Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Media Stocks Obliterated

edited August 2015 in Off-Topic
After Disney's quarter, much concern about people leaving cable and watching online.

Disney down another 5%, Fox -11% (about 52 week low), Viacom -20% (52 wk low and WAY off the high), Time Warner -5% and that's just today, significant losses in these names and others in recent days. Discovery -12% yesterday, about at a 52 wk low, Scripps Networks (which I believe is Food Network/Travel Channel) at 52week low.

Comments

• edited August 2015
    I see a lot of small cap biotechs down 5% to 10% today including two I held as recently as last week. I am down to only one now (IG) and may well get shaken out of that today. Heavens forbid if we have a negative reaction to tomorrow's employment report.
  • edited August 2015
    Junkster said:

I see a lot of small cap biotechs down 5% to 10% today including two I held as recently as last week. Heavens forbid if we have a negative reaction to tomorrow's employment report.

Apple down, cyber security stocks down, Keurig -30% (perhaps coke shouldn't have made that investment in them - was $158 last November, now $52), biotech down, media stocks wrecked.

Obviously not technical in nature or anything beyond a feeling, but market feels as if there's considerable underlying unease.
  • IBB is down 3 - 4%, SBIO is down more than 4 %...
  • i myself just cut the cable cable, eventho at the end cox offered to let me keep what i had for just $5 more / month than internet alone, but i hate my cable co so much for past dastardly deeds that i said to hell with them. in this regard, i think the ranks of likeminded folks is rising fast and furiously. the cable folks are reaping what they sowed.
  • edited August 2015
    linter said:

i myself just cut the cable cable, eventho at the end cox offered to let me keep what i had for just $5 more / month than internet alone, but i hate my cable co so much for past dastardly deeds that i said to hell with them. in this regard, i think the ranks of likeminded folks is rising fast and furiously. the cable folks are reaping what they sowed.

Get Netflix and/or Hulu and a Chromecast if you use your phone a lot. I also just got rid of cable.