One thing about the show was that you mostly did not have to watch another Financial show. They told you what you needed to know
  • I liked P. Kangas. I watched often. Now the NBR is produced by CNBC. Schlock.