Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Markets & More ... February 3, 2017

edited February 2017 in Off-Topic
Good morning,

Yesterday, the S&P 500 Index closed with a reading of 2280.85 putting it up for the day at +0.06%. The three best performing sectors were real estate, utilities and consumer staples.

In looking at the markets this morning as I write Europe is mostly up, Asia-Pacific is mostly down with the exceptions being India and Japan. In the States the futures are pointing for stocks to be up while government bonds to be down. The 10 year closed yesterday with a yield of 2.474%.

An update: Stock futures have now ticked higher while government bond futures are now pointing up @ 9:05 EST.

http://markets.wsj.com/usoverview

http://finviz.com/futures.ashx

Crossing Wall Street's Weekly Market Review is linked below

http://www.crossingwallstreet.com/archives/2017/02/cws-market-review-february-3-2017.html

Advisor Perspectives ... Is the Stock Maret Cheap?

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/updates/2017/02/01/is-the-stock-market-cheap

Old_Skeet's Market Barometer current reading is 151 indicating fair value on the 500 Index. The fair value reading ranges from 147 to 153. Recently, the Index moved from being a touch over valued to fair value on the barometer. The barometer takes into account the number of stocks trading above (or below) their 200 day moving average, a blended P/E Ratio of both the TTM P/E Ratio along with forward estimates plus a technical score that is comprised of both the MFI and RSI indicators. I have used the barometer as an aid to assist me in adjusting my equity allocation within my portfolio for the past couple of years. Currently, my allocation for stocks ranges from 45% to 55% which was determined by a risk tolerance and need analysis. The question that I had ... Was when do I hold 45% equity and when to I hold 55% equity or somewhere in between? Thus, the development of my market barometer. The current reading of 151 would call for a 50% weighting in equities. However, since we are currently in a seasonal trend my equity weighting is above this at about 52/53% range. Should there be a pull back in the market (500 Index) when the barometer calls for additional weighting I most likely will become a buyer in equities and raise my allocation to equities in the near term and maintain an overweight position up to, and perhaps through, this spring. I most likely will start an equity trimming process sometime after Easter and before summer arrives. I'll look for the barometer to help me determine when I should begin the trimming process as stocks usually go soft during the summer months.

Morningstar's Market Fair Value Graph is reflecting +3%.

http://www.morningstar.com/market-valuation/market-fair-value-graph.aspx

Thanks for stopping by.

Old_Skeet

Comments

• Thanks for posting these Markets and More in the morning. Well appreciated.
  • edited February 2017
    Good morning @JohnChisum and others,

John, thanks for stopping by and making comment.

I started this as a daily post because of Ted's absence due to declining health. Hopefully, @Ted will be back and take over the morning slot again along with the many reads he provided for us through the years.

Until he returns I plan to keep posting "The Markets & More" each weekday morning and I welcome comments to help keep the board engerized.

I have learned from others that have made and make post. Hopefully, others have learned from some of my post as well.

Now, I'm gone to watch the markets open.

I wish all ... "Good Investing."

Old_Skeet
  • beebee
    edited February 2017
    Thanks as well @Old_Skeet

I receive this "Chart of the Day" from McClellon in my email and I thought it might fit into this thread nicely.

Some investors struggle with the value of technicals. I see them as just one more tool in the toolbox.

This site is rich with technical data and does a good job of interrupting those technicals.

This article looks at the AD line created by the daily ratio of Advancing and Declining issues in the market. Here the A_D line is being compared to the Dow (with the author's interruption):
    mcoscillator.com/learning_center/weekly_chart/a-d_line_new_high/

Investopedia does a great job of explaining this concept (A/D Line):
    investopedia.com/terms/a/advancedeclineline.asp

• edited February 2017
    Hi @bee,

Thanks for stopping by and making comment.

I remember, when I first started posting, years back, at the fund alarm site there were some that were not the most cordial. You being the person that you are, along with being a former school teacher, quickly brought order and told them, in quick words, to mind their manners. And, in effect, went on to say ... that we need to welcome new folks and not run them away just because they present different views. That still resonates well with me.

At times, I still get called out to posture my statements. With this, I have no issue whatsoever. For if we are not prepared to present and posture our views we sould not present them.

I have referenced the McClellan Oscillator for sometime that you highlite in this thread. For me, it is another way an investor can determine if value currently prevails. I have provided a link below that will take one to The Week That Was. Scroll down until you come to The Week Ahead. In the Week Ahead one will find reference in this section to the NYSE McClellan Oscillator along with its reading and what it means.

https://www.stocktrader.com/2017/01/29/weekly-market-recap-jan-29-2017/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Stocktrading101+(StockTradingToGo)

No doubt, there are many ways to find and read value in the markets and thus determine if they are under valued or over valued. To me, the McClellan Oscillator does this. Some others might take issue with this.

Thanks again for bringing this tool forward.

Skeet
  • beebee
    edited February 2017
    @Old_Skeet,

Thanks for the kind words and for your willingness to share your investing approach. Many paths up the mountain.

Always enjoy seeing/reading what's "Old_Skeet Sleeves"!
  • PAYDEN & RYGEL WEEKLY REVIEW Getting Back To Work
    January’s jobs report bolsters the view that the cycle still has plenty of room to run and that the Fed can still afford to move slowly. Slowly, not because the economy is weak, but because there are few signs of “overheating” or of “being behind the curve.” We are looking for signs/talk/concerns of in ation “heating up” before we get too worried about a more aggressive Fed.

Highlights of the Week:
    Treasuries:March rate hike probabilities dropped to approximately 30% from over 35% with no mention at the meeting of changes to reinvestment on their balance sheet and lower average hourly earnings in the nonfarm payroll report.
    Equities:....some of the world’s largest companies by market cap reported better than expected
    quarterly results. The biggest among them all is tech giant Apple, which reported quarterly earnings of $3.36 per share and revenues of $78.4 billion,beating consensus estimates of $3.22 per share and $77.3 billion.
    Securitized Products:Blackstone’s Invitation Homes opportunistically snapped up cheap homes from the depths of the housing crash, while earning rental income as prices recovered. Ten years later, we see evidence that institutional SFR business models are sustainable longer term. This week, Blackstone took Invitation Homes public (ticker: INVH). And even Fannie Mae is now financing large single-family rental portfolios.
    High Yield THE GOP/Trump talk of corporate tax reforms are mostly designed to favor companies with operations in the United States. Sectors of the U.S. High Yield universe are generally made up of small cap, U.S.-oriented companies, which should benefit from proposed reforms.
    Municipals: Municipal funds notched a fourth consecutive week of in ows, further bolstering the market as new issue supply has been limited. Fundamentals continue to be favorable,
    https://www.payden.com/weekly/wir020317.pdf

President Trump has his work cut out for him
    As of January 27, 2017, the U.S. technology Fab Five by market capitalization are Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL), Google (GOOGL, GOOG), Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT), Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN), and Facebook (NASDAQ:FB). Collectively, the market capitalization of these companies has recently topped $2.5 trillion.

President Trump has his work cut out for him, as the "Tech Fab Five" currently command market capitalizations of $2.5 trillion, and yet, they only employ 535K people.

For perspective, the size of the U.S. labor force is 159.6 million people, and despite the $2.5 trillion collective market capitalization of the Fab Five, these companies employee a measly 0.33% of the population
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/4040833-rising-popularity-hygge-age-uncertainty

Amazon Plans $1.5 Billion Air Hub Near Cincinnati for Fleet
    Cargo planes are one of the latest tools the Seattle retailer is using to control and improve delivery. Other efforts include increased technology and increased trucking capacity. The company already has a worldwide network of about 149 fulfillment centers and 20 sorting centers that handle online orders and uses 45,000 robots.

Amazon will employ 2,000 workers at the new facility when it opens at Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport. Chief Executive Officer Jeff Bezos earlier this month pledged to hire 100,000 people in the U.S. over the next 18 months.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-31/amazon-plans-new-air-hub-in-kentucky-to-support-fast-deliveries
    Healthcare,Public Universities,Walmart and US Military dominate state's employment pictures
    https://www.stocktrader.com
  • edited February 2017
    Thoughtful comments from bee & Ol' Skeet. I love hearing what others are thinking or doing. Makes me think. And I never feel compelled to follow their lead. One, perhaps, feels his way is the only way, and there I have problems. But we can read what we choose to here.