Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Do I Really Have To Watch This?

Comments

• @Ted,

SotU address is different
  • edited March 2017
    I must say he seems to have had a tutor in basic english.

One problem I had was lack of class he showed when he gestured off hand like one does to a bar-keep, at Pelosi when railing on Obamacare.

You point people out to felicitate them, you don't do it to criticize. Basically he might as well have actually called her out by name.

Sad!
  • edited March 2017
    I guess if it is a waste of your time, why waste your time starting a post about it?

Is endlessly blogging on MFO NOT a waste of time???
  • Thank you all. I really enjoy the comments here and they are much better than "Morning Joe"!

• edited March 2017
    There were positives and, I thought, some negatives (but no need to rain on his parade). Seems to have been a "head-fake" for equity markets which had grown more cautious in the run-up to the speech. Instead of the raving lunatic some expected, he came across as reasonably composed and on message - whether you agree with the message or not.

Yes - a well written, well delivered speech, if lacking in specifics. That's not a knock against him, as most politicians prefer to speak in generalities and avoid the nitty-gritty (like exactly by whom, when, and with what the wall will be built). And, I'm not sure whether or not the wall comprises part of the massive jobs package he's at least alluding to.

I nearly added some bonds yesterday for insurance - than backed out before the 4:00 deadline. Based only on a single day's market action, that would not have been a wise decision.
  • hank said:

And, I'm not sure whether or not the wall comprises part of the massive jobs package he's at least alluding to.

How would the wall compromise a job package.

I don't remember a specific job package. I remember changing the environment, fair trade, corp tax changes that will help employment.

• "Comprise"

"Compromise"

Two different words, Dex.
  • Oh. That's very different. Never mind.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @MFO Members: The market liked it !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The article words are below the video, no watching required.

From the UK, not CNN.

The 'factual' number (hard to believe CNN is so wack here) is factual for totaling everyone not looking for work, like me, my grandkids, their at-home mother, my disabled sibling, not just all the WWC video-gaming opiate addicts wearing China-made MAGA caps.

But the so-called "president" knows all this; he just can't help lying.
  • I feel that those that have underestimated and disparaged Trump just don't understand him. He said what he was going to do and he is doing it. Obama had grand visions that he did not fulfill. He gave great speeches that resulted in nothing. He called for a 'national discussion' on many issues that resulted in nothing. Yet he was and is praised by the media and the pseudo intellectuals.

Trump will never be praised by the media and the pseudo intellectuals but he will accomplish his agenda. And as he is doing it he as usurped the democratic agenda, most notably with the unions. The media and the pseudo intellectuals labeled him as a populist as if that is a bad thing. But, he is giving voice to those who were only given lip service by the Democrats, most notably the inner city, underpaid, and African Americans. If the economic conditions improve for American American, many may vote for other Republicans.

I thought that he would only be a one term president. But, there is a chance he may last two terms. It all comes down to economics. If people are better off they will vote for him.
  • What a totally wack thing to write about the biggest job creator in US history.

https://www.thebalance.com/what-has-obama-done-11-major-accomplishments-3306158

DT has begun the con and scam of WWC. Bring back coalmining! (which actually moved west of the Mississippi and got automated). AAs will be glad if they can avoid his ripoffs. The ACA modifications will be the key.
  • @MaryKay - a lot can get done when one party controls the presidency, house and senate. However, just because you do a lot doesn't mean that any of it was the right thing to do.

For example, many of us are accepting of returning criminal illegal immigrants to their place of origin. On the other hand how many are in favor of abolishing the EPA, polluting our rivers and streams and stomping on equal rights for all? I don't need to be a pseudo intellectual to see the folly of those moves.
  • and like this unbearably sad tale too ('he's just one of us' etc.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/us/immigration-trump-illinois-juan-pacheco.html
  • "Yet he was and is praised by the media and the pseudo intellectuals."

@MaryKay: Since you seem to be overly fond of the pejorative "pseudo intellectual" could you please provide some definition of the term, and hopefully indicate some factual source for this statement?

Or, perhaps, let me guess: real intellectuals are those that agree with you, pseudo intellectuals are those that don't. (Came pretty close, did I?)

With respect to Obama calling "for a 'national discussion' on many issues that resulted in nothing", do you suppose that a Republican congress fixated on insuring that he didn't serve a a second term might have been a major factor? (How did that work out, by the way?)
  • edited March 2017
    Old_Joe said:

"Yet he was and is praised by the media and the pseudo intellectuals."

@MaryKay: Since you seem to be overly fond of the pejorative "pseudo intellectual" could you please provide some definition of the term, and hopefully indicate some factual source for this statement?

Please use Google. At the top of the search page you will see the definition for "pseudo intellectual".

• @OJ, see, if you were a real intellectual you would know these things :)
  • Mark said:

, polluting our rivers and streams and stomping on equal rights for all?

Since it seems to be a 'thing' here to ask for links; please provide a link where Trump specifically said he was in favor of: "polluting our rivers and streams and stomping on equal rights for all". I am looking for that specific information, not someone else saying it or speculation.

If you can not provide one please say so. Also, I am not looking for your justification for using the words.

• ...he is giving voice to... most notably the inner city, underpaid, and African Americans.
    Oh my gosh, that did bring a chuckle.

@MaryKay, he hasn't accomplished anything yet! Just words so far, and many scary words are out-Trumping the good ones. Oh well, we all have bias and you are entitled to yours.... and this thread WAS going so well.
  • @MaryKay: Alright, here's your definition:
    "a person exhibiting intellectual pretensions that have no basis in sound scholarship."

Now then, all that's left for you to do is show some connection between those who disagree with you and that definition.

@davidrmoran: Shoot. My wife tells me the same thing.:)
  • @MaryKay, Posters are not being very kind in their replies to your post. Their opinions are their own. Hang in there.
  • "please provide a link where Trump specifically said he was in favor of: "polluting our rivers and streams"

@MaryKay: How about a new law:

Coal country celebrates as Trump repeals "stream buffer rule"

"President Donald Trump signed legislation repealing the "stream buffer rule" which many people in coal country called a "job killer.""

"The "stream buffer rule" required coal companies to follow strict guidelines at surface mining operations with heavy emphasis on protecting waterways."

• edited March 2017
    Isn't it about time for Ted to tell us all that a thread like this with only 65 comments and 850 views has no place on MFO?

Oh, wait... hold on... :)
  • edited March 2017
    DanHardy said:

How would the wall compromise a job package.I don't remember a specific job package. I remember changing the environment, fair trade, corp tax changes that will help employment.

Dan - This is what I was referring to: "To launch our national rebuilding, I will be asking the Congress to approve legislation that produces a $1 trillion investment in the infrastructure of the United States -- financed through both public and private capital --- creating millions of new jobs."

I was suggesting that the wall, being thousands of miles long, might qualify as infrastructure, and might be funded with some of this $1 trillion. (I think Congress is going to love this plan.):
  • Jobkiller, bwahaha

https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2017/03/01/coal-is-a-state-of-mind :
    " Coal employment’s plunge began decades ago, driven mainly by the switch to strip mining and mountaintop removal. ... Even in West Virginia the typical worker is basically a nurse, not a miner — and that has been true for decades."

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/03/01/opinion/030117krugman2/030117krugman2-tmagArticle.png

@MaryKay
    As for equal rights, see:

http://www.hrc.org/2016RepublicanFacts/donald-trump-opposes-nationwide-marriage-equality [some of this is probably dated]

and

http://www.advocate.com/politics/2017/2/27/anti-lgbt-religious-freedom-order-still-coming-says-trump-transition-aide