Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Actively Managed Funds Roar Back — Here Are the Best Of 2015

FYI: You’ve probably read your share of articles pointing out how difficult it is for an investment manager to beat a broad stock index. But 2015 is shaping up to be different.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/actively-managed-funds-roar-back-here-are-the-best-of-2015-2015-06-23/print

Comments

• An interesting list...I'd be interested to see if they could come up with some core holdings.
  • edited June 2015
    the framing of their table is deplorably wrong. labelling average annual returns as total return
  • Not being nitpicky, but the picture of the biotech lab is pretty impressive...

The biotech companies within healthcare sector has been doing well in the last several years, not just 2015.
  • @Sven: You make an excellent point. Biotech Funds have had superior performance for over ten years. I bought FBTCX eighteen months ago and its up 70% over that time frame.
    Regards,
    Ted
    FBTCX Long-Term Performance;
    http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=FBTCX&region=usa&culture=en_US
  • @Ted, congratulation to your fund pick - 70%! Unlike the late 90's, many biotech firms are actually producing products cannot be manufactured by traditional drug companies while making good profits. Like you I also invest with T. Rowe Price Health Science and it has doing very well over the last decade.

I tend to shy away from Fidelity sector funds due to the rapid change of fund managers. Many have tenure less than 2 years of experience that implies that is the training ground of young and inexperience managers. If I wish to play in that space I would pick individual stocks similar to what Scott is doing.
  • Point taken about turnover, but I would much much rather have some smart former analyst kid spend two years doing that, picking individual stocks in a given area based on his and his team's researches, than trust myself to do it.