Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Obamacare - cost is not Affordable

Dex
edited October 2015 in Off-Topic
The 2016 Obamacare rates are on the BCBS site - they are high to say the least.
I'll be 61 next year, single, non smoker

My current plan is $342/mo (a grandfathered plan, no longer offered) and without Obamacare it would have been less.

This is the lowest plan a HMO - $568/mo. I may get a 105/mo subsidy next year but not when I'm 62
Deductible (s): $5,500
Primary Care Visit to Treat an Injury or Illness: You pay $50.00 More Details
Out of Pocket Max: $6,850

Last year when I checked what I would pay with a subsidy it was $310/mo - so rates have gone up a great deal.

I don't know how people will be able to afford it.

If I were considering retiring early today the way I did 9 years ago, I would not do it. Obamacare is just too expensive and the increases are too high.

One idea of Obamacare was that people could leave a company that provided health insurance. Now, you can't leave a company with health insurance.

Comments

• @Dex I feel your pain. Does your area offer Aetna? I had BC/BS and switched to Aetna last year...it was about $100/month cheaper and the network of doctors was virtually the same. It is insane...I will never qualify for a subsidy, so I'm at the mercy of the insurance agencies. Luckily, my HSA has done well, but I'm trying to wait till I'm on Medicare to start using it.

• @little5bee thanks - first look the 2016 rates not in the system from what I can tell -
  • @Dex I know...after you stated BC/BS had the 2016 rates up, I checked Aetna, too. I'm really nervous...I think it will not be good news on November 1. I plan on shopping around, as well.
  • @little5bee based upon what I'm seeing on the BCBS site from '15 to '16 it is a 30% increase, excluding subsidies.
  • FYI, I've been informed by my insurance company (Anthem) that my monthly payments for the same policy will rise by 32%. Oh, excuse me, I exaggerate. Rounded off it's only going up by 31.9%. This follows the 16% rise from last year.

I should add that this increase in payments is so large because the subsidy is unchanged. The increased cost for the policy itself is between 11-12%, the government picking up the same gross amount as last year with me picking up the entire increase.

Again, this is from the insurance company. I don't believe we will be able to see our actual choices of policies until November 1.
  • Vert said:

the government picking up the same gross amount as last year with me picking up the entire increase.

That's interesting. It might get people to complain. But I doubt anything will change. Except fewer people will sign up for Obamacare.
  • >> Except fewer people will sign up for Obamacare.

Penalties are going up, I believe.
  • What you're experiencing is widespread of course. Why wouldn't premiums increase if underwriting standards are relaxed or eliminated (e.g., for preexisting conditions) and for keeping "kids" on their parents' policies until the "kid" is 26. The plain truth is that these changes result in higher premiums. And did I mention that healthy uninsured persons are not signing up for Obama care but of course, those with preexisting insurance are signing up in higher numbers. Once again, this leads to higher insurance premiums. If you qualify for Medicaid and live in a state that participates, your fellow citizens will pay a portion of your premium, maybe. The whole thing is revolting.
  • edited October 2015
    @Jim0445 not to mention pediatric care, maternity, etc.....even if you are male or wayyy past childbearing, i.e., me!

@davidrmoran you are correct! I think it's 2% of AGI for this year....pick your poison.
  • This year I had a general physical with tests - free

Colonoscopy - free - I think the cost was about $2,000 or so. I didn't pay attention; I didn't pay it directly (of course it was in the premiums).

Add that to the cost factor.
  • edited October 2015
    @ Jim0445:
    >> If you qualify for Medicaid and live in a state that participates, your fellow citizens will pay a portion of your premium, maybe. The whole thing is revolting.

I know! Like property taxes for schoolteachers and firefighters and cops! How dare they?

More seriously, what do you propose instead? How would you fund it?

@Dex:
    >> This year I had a general physical with tests - free
    >> Colonoscopy - free - I think the cost was about $2,000 or so. I didn't pay attention; I didn't pay it directly (of course it was in the premiums).
    >> Add that to the cost factor.

One of the many nice things about Medicare is that you get to see exactly what the provider billed and also then was paid; and in most cases it is amazingly low, showing real bargain and value negotiating.
  • @ Jim0445:
    >> If you qualify for Medicaid and live in a state that participates, your fellow citizens will pay a portion of your premium, maybe. The whole thing is revolting.

I know! Like property taxes for schoolteachers and firefighters and cops! How dare they?

More seriously, what do you propose instead? How would you fund it?

Again you demonstrate a profound lack of a knowledge base of the subject(s) and a confablulation of the mulaxitiparticipation.

• msf
    edited October 2015
    Three sites that may provide a bit of a broader perspective (beyond individual anecdotes):

KFF analysis of 2016 premium changes (Oct 26, 2015): The price change for 2016 of benchmark plans (2nd lowest silver plan) ranges from -10.6% to +40.9% depending on location. Average (before subsidy) is 10.4%, after subsidy (for a 30 year old earning $30K) is 0.1%.

ACASignups.net weighted average increases (Oct 15, 2015): This is an interesting site. Charles Gaba uses numbers of people actually enrolled to compute the average increase per real person. It comes out to about 13%, assuming that no one shops for a lower cost plan. (That "shop around" assumption is built into the KFF and ACA figures implicitly assume people will shop around, because they use the 2nd lowest silver plan, which is likely not the same insurer's plan as in 2015.)

Grandmothered/Grandfathered plans: Grandfathered plans are still allowed to cap benefits on an annual basis, and are not required to provide preventive care for free (or any of the other essential ACA health benefits). On the other hand, like ACA plans they do have to include children under age 26, and have to refund premiums if they spend less than 80% of premiums on claims.

Edit: I clarified a sentence about the second site; I worded it poorly so that it likely would be read to mean the opposite of what I intended.
  • msf said:

Grandmothered/Grandfathered plans: Grandfathered plans are still allowed to cap benefits on an annual basis, and are not required to provide preventive care for free (or any of the other essential ACA health benefits). On the other hand, like ACA plans they do have to include children under age 26, and have to refund premiums if they spend less than 80% of premiums on claims.

Do those exist? I had one, Obamacare mandated changes eliminated the GF aspect. This year my non exchange plan goes away - I have to go to the exchange.

• As a legal matter, grandfathered plans may exist indefinitely under ACA. As a practical matter, insurance companies terminate plans and start new ones all the time.

You may be confusing grandfathered and grandmothered plans. The ACA does not bar the latter until 2017 (and HHS could extend the date again). If one has a grandfathered plan, it is required to identify itself as such. Here is a model notice from DOL:
    http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/grandfatherregmodelnotice.doc (Word Doc)

ACA does not mean exchange plan. I have a non-exchange ACA plan. While my insurer offered its plans both on- and off-exchange in my county, it only offered its ACA plans off-exchange two miles from me, in the next county.
  • @Dex,

>> Again you demonstrate a profound lack of a knowledge base of the subject(s) and a confablulation of the mulaxitiparticipation.

Lolz, this is fabulous, like Izzy on Miami Vice.
  • I would be a lot happier if the political elite had to enroll as well...so tired of a two tier system. Any candidate who had this as part of his/her platform would have my vote...maybe even Bernie!
  • The old saying is that if you look at a bill's title (Affordable Care Act in this situation), you can assume it will do the exact opposite of their stated title.
  • When I was 62 in 2014, I thought of retiring. But with ACA coming up, I dropped the plan and sticking to my job and so it will be till I turn 66 :and will have insurance sharing plan in the company: with deduction of 158/ pm pretax currently.( for me and my wife)
  • dicksonL said:

When I was 62 in 2014, I thought of retiring. But with ACA coming up, I dropped the plan and sticking to my job and so it will be till I turn 66 :and will have insurance sharing plan in the company: with deduction of 158/ pm pretax currently.( for me and my wife)

I wonder how many people did the same and how many young people don't have a job as a result.

I would do the same as you if I was faced by the decision to retire or not.

• edited October 2015
    Thanks dex for like thoughts.

Person A: why are you idle? Person B: So?
    A: you can work hard B: so?
    A: you can earn more and save more. B: so?
    A: You can enjoy your retirement. B: Already I am doing that.
    A: :(
    So why get early into ACA ?
  • dicksonL said:

Thanks dex for like thoughts.

Person A: why are you idle? Person B: So?
    A: you can work hard B: so?
    A: you can earn more and save more. B: so?
    A: You can enjoy your retirement. B: Already I am doing that.
    A: :(
    So why get early into ACA ?

Are you related to @DavidrMoran ?

• edited October 2015
    noway, I dunno who is that, except he is a regular contributor.
  • Dex
    edited October 2015
    dicksonL said:

noway, I dunno who is that, except he is a regular contributor.
    Like when paris Hilton was asked about WSJ: she said "is it gooood?"

He is a black hole of knowledge and information - get too close and he sucks you into an alternative universe where the Mad Hatter rules the universe.

So, be careful ... that question and answer post was sounding like him.

Were you saying that there are people not working who don't have ACA or who do?
  • All insurance is costing more. Our small company plan had only about 15-18% increase in premium, but that is only because we locked in that "low" rate in August. Otherwise increases would be about 30%. Also, it used to be that premiums were based on partly on current health and health history. Not anymore. Now group plans are done by age. Those of us who are healthy and older (I mean mature) are really getting reamed. I now have a Medicare card, but because our company has fewer than 25 employees, the company health plan is the primary insurance, with Medicare a backup. Next year, my wife turns 65, too. Then I will drop my company plan, and we will both be on Medicare A and B and probably a supplemental policy. All in all, it will cost as much as our small company plan does.
  • edited October 2015
    Has anyone considered increasing their IRA or 401k contributions to reduce their income and thus increase their healthcare subsidy on ACA? I hate the title of this article but still worth noting:
    emarotta.com/how-to-bilk-obamacare/
    Also, my impression is that withdrawals from Roth IRAs don't count towards income for the ACA so there are strategies for those who want to retire early: money.usnews.com/money/blogs/on-retirement/2013/11/11/the-obamacare-trick-early-retirees-should-knowhttp://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/on-retirement/2013/11/11/the-obamacare-trick-early-retirees-should-know

forbes.com/sites/carolynmcclanahan/2014/11/14/how-early-retirees-can-get-cheap-health-insurance-through-obamacare/
  • edited October 2015
    @BobC
    >> we will both be on Medicare A and B and probably a supplemental policy. All in all, it will cost as much as our small company plan does.

? From my cost experience using a Tufts Healthcare supp (and there is a ton of similar competition), this would mean your company plan is quite a bargain, which I infer is not what you're saying. It depends on drug plans too (D), of course, but some of those are really cheap as well. If you do Tufts or competitors' HMO, they are even cheaper, the lowest Tufts one being free, and they include D, though naturally co-pays etc. are higher.

So I am not following your thinking.
  • beebee
    edited October 2015
    @LewisBraham said,
    "Also, my impression is that withdrawals from Roth IRAs don't count towards income for the ACA so there are strategies for those who want to retire early"

It's difficult for a retiree (younger than 65 years old) not have to take a larger and larger taxable IRA distributions to pay insurance premiums as these premiums rise by a third or more each year.

These IRA distributions, in effect, increases AGI making it less and less likely an ACA subsidy will factor into the equation. The poor don't have an IRA to raid. Is this wealth redistribution or dumb luck?

How often have you not qualified for financial help (such as FAFSA) because you were just more frugal than your co-worker?

A saver and their savings are soon parted.

Raiding their cookie jar has its own health risks.
  • edited October 2015
    @Bee, That the poor have less savings to cover their healthcare costs has less to do with they're not being "frugal" and more to do with the fact that wages for the average American have not increased on an inflation adjusted basis for over 30 years. In fact, wages for the poorest workers receiving minimum wage have actually declined on an inflation-adjusted basis since 1968: pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/07/23/5-facts-about-the-minimum-wage/ Meanwhile, healthcare costs have increased well above the general CPI inflation rate long before and after the ACA passed. This idea that every poor person in the U.S. is somehow irresponsible or lazy has to stop. It's just not true.