Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• YAY!! Ted's back!!
  • edited November 2015
    @Ted Glad to see you are feeling better!

The last paragraph of this article states there is no ideal replacement for a traditional 60 - 40 portfolio. That's the rub for this retail investor as I look at a low interest rate world and an equity market that in general appears to have limited upside left. But, most alternative investment products for the retail investor don't impress me either. My ruminating did recently result in me adding RPGAX to my portfolio. It layers about 10% alternative investments onto a globally diversified portfolio that also contains about 60% stocks and about 30% bonds and related investments. It will be interesting to see if this mutual fund helps me to successfully navigate in the current investment environment. (Thanks to @VintageFreak for bringing RPGAX to my attention.)
  • Nice to see Ted is up and about.

We're heading into end of year tax planning season, so my first thought on seeing the thread title was: I didn't think the 60/40 rule on taxing foreign currency was changed in the budget agreement.

Yes, I go for the obscure, and no, I don't come anywhere close to investing in stuff like this.
  • I remain intrigued by volatility plays like RSAIX but mostly following them rather than investing.
  • YAY Ted!!! Glad 2 C U ....

Push off 'n go for it... 'nuff said
  • This author may be veering off the road to sound retirement portfolio construction. Despite low interest rates, bonds still provide a ballast to stocks. Of course, anyone with access to TIAA Guaranteed Traditional (now paying 4% with floor of 3%) has less principal risk due to interest rate fluctuations). QE hasn't diminished a retiree's need for a truly balance portfolio. And remember, stocks are stocks, and bonds are bonds; and the two should never been confused with each other.