Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Vanguard Officially Launches Its Robo Adviser, Drops Minimum Investment To $50,000

FYI: After more than two years in pilot and $17B in assets, Personal Advisor Services ready to take on the expanding field.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20150505/FREE/150509967?template=printart

Comments

• As a long-time Vanguard owner/customer, I would like to see them offer this kind of service with the option of paying a flat dollar amount instead of a percentage fee. I've never understood the fairness of advisers' charging ten times as much to suggest how a $1,000,000 portfolio should be invested vs. a $100,000 portfolio. In other words, I'd love to see Vanguard offer a "fee-only" service at a set flat $fee rather than % of portfolio fee. I wouldn't expect any financial services firm other than Vanguard to even consider it.
  • I wonder what will the adviser do if I seek their services: with accounts directly at vanguard, TRP, janus and prudential.
  • edited May 2015
    dicksonL said:

I wonder what will the adviser do if I seek their services: with accounts directly at vanguard, TRP, janus and prudential.

They will only manage the assets you house at Vanguard. So if you "seek their services with accounts.....at TRP, janus and prudential".......for them to manage those accounts, they will want you to transfer them to Vanguard.

This service is a lot more than just advice. They actually perform the transactions.........
    They are using CFPs (Certified Financial Planners) employed by Vanguard
  • @Jim, "Fee-based" makes a lot more sense than "asset-based", but there is a break even point (i.e. profit) for the advisors. The best is do it yourself...
  • I'm not sure if Vanguard or any other of the Robo's give any consideration to "outside assets". Many times it is advantageous to do "rebalancing" in IRA's or 401K's versus a taxable account, especially if still working. If outside assets are not considered for allocation or rebalancing, these services are incomplete and possibly not efficient.
  • walt: Just a guess here. I'm thinking they want all of your cash ! (portfolio)
    Derf