Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MFO Premium Ratings Updated Through March 2016

edited April 2016 in MFO Premium
Ratings are updated monthly on our MFO Premium site. Its MultiSearch tool includes all share classes, 21 evaluation periods, and 50 screening criteria. The March update comprises ratings on 9,296 US mutual funds and ETFs (27,307 all share classes), based on Lipper's Data Feed Service.

Looking through some of our Pre-Defined Screens ...

Among the Best Performing Rookies: AQR Equity Market Neutral R6 (QMNRX, Alternative Equity Market Neutral), NWM Momentum (MOMOX, Flexible Portfolio), 361 Global Long/Short Equity Y (AGAWX, Alternative Long/Short Equity), Catalyst Macro Strategy I (MCXIX, Alternative Global Macro), and ProShares S&P MidCap 400 Dividend Aristocrats (REGL, Mid-Cap Core).

A little further down this list is LSV US Managed Volatility Inst (LSVMX, Multi-Cap Value). LSV is short for Josef Lakonishok, Andrei Shleifer, and Robert Vishny ... three professors that started Chicago-based LSV Asset Management in 1994. They now offer six mutual funds, including three rookies and one Great Owl:

Among short list of Dual Great Owl and Honor Roll Funds: T Rowe Price Capital Appreciation (PRWCX, Mixed-Asset Target Alloc Growth), John Hancock Capital Appreciation Value (Lipper ID B24T, Mixed-Asset Target Alloc Growth), Boston Trust Asset Management (BTBFX, Mixed-Asset Target Alloc Growth), Gavekal KL Allocation Inst (GAVIX, Flexible Portfolio), Vanguard Wellesley Income Inv (VWINX, Mixed-Asset Target Alloc Consv), and Vanguard/Wellington I (VWELX, Mixed-Asset Target Alloc Growth).

Comments

• @MFO Members: VWELX average annual return of 8.22% since 1929, and VWINX average annual return of 9.92% since 1970 a hard duo to beat. !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Ted, can they keep it up forever after they grow beyond bound with boomer retirement rollovers?
  • TedTed
    edited April 2016
    @Anna: The combined funds have $136 Billion AUM, I don't see why not.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited April 2016
    I find VWINX especially impressive because, for a notional 35/65 fund, plus or minus --- meaning the sort of thing many of us would not consider, certainly not in our younger days --- it does so well equaling or beating (since the early 1990s) higher-equity funds like FPURX and GLRBX. Remarkable. All longtime Boston managers, too, and nothing to do w/ Fidelity or State St or Hancock or any of the usual suspects. I think I've crossed social paths with only one Wellington staffer in all the decades I've been out here.
  • I Have Been Watching BTBFX For Years - I Cant Buy It Because Fido Makes You Buy a Minimum Of $100,000.00. Its a Great Fund, Its Up Over 4% ytd
  • There is some State St (I think) fund like that too, outstanding balanced performance, whopping minimum; keeps turning up on screeners.