Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MFO Ratings Updated Through June 2016

edited July 2016 in MFO Premium
Just posted to MFO Premium site.

Updates through June 2016 of US mutual fund performance for MultiSearch, Three Alarm, Honor Roll, Great Owl, Category Average, Dashboard of Profiled Funds, and Fund House Scorecard pages.

Comments

• Thanks. JIT!!
  • Chip just posted the MFO ratings update on Search Tools pages of main site. These tools are updated quarterly.
  • Thanks.
    Some funds are categorized as flexible portfolio, e.g Sgiix, Gavix. But that category is missing under miraculous search dropdown list. Please fix the problem. Thanks
  • edited July 2016
    @teapot. Fixed! Can't thank you enough. c
  • Charles,

Thanks for the quick fix. Could you please double check the following two funds which are labeled as great owls funds? Based on their return and risk, I don't see why they can gain the top status.
    Brcnx joemx
    Thanks.

• edited July 2016
    @teapot.

Ha! You and lots of other investors in commodities and EM these last few years.

GO distinctions are based on a fund's relative risk-adjusted return within category. So, the category can perform badly, like commodities and EM have done last few years ... indeed among the most hated funds, but individual funds can still get high marks.

BRCNX and JOEMX have both delivered top quintile performance the past 3 and 5 year periods in their respective categories.

Here is screenshot from premium site for BRCNX, showing strong relative performance during tough periods of absolute performance:

Hope that helps.

Very much appreciate the feedback/suggestions. If you have any other issues/questions, do not hesitate to post/contact us.

Thanks again.

c
  • @ teapot: I couldn't resist, the devil made me do it !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited July 2016
    @Charles

Thank you for your explanation.

1) Does every category use the same top % as Owl fund threshold line?
    2) For miraculous search, can you enhance it to allow multi-category/type search (similar to what Fidelity research mutual fund screen offers)?
    3) Is it possible to display those measurement (e.g, Ulcer, Martin) for the same time period for all funds? You already have those numbers. What I would like to see is for age group of 5 years, the result will also include those funds over five years but will only calculate for the past 5 years not the life period of funds. So it is easy to compare between lines in the same period.
    4) How about offering premium member on a quarter basis or a free 14 days trial?

Thanks.
  • @Ted

Thanks for the cute cartoon.
  • edited July 2016
    @teapot.
    1) Does every category use the same top % as Owl fund threshold line?
    If I understand your question, yes. MFO return ratings are relative to peers, so done for each category. MFO risk ratings are relative to overall US market (SP500). Here is link to definitions.
    2) For miraculous search, can you enhance it to allow multi-category/type search (similar to what Fidelity research mutual fund screen offers)?
    On the premium site, you can search up to 25 categories simultaneously, along with some 50 other parameters. Here is link to MultiSearch parameter list.

We decided a while back to maintain the search tools on main site in current form and put all recommendations received from David and MFO community into the premium search tools site.
    3) Is it possible to display those measurement (e.g, Ulcer, Martin) for the same time period for all funds? You already have those numbers. What I would like to see is for age group of 5 years, the result will also include those funds over five years but will only calculate for the past 5 years not the life period of funds. So it is easy to compare between lines in the same period.
    On the premium site, you have 21 selectable evaluation periods (lifetime, 20, 10, 5, 3, and 1 year, plus full, down, and up market cycles) for all risk and performance metrics to enable the direct comparisons you describe. Here is link to display metrics.

We will be adding even more evaluation periods to the premium site, but intend to leave the main site search tools in legacy form.
    4) How about offering premium member on a quarter basis or a free 14 days trial?
    Ultimately that is up to David. From my perspective, I think we provide enough insight into all that is available on the premium site through a myriad of screens shots on the welcome page (see lower right corner), periodic descriptions of new features in the monthly commentaries, and selected results on the discussion board. Enough to make a donation decision. Here is link to David's invitation letter when we launched the premium site last December after several months of beta testing.

Hope that helps.

Thanks again teapot.

c
  • @Charles

Here is another problem:

In miraculous multi- search, choose category to be "International Equity", then choose "Equity Income", select Restrict to Great Owl Only checkbox, submit the search. The result is not right. The value of Category is lost. It thus shows Owl funds in various categories.

Thanks.
  • Fixed!

Man, you're good.

Want to be a beta tester on the Premium site?

We could use your kind of review each time we roll out a new feature. For that matter, on existing search algos too!

Please let me know.

In any case, can't thank you enough for your time and support.

Charles
  • @Charles

Yes. I would like to try as a beta tester.

The same problem still exists in: Sector Equity->Natural Resources + Restrict to Great Owl Only. It came back with missing category value and Owl funds in various categories.
  • Fixed!

Love you man.

OK, just set you up an account on Premium site.

I emailed you log-in info.

c