Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Keynes Comes to Canada

The Liberal Party's platform:

"Interest rates are at historic lows, our current infrastructure is aging rapidly, and our economy is stuck in neutral. Now is the time to invest."

Now THERE's a wacky idea. We have a great chance to monitor our neighbor, as this experiment plays out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/23/opinion/keynes-comes-to-canada.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-4&action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&pgtype=article

Comments

• The opposite of wacky. Instead, wait till things fall down, doing more damage, and it's way more expensive? Man.
  • "Since 2010 public investment has been falling as a share of G.D.P. in both Europe and the United States, and it’s now well below pre-crisis levels. "

Why is he so wrapped up in public investment as a share of GDP? If, a bridge is in great shape, do you replace it with a new one just to increase the PI share of GDP?
  • edited October 2015
    This is just a guess, but I think we may be able to find things which require maintenance without spending too much effort.
  • PRESSmUP said:

This is just a guess, but I think we may be able to find things which require maintenance without spending too much effort.

Guess ... guessing ... haven't we had a little too much of that e.g. Bush/Iraq!

• PRESSmUP said:

Absolutely. Although in this country so much money will probably be funneled to cronies and whatnot not sure how much of an end result we'd get if we intended to really fix the aging infrastructure in this country.
  • Dex said:

PRESSmUP said:

Guess ... guessing ... haven't we had a little too much of that e.g. Bush/Iraq!

OK....how about this. I KNOW we will be able to find things that require maintenance such that we won't need to tear down things which work.

Better?
  • Scott and Dex, I couldn't agree more.
  • What??? We haven't completed any "shovel-ready" projects??
  • Several busy intersections here in my city are lately re-paved. But then the old, decrepit, pot-holed remainder is left untouched. It's frickin' criminal. Of course, it's not such an issue, down South.