Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Thanks for the tip.
  • I Own Janus Balance Fund, This Is Not Good News
  • edited December 2015
    I think it is bigger than that. I think bond funds in general are not going to be the place to be for the next 10 years. People don't leave at age 47 to spend time with their family. No, they don't. They don't. The smartest managers are those who know how good they've had in their "area of expertise" and quit at the top.

I'm going to seriously reconsider all my bond and balanced funds. Cash might be better option. Also looking at GTSOX and TALSX, but so far not been convinced enough to pull the trigger.

On a side note, Weil is pals with Gross. I can't help but wonder there is a something cooking in bond-world at Janus. I'm frankly SEEin the rat before I'm smelling it.

Full disclosure, I own JUCDX and JPVDX.
  • VF - I agree, at age 47 at the height of your career you don't quit - especially someone as good as Gibson Smith was - something else is going on. I've owned several Janus funds in taxable accounts, some for 20 years, but have been paring them down in recent years and am left with JANIX, JNGLX, and JNPSX. Although they have nothing to do with the fixed income side, I'm still concerned about Janus' corporate culture.

As far as my balanced funds go I'm not worried - when interest rates rise, the balanced funds will buy new bonds at higher rates to offset the loss in principal when their existing bond holdings mature. My balanced funds I own have short durations and mostly corporate debt.
  • I have to admit I am surprised by this development. Only 12 months since Gross came aboard? I thought it would take at least 18.:)