Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Best course of action for these markets

Based on my propitiatory model, I have decided the best course of action is to go on vacation and tune out all sources of market info including this forum for rest of month. Will be back in March with more RARE grades. Good luck to all sailing these stormy seas.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • But really, is there nowhere to hide? I stayed fully invested through the '08-'09 Financial Crash--- for which NOBODY has gone to jail, yet! My risk-tolerance is substantial. But what we're seeing since the start of the year truly sucks it, HARD. I'm diversified, 8% foreign. Domestic stocks 43%, bonds 39%. I've been doing a lot of nothing, riding it out. With an eye on my DLFNX, it's breathtaking to see the flattening of the yield curve between 2-year and 10-year gov't paper. PRSNX is keeping its head above water, too. It's going to be a smelly year.
  • With 15 years to go until retirement, I'm buying ! I've been buying slowly throughout the last few months, so we'll see how that works out. I've caught a few falling knives, but hopefully, it won't matter in a few years. I hope. The theory goes - you are supposed to buy when everyone is selling.
  • I think this will have good outcomes.
  • Crash said:

But really, is there nowhere to hide? I stayed fully invested through the '08-'09 Financial Crash--- for which NOBODY has gone to jail, yet! My risk-tolerance is substantial. But what we're seeing since the start of the year truly sucks it, HARD. I'm diversified, 8% foreign. Domestic stocks 43%, bonds 39%. I've been doing a lot of nothing, riding it out. With an eye on my DLFNX, it's breathtaking to see the flattening of the yield curve between 2-year and 10-year gov't paper. PRSNX is keeping its head above water, too. It's going to be a smelly year.

Can you tolerate a Japanese type stock market decline from the peak of 39,000 ('89) to 15,000 (now)?

"The stock market teaches you to lose."
  • Well, we have an overload in energy stuff, bought 3-5 years ago...ouch. Maybe common sense says buy more when its down but at ages 75 and 73, do we want to catch the falling knife...hmm.
    The port has some long-held widders&orphans things which have actually held up so far. My gripe now is that everything on my buy list is going UP, geez. Example: Realty Income O, and Genuine Parts GPC. The latter I have watched for over a year, and then some smartmouth on the Barron Roundtable touted it and the next day it took off. Not pleased with the prices of VZ and MMM either. Probably telling me something: grab them at a decent entry price. IBM looks like a trainwreck, but Norfolk Southern NSC is up from when I got it, and if we run that anti-coal guy and his henchmen out there is hope.
    Best to all, hawk