Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

CNBC Guest Commentators

Where does CNBC find their guest commentators from? Some of these people seem to be running their own outfit while others are from financial advisors I've never heard of. This is just my observation, others may have a wider recognition of financial firms than I do.

Do these people/organizations pay CNBC to be a guest commentator and therefore (in theory) increasing their exposure and brand recall?

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Dennis Gartman's daughter is a producer at CNBC. There's an explanation for one of them. I believe they do get a slight appearance fee, but I would guess it's largely seen as promotion (although to a decreasing audience) for fund firms.

Additionally, noticed an interactive brokers ad on CNBC now with forced subtitles. Someone's aware that most people watch it with the sound off lol.

• Is CNBC still on and is MSNBC still doing computer stuff?
  • I have neither the time nor the patience to watch (or listen to!) CNBC, but I come across CNBC video clips while researching funds/etf's/individual stocks. I have no idea who most of CNBC's guest "pros" are...
  • "I have no idea who most of CNBC's guest "pros" are..."

Don't feel bad- probably CNBC doesn't either.
  • Jerry Boyer: "I was a paid CNBC contributor for two years, 2008 and 2009. And my job was principally to appear on Kudlow’s show. I appeared as a guest well over a hundred times ..." Matt Goldwater, a former "news associate" at CNBC wrote in 2014: "I can confirm they get paid per appearance. I do not have any inside information, but presumably they are also paid to exclusively contribute to the network."

Apparently they demand "exclusive rights" from every guest except the A-listers. You're not allowed to appear on Bloomberg or, (by some reports) Fox Business on the same day as you appear on CNBC. When they can, they pursue complete exclusivity.

David
  • Thank you David!
  • They get paid to contribute. OK. That's nice.

But, for some at least, it amounts to valuable advertising for their firms. I've always wondered about that too. There was a period when the family members who own and operate the relatively obscure James Funds were frequent guests. Why were they selected to appear on CNBC above the hundreds of other "wannabes"?

Albeit, these fellas were articulate, charismatic and somewhat photogenic - the qualities that count on TV. Is it that simple?

• I wasn't a paid contributor but I've been on Bloomberg a few times and CNBC once. One day I was double-booked on both to discuss the same topic, and I called the Bloomberg producer enroute to the studio to see if it would be a problem -- she said no, but was thrilled that I a) called to check, and b) gave them first dibs on me....which I probably got away with because I wasn't a regular/contracted analyst for them. (Reportedly CNBC's totally anal about having exclusive access to people, both analysts and executives.)

My CNBC appearance that evening (on Kudlow) felt rushed and I really didn't say anything or know why they even wanted me on. On Bloomberg, I had like 2-4 minutes of total time and we could at least have a real discussion. However, although none of these appearances were paid, at least they were gracious enough to send me a car so I wouldn't need to fight for parking in DC during rush hour. :)

I will happily 'do' Bloomberg anytime I can if/when asked ... they're the sane ones in the world of financial tv journalism.
  • From a viewer's point of view, Bloomberg is far better than CNBC. The screen can be busy but the newer screen with the tiled news runner on the side is much better than a ticker. There are some showboats but mainly US based where as the Euro and Asia bureaus are very good.

Good to hear the perspective from someone who has been in studio.
  • Agree, JohnChisum.