Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Some crazy moves - CVS -11%

edited August 2015 in Off-Topic
Celgene was -20% at one point, now -5%. GE was down double digits at one point. Verizon was down over 10% at one point, now -2%.

Comments

• edited August 2015
    Hi @scott

Yes.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess I'm gonna buy on this "dip", eh?

Sure don't mean I'm right; but looking around there are too many sells in areas that have very good value.
    Appears this selling is wholesale.

'Course watched and took action with similar moves in mid-2008.

As things stand right now (10am) our house is gonna have a butt kicking even with 40% in IG bonds.

Already some recovery as you noted in certain areas of etf's that I track. But, it is early in the day, eh?

All of the knowledge I have gathered over the years do not let me understand the weak dollar right now; and in particular against the Euro.

Machines are trading the numbers and has very little to do with the socio/economic in place no more than 2 weeks ago. The world has not melted..........IMO

Sadly, I have to be away from the home today. Will have to suffer whatever arrives today.

• Be happy, not sad. Whatever you miss you can't do anything about.
  • At this time GILD is actually UP! Talk about crazy!
  • edited August 2015
    Apparently Starbucks (SBUX) was another -20% this morning. I'm pleased with where I got GILD pre-market.

HCA was seen in the 40's briefly for a minute. It closed Friday in the $80's. Short time later it was back in the $80's.

• edited August 2015
    Bloomberg TV has numerous reports of people unable to access accounts at several big brokerages. They attribute it to heavy buying? I'm not too sure about that.

I'm now having trouble getting my Bloomberg App to load on my tablet. (Worse things have happened):)
    Busy day I guess.
  • I saw USMV down about 25-30% at the opening bell. I did a double-take when I saw it.
  • Very odd action today. It wouldn't surprise me that whoever was buying in the first 10 minutes of trading this morning, will be selling those same shares this afternoon.
  • Yes, very strange indeed. USMV is supposed to be low volatility ETF, yet it moved from about $41 on Friday's close to $27.43 in 15 mins after the open today. That's much worse than the overall market. How could a "low volatility" ETF be so much more volatile than the overall market?
  • Yes, very strange indeed. USMV is supposed to be low volatility ETF, yet it moved from about $41 on Friday's close to $27.43 in 15 mins after the open today. That's much worse than the overall market. How could a "low volatility" ETF be so much more volatile than the overall market?

Perhaps when there's not much of a market for it and liquidity is dried up. I think this morning's crashes in many different names was more than a little concerning.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-08-24/meanwhile-beneath-surface-market-liquidity-worse-during-flash-crash
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I grabbed FV at 19.10. That one trade brought me from down 4% to up a tad overall. It traded as low as $11.70! My word someone got screwed. But the explanation is simple, yes, the bids were in for who knows how long and some fools probably traded without placing limit orders. I've seen this type of thing with CEF's but never ETFs like today.