Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

This can't be another 2008 - right?

13»

Comments

• @rono.

You mean Elizabeth Warren?

I think she is one of most capable senators we have.

Honestly, she is probably the most capable presidential candidate, who has chosen not to run.
  • Howdy,

Elizabeth Warren represents the progressive wing of the democratic party which is pretty much the same drum beat Bernie's marching to. Even staying silent (for now), her mere existence along with Bernie's campaign threatens to divide the democratic party. Alas and alack for HRC, her support comes from the old guard. I'm sorry, I've voted for a democrat for every Presidential election since I was old enough, although not because I consider myself a democrat. Not at all, I've always been a gamma delta iota. HRC is a warmongering neocon and a fluffer for Wall Street. I too would love to see a lady president but not HRC. Cripes, I voted for Granholm twice (and would again) and she was so bad Michigan should have broken relations with Canada.

And there is a LOT I like about the Donald and will have to see how he continues to evolve as a candidate. And keep in mind that when choosing between a business president and an ideologue - the former will never break his/her word, while the latter can have a vision in the middle of the night. Cruz is a bloody nut case and Marco scares me to death.

And it's all very curious,

the revolution will be both live and on your smart phone,

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • rono said:

And keep in mind that when choosing between a business president and an ideologue - the former will never break his/her word, while the latter can have a vision in the middle of the night.

Sorry @rono, that is such a romanticized/naive view of a business person and not even close to reality. There are honest business leaders and there are business leaders that will sell their mothers for a price and make any promise they can to get a deal. And I am not talking about those just in the Mob business who often can have better code of honor than some of the business people I have dealt with. Being in the business world for long enough can make one lose faith in humanity.

I think you are also confusing religious fanatics with ideologues. Elizabeth Warren is also an ideologue but not of the kind that gets visions or orders from God.

There is also a feeling amongst many that business CEOs make good Presidents for being able to make tough decisions and execute. Just one problem. CEOs deal with three constituents - stakeholders, employees, customers. Very often these tough decisions are based on one or more of those constituents being thrown under the bus. President does not have that luxury in most cases. His stakeholders, employees and customers are all in the same pool and vote to elect him. So many of the "skills" shown as a CEO aren't applicable in leading the country.

In my opinion, it all boils down to judging the person in what they say and do and their record to deliver, not what their profession is or has been.
  • I would worry some of these less friendly business candidates would change the exemptions for municipal bonds. The munis have done well in 2016 albeit not like the Treasuries. The junk munis not as well. HYD, the ETF for junk munis is having one of its worst days in many a moon. If that continues throughout the day will sell a very large slug of my open end junk muni fund
  • This can't be another 2008 - right?
  • Dex
    edited February 2016
    Charles said:

This can't be another 2008 - right?

You meant to ask "This can't be another 1929 - right?"
  • Junkster said:

I would worry some of these less friendly business candidates would change the exemptions for municipal bonds. The munis have done well in 2016 albeit not like the Treasuries. The junk munis not as well. HYD, the ETF for junk munis is having one of its worst days in many a moon. If that continues throughout the day will sell a very large slug of my open end junk muni fund

I think NHMAX might be a better indicator as to the direction of HY munis.
  • Junkster said:

I would worry some of these less friendly business candidates would change the exemptions for municipal bonds. The munis have done well in 2016 albeit not like the Treasuries. The junk munis not as well. HYD, the ETF for junk munis is having one of its worst days in many a moon. If that continues throughout the day will sell a very large slug of my open end junk muni fund

...Just came upon this: I LIKE it.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/obama-budget-taxpayers-stadiums_us_56ba3d4ee4b0c3c5504f0dc7
  • Junkster said:

NHMAX up .04 and HYD down .03 today - munis still looking good.

• Just looking at my portfolio - PRFHX, MITFX and WMFAX up today as well.
  • edited February 2016
    Dex said:

Junkster said:

NHMAX up .04 and HYD down .03 today - munis still looking good.

HYD down .11. Had the HYMB junk muni ETF confirmed the weakness in HYD (and on heavy volume too) would have sold more of my open end.