Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Open Thread: What Are You Buying/Selling/Pondering

Comments

• edited August 2015
    Buying cheap wine:)
  • Added FPACX, that I reduced significantly some time ago. Hope the fund will start buying at last after this correction.
  • hank said:

Life is too short to drink cheap wine, or cheap scotch. How about settling for less expensive?

• I had a couple limit orders come through which a few weeks ago thought were stretches. Ended up with CHKP @ 68.7 and GILD at 97.3. Hoping like everyone else recent buys work out ASAP.

Also had to buy rounds of beers and shots after my first hole-in-one yesterday. Screw the stock market!!!
  • edited August 2015
    Screw the stock market!!!
    Good for you!:):):)

"and GILD at 97": Great buy! I thought that I did OK at 104.5 but you really stole it. Nice work!
  • edited August 2015
    Hi @MikeM,

That is great. Been playing now more than forty years and never had one (came close a few times) in regulation play. Now I have holed a few just knocking ball into greens form time to tme. Down where I live the newspaper will do a short blurb if called in and it is witnessed.
  • @MikeM Also had to buy rounds of beers and shots after my first hole-in-one yesterday.

Congrats! I've never had one...been within inches a few times. My boyfriend has had two...one legit and one after he plunked his first one in the water....actually, a hole in three. What was the yardage and club used?
  • I am investing with those value investors I trust the most....Bill Nygren, David Herro and the other adults in the room at Oakmark. Also, I am dipping my toe into the ETFs QVAL and IVAL.

For aggressive growth, the folks at Primecap are on my short list right now. Also, Seafarer and Matthews Funds for emerging markets.

Trying to resist the temptation to commit too much on the awful days, lest I run out of dry powder when it potentially gets much, much worse.
  • hank said:

Two thumbs up on that sentiment. Trader Joe's used to have a 2 buck chuck, but I think it recently became like $3.50 and they chucked quality a bit.

$8 or less for Columbia Crest Merlot, you can't go wrong. JMHO

• DavidV said:

Added FPACX, that I reduced significantly some time ago. Hope the fund will start buying at last after this correction.

This is a wonderful idea I think. I will likely do the same this weekend. Add to all my FPA holdings.
  • Added more shares of AAPL at these lower prices. Eventually they should pay off well.
  • @johnC, Apple reported that China's demand on iPhone has not softened despite the market downturn. Same cannot be said for Samsung and HTC - both are sustaining decline on the high and low ends of their product lines.

In the longer term, AAPL will do better than most tech stocks.
  • Bought a little of Brookfield BPY (thanks to all posters who mentioned this one) at 20 on Monday. Other than that, keeping some cash to buy widows n orphans stuff plucked from the Div Aristocrats when they swoon further. May add FBIOX to the mix, not sure it will look good in a Geezer Portfolio, but I like it.
    Stiff upper lips all, this is bound to get worse.
    Best, hawk

In terms of BPY, it has become a very large holding for me and I'll buy more under 19 and I'll consider selling off some probably around NAV (which is approximately 28; book value is listed at about $28, the company has stated IFRS value is $30) and then continuing to hold a large part of it going forward. It may take a long time to get to NAV and that's fine, I'm happy to hold it and reinvest dividends. I don't think there's anything like it in the real estate investment universe and given that it is not a REIT (and therefore isn't in REIT indexes, among other issues) it appears to have been largely overlooked by many.

Canaccord's estimated NAV is $28.79, which is in the same ballpark.
    The CG target price of $28 is still below its Brookfield NAV (net asset value) estimate of $28.79 per LP unit.

CG – Brookfield Property Partners: Rationale
    Brookfield Property Partners reported FFO per diluted unit of $0.25 down from $0.28 Y/Y and below the CG estimate of $0.28.
    CG noted that the 10 percent reduction Y/Y in FFO per unit was attributed to the issuance of $1.8 billion of preferred equity to the Qatar sovereign wealth fund and $9 million reduction in FFO from FX, the strong USD versus other currencies.
    CG also noted that the Canary Wharf investment will not be accretive until later years after development is completed; however, Brookfield Property Partners' Brookfield Place in lower Manhattan should begin to contribute to FFO as it is occupied in FY 2016.
    CG felt that the announcement of COO and CFO management changes at Brookfield would be viewed positively by the market, as they are experienced Brookfield REIT executives.
    The CG NAV per LP unit of $28.79 represents an approximated 19.5 percent discount from current pricing.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/closer-look-brookfield-realm-following-180214423.html

--------

Additionally, Brookfield Property can be opportunistic and participates in private funds.

"Now besides office and retail we have earmarked a portion of our balance sheet for investments that are opportunistic. These investments are made besides institutional investors in Brookfield-sponsored funds. These types of deals which leverage our real estate franchise earn outsized returns. Our ability to invest large sums of capital with institutional partners in varied markets and asset classes provides a competitive advantage and helps boost our overall returns beyond those of a typical REIT. Our opportunistic investment strategy currently represents about 10% of our balance sheet. "

"As I mentioned hopefully you'll remember on our last call our $1.4 billion commitment to the Brookfield Strategic Real Estate Partners I or BSREP I fund has been virtually fully invested and we expect to be entering into the capital harvesting phase in the near-term. The capital and profits returned from BSREP I will be used to fund our commitment to BSREP II. Other than timing differences for the most part we expect our commitments to opportunistic investment initiatives to be self-funded from capital recycled from prior opportunistic funds.

During the second quarter two large opportunistic transactions were announced for this second BSREP fund. The first, the acquisition of Associated Estates, an owner operator of 15,000 multifamily units throughout the U.S. which is expected to close on August 7. While the second, the acquisition of Center Parcs UK, a collection of five short break holiday destination villages in UK closed yesterday. Our proportionate equity commitment for these investments totals $775 million for $2 billion of assets."

---

Again, as I've noted before, it's not a conservative name and it is a partnership. That said, my view is that you have one of the best global real estate operators, class A real estate and a global vehicle that can be opportunistic - plus, it's trading at less than book. I'm happy to keep reinvesting dividends.
  • Put in a buy order to add to my current, small-ish stake in SFGIX. I've told myself I was waiting for a dip to add, and here it is... I'm putting in half of the cash I raised last week (great timing through sheer luck) by selling my stake in MPACX.

Inspired by Scott, I'm looking at BPY, which has been active recently here in Brazil.
  • edited August 2015
    expatsp said:

Put in a buy order to add to my current, small-ish stake in SFGIX. I've told myself I was waiting for a dip to add, and here it is... I'm putting in half of the cash I raised last week (great timing through sheer luck) by selling my stake in MPACX.

Inspired by Scott, I'm looking at BPY, which has been active recently here in Brazil.

I wanted to thank you for your comments on Brazil the other day, they were extremely informative and much appreciated!

Edited to add:
    May add to Abbott Labs (ABT), which is just a tad oversold with a 14 RSI on the daily chart. Some people perhaps a tad worried about something with a lot of EM exposure, me thinks? The boring stock of the maker of things like Ensure, thrown out like an overhyped internet stock that missed a quarter or something.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=ABT&p=D&b=5&g=0&id=p53907571306
  • Could be wrong again but I sold APPL, GILD, BX and OKS as I think that I will be able to buy them back shortly at lower prices. Mostly just preserving what profits I do have in these. We'll see.
  • Picked up att bonds ~ 5.7% yield....
  • @Mark-:-O I guess that I bought your GILD...
  • I had been waiting for a 10% pullback, which has been triggered....so, I am deploying a 35% slug of my 401K rollover amount to the following:

-Added to positions in VVPSX and BERIX

-Established new positions in PQIDX, ETNHX, SCMFX and FMIJX

Might be a bit early, but rules are rules.

press
  • edited August 2015
    @mark: thanks for selling BX, its up over 6% today. Its one that I hold and has done pretty well as you noted. This usually happens when I sell a stock too. Sell it goes up buy it goes down, part of the crazy world of individual stocks. This is a reason I have more in funds than stocks:)
  • I nibbled at all four Grandeur Peak funds, primarily just rebalancing after Monday's declines.
  • edited August 2015
    Even at the bottom in 2008/09, FPACX did not go to all stock or reduced their cash %age significantly, so I doubt they do that now. However, they may use a small %age of their cash to buy some stuff on the cheap (relatively).
  • edited August 2015
    I doubled my position in ARTYX. Added to PQTDX and RNDLX (my only bond fund). Made minor shifts in education IRAs to move from domestic to International. Eliminated VGSTX and moved the money to VMVFX.
  • Bought VGENX. I'm either a contrarian or a fool or maybe both.
  • edited August 2015
    mrc70 said:

I doubled my position in ARTYX.

Not for the squeamish, but could turn out to be a nice move. I'm a big fan of the Artisan shop, and it looks like they're sitting on a mound of cash.
  • edited August 2015
    I had a small amount originally in that fund, so that is secret.:-)
    But overall, I have significant exposure to EM thru GPEOX, SFGIX and ARTYX, and my foreign (ARTKX) and global funds (VMVFX, GPGOX). . I hate to accumulate funds like that in one area (EM), but I ended up doing it.
  • edited August 2015

Bought VGENX. I'm either a contrarian or a fool or maybe both.

I already used the "not for the squeamish" line...that fits here as well. This just may turn out very well for you if you give it at least 12 months.

• Added to Inter Pipeline (IPPLF)
  • The up/down volume so far today is looking like one of the strongest in many a year.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.