Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia dead at 79: reports (closed on account of incivility)

Comments

• The political season just got even more interesting.
  • msf
    edited February 2016
    How fast can Republican contenders can prep? I hope we'll hear something more constructive tonight than: he was a great jurist, so to honor him the country should wait a year for a replacement to be nominated.

Quoting one of these gentlemen: "We owe it to him, & the Nation, for the Senate to ensure that the next President names his replacement."
  • The Supreme Court is an integral component of the functioning of our democracy. The Constitution is clear as to how vacancies are filled, and I would presume those wishing to follow the Constitution are familiar with the process.

Or...maybe not.
  • edited February 2016
    Republican Party is no longer a true Party. It is an anti-government insurgency.
  • Justice Scalia was appointed by President Reagan in his last year when Robert Bork failed to be confirmed by the House. There is no reason why President Obama cannot appoint a new justice this year, barring confirmation issue that may arise.
  • edited February 2016
    Sven said:

Justice Scalia was appointed by President Reagan in his last year when Robert Bork failed to be confirmed by the House. There is no reason why President Obama cannot appoint a new justice this year, barring confirmation issue that may arise.

Actually, that is not even close to the truth. Scalia was appointed to the Supreme Court in 1986, well before Reagan's last year as president. Reagan's last full year as president was 1988.

Bork was nominated in 1987 and his bid failed as we all know. Anthony Kennedy was nominated in 1987 and took the seat in Feb., 1988.
  • edited February 2016
    The President may appoint whomever he chooses, but this is one situation where he can't use an Executive order to get around the process. If the candidate doesn't get a simple majority within the Senate, it is delayed.
  • If there's a vote at all. Yes, this political season just got interesting.
  • The only chance this President would have to get through a nominee would be a consensus candidate that both parties supported. I don't think so! The Demos poisoned the waters by changing the rules to a simple majority vote to get through certain appellate judges and cabinet appointees when they held the Senate recently. I heard tonight a recess appointment is possible, but probably political suicide.
  • @MFO Members: Discussions that involve politics or religion usually wind-up in the !!!!
    Regards,
    Ted
    Danger Zone: Kenny Loggins
  • A note from David:
    We will speak no ill of the dead. Period.
This discussion has been closed.