Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Anyone using long-short equity fund or ETF?

I have none but just looking.

Comments

• I have vnmfx and ottrx in small amounts but some days wish entire equity allocation was there
  • beebee
    edited March 2016
    Joe said:

I have vnmfx and ottrx in small amounts but some days wish entire equity allocation was there

These two funds are linkable if entered as caps...VMNFX (I had to rearrange the letters) and OTTRX. Hope that helps.

GDMZX seems to fit into this L/S methodology if I understand its mandate correctly. AQR is one of this funds sub-advisors.

Mentioned here by @ducrow in another thread:

mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/26631/guidstone-defensive-market-fund-gdmzx#latest
  • edited March 2016
    QMNNX, QLENX, COGMX. There have been a few MFO threads that mention the first two (they're AQR funds, you can search for them), and David S. did a review of the latter in the Feb. commentary.

The two AQR funds use the same methodology, but the first is biased toward neutral market exposure and the second biased (somewhat) long. They've got varying availability depending on the brokerage. The share classes I linked are the investor shares (usually NTF if available), and there are institutional shares (cheaper E.R. and usually TF if available, with a very large minimum).
  • Coincidentally, I just opened a small position in BTAL today.
  • "U.S. Market Neutral Anti-Beta Fund" -- No offense, but I actually laughed out loud when I first heard that name. Dropped 20% out of the gate. Seems to be doing better lately, but still, what's the appeal of a "market neutral" fund that's volatile like a normal stock fund, and sports a 3 year return of 1.03%? Good luck anyway.
  • There can be a big difference between long-short and market neutral. Some L-S managers make huge macro-economic bets and are pretty much long-long-short. This actually is much riskier than being in a simple stock index fund. True market neutral funds are not easy to find, but if you are looking for something to add to your portfolio that is a true alternative to long-only, this is perhaps the best option. We like QMNIX, but there are a couple of others that have done well, too. Vanguard is not a true market neutral, but they do a good job.