Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

what non-bond funds/etfs have held up the best?

I was on vacation for a week or so and came back to a messed-up portfolio! I own four funds that managed to hang in there against all odds:
AZIDX -- recommended by someone on the discussion boards (don't remember who)....THANK YOU!!
BMATX -- ditto
OTCRX -- ditto
MCXAX -- I bought this for its outperformance in the last few months of the upswing...don't know how it managed to do so well in the downturn...wish I had bought more.

I try to steady my nerves by reminding myself that the portfolio managers are picking up equities at bargain prices and in a few months, I will be happy that I bought during the downturn.

Which non-bond funds/etfs have outperformed in your portfolios?

Thanks for the input!

Comments

• Art
    edited August 2015
    Real estate. FREEX ,DFREX.
  • edited August 2015
    Market neutral QMNNX. Also, I've been surprised how contained QUSOX's losses have been. It's held up better than GPROX, even with an all-foreign portfolio.
  • edited August 2015

I was on vacation for a week or so and came back to a messed-up portfolio! I own four funds that managed to hang in there against all odds:
    AZIDX -- recommended by someone on the discussion boards (don't remember who)....THANK YOU!!
    BMATX -- ditto
    OTCRX -- ditto
    MCXAX -- I bought this for its outperformance in the last few months of the upswing...don't know how it managed to do so well in the downturn...wish I had bought more.

I try to steady my nerves by reminding myself that the portfolio managers are picking up equities at bargain prices and in a few months, I will be happy that I bought during the downturn.

Which non-bond funds/etfs have outperformed in your portfolios?

Thanks for the input!

I recommended AZIIX on this board before, so it could have been me, although I was a little disappointed that it went down .88 on Friday. I thought it would have gone down less. Other funds that held up for me were MHFAX, AMFAX, HFXIX, and like you I own MCXIX.
  • I don't own any of those alternative funds. I wouldn't know where to begin in researching them and discovering their advantages.
  • I too was on vacation and came back to a slightly different portfolio. In the two weeks, of my etfs, VNQ lost the least, funds FRUAX and MMUIX (utilities)and surprisingly OSMYX my small cap intl. Of my stocks, Southwest Ar (LUV) only was down 2% in that period. Poetic justice for me on LUV since while trying to get to Myrtle Beach by air, was stranded in Baltimore on the 15th, took 7 hours to find my luggage since all aircraft grounded due to that "glich" at FAA then had to drive to Myrtle Beach (9 hours). Maybe that was the harbinger of things to come:). Got home today to portfolio that to say the least, was a bit lower. Did manage to catch an octopus while deep sea fishing though. I thought I had caught my line on the bottom it felt so heavy reeling it in:)
  • edited August 2015
    @Chinfist MCXAX/MCXIX up both Friday and today! I'm thinking they must be long volatility...no other way to explain it.
  • MCXIX, not just up, way up. I've been in it a while and tempted to go in even heavier now, but geez, one has to wonder.
  • @wxman123 I know, I'm tempted, too, but it seems like whenever I go all in on a particular fund, it starts to underperform.
  • I know that problem littlebee! Still, up nearly 10% TODAY did ease the sting of a brutal day just a bit. Think I'll stand pat for now. Thank the lord this is a 40 Act fund or you'd really have to wonder.
  • edited August 2015
    I think HSGFX has gained about 7% over the past 3 days. By my (rough) reckoning, another 3% gain and the fund will achieve "break-even" over the past year. I'm pulling for Dr. Hussman. It's been a long dry spell. (Although I haven't held the fund in a long time.)

I can't find any green among the ones I own today. Not even the stinking bond funds. A sea of red.
    I'll go look again.:)

• @slick Did manage to catch an octopus while deep sea fishing though.

Sounds like a lot more fun than watching the stock market lately!
  • @hank I'll go look again.

Very brave. My account is at Schwab, but I am checking my fund holdings on msn.com. Too chicken to look....it's times like this that I wish my checking account/bill pay was somewhere other then Schwab. During '08/'09, I actually covered up the brokerage account with my hand when I had to use the bill pay!
  • little5bee and wxman, yes, the performance of MCXIX certainly eased the pain some. This is the most unpredictable fund I have ever owned. Normally I would be concerned with such unpredictability, but at this point, who cares?
  • edited August 2015
    Slick! "...Did manage to catch an octopus while deep sea fishing though. I thought I had caught my line on the bottom it felt so heavy reeling it in." I'm jealous. Sounds like a monumental fight! Good on ya. PRWCX is STILL positive for the year, so far.
  • edited August 2015
    AKREX is only down 1% YTD, up 18% 5YR AR

MBEAX is down 2% YTD, 10% 5YR AR, 7% 10YR AR

PRWCX is up for the year!
  • My newest fund, ALNNX did fairly well, down only 0.82% yesterday.
  • @Chinfist @wxman Hard to know when to buy MCXAX/MCXIX. I usually try to buy funds on a down day...doesn't work so well with MCXAX/MCXIX...as @Chinfist said...totally unpredictable. Maybe we could get a MFO profile on it?

• I suspect catalyst macro must be engaged in some form of trend day trading, most likely long-short volatility, or these guys are the smartest guys in the world. Its a relatively small fund and appears to be the flagship of the Catalyst brand. Their results are eye-popping, up 60% YTD. I'll enjoy the ride for now. Hey, anyone old enough to remember Crabbe-Huson "special" fund, or PBHG "select," just saying....
  • @wxman123 futures up big today...it will be interesting to see how MCXAX/MCXIX performs today. Yes, I agree, they must be trading volatility.