Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

PRAIX Pimco Real Return

what are your thoughts for this fund now? Just a satellite holding in IRA in retirement bond portfolio.

Comments

• edited February 2015
    Hi @ron

PRAIX is an "enhanced" TIPs fund at this time; with all the "adjustment" tools available with many Pimco funds. I know you are aware of this, too; if this is what you want to add to your mix.

We maintain our holding of PIMIX; although the fund is having a rough start to this year, but is hopefully adjusting as this current crazy bond market moves along. But, PIMIX has been fairly steady/smooth relative to some other bond funds. I have placed this fund with the one you mentioned and two others for reference.

Hopefully, this chart will be viewable to you in the 3 year mode. NOPE.....didn't link the 3 year this time...........drag the left end of the 200 day slider to about 750 days for a 3 year view.

Are you willing to list your other bond funds or bond holdings for an overview.

Away to upgrade our modem here and hope that this goes well.

Chart of PIMIX v PRAIX v TIP v TLT past 3 years.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Thank you catch. I also have PIMIX as my largest bond fund with MWTRX close. I only have TGEIX for an emerging market position. Good luch with the modem, I always dread making technology changes. I prefer the old.
  • i invested a small portion of portfolio recently (PRRIX version in the old 401k) as i think inflation is underpriced. it is of course subject to interest rate risk, but it will lose less than the treasuries of the same maturities due to inflation breakevens.
  • I didn't know they still made modems.
  • Hi @JohnChisum

:) Yes, to the modem. A cable system modem, which is connected to an Apple "Airport Extreme", dual band wifi for the house.
    Still got to connect to the outside world via the modem. I still have an old 56k phone line modem. Recall back in that day of changing some of the modem code to obtain the amazing speed of 56.4K speed. Our current cable download speed is about 35meg.

Catch
  • Well, "modem" is an acronym for the coupled-words "modulate" and "demodulate". As such a modem basically acts as a translator or interface between computers typically "speaking" via Ethernet and a subscriber service (ISP) which uses some other protocol. The modem "modulates" that other protocol with data being sent from the computer via Ethernet, and "demodulates" the incoming data and converts it to Ethernet data which the computer can understand. A simple "modem" can handle this job.

If more than one computer is being fed from a common subscriber service, Ethernet is a nice intermediate data format because it understands that each specific computer needs a discreet address. That addressing capability allows a service provider to route it's traffic specifically to the correct one of multiple computers at a common location. Oddly enough, this is a rough definition of a "router".

If you put a modem and a router in the same black box, you now have a device which is typical of almost all current internet installations, and usually just called a "router". As described so far, the computers would be all hooked up to the router with Ethernet cables.

Now,if you also stuff a low-powered radio transmitter and receiver into the router box, the Ethernet data can modulate that transmitter, and demodulate a similar radio signal from the computer. This is "WI-FI", which is simply a cool name for that radio link. Wireless Ethernet, that's all. That's why most routers can talk to their computers either by Wi-Fi, or direct Ethernet wiring, or both simultaneously.

My hunch is that Catch is actually looking at getting a new router, but simply calling it a "modem".
  • That sounds right. I have a DSL router hooked to a Apple wireless.

My first modem way back was a 9.6mb I think. That was cutting edge then.
  • edited February 2015
    Hi @Old_Joe and @JohnChisum

Well, the new "one" does "route"; but the box and unit name is still labeled as "modem".
    A Motorola/Arris, Surfboard, Model SB6141. The "company" is pumping and/or can pump more to us, as we demand. The download speed for this model is at 343mbps maximum. Part of this change is that the old modem/router was coming to and "end of life" status to match changes in the cable system; and the possible near future use of Netflix video streaming and perhaps online gaming (no, not gambling).
    Although my personal preferred gaming/gambling is investing, and it does not take much bandwidth to lose money, eh???:)
    Lastly, a long, long time ago; just after electrons were "invented", I serviced an online system containing numerous modem connection points over phone lines from a central location to end points within various communites. The connection was bi-directional and at a blazing speed of "300 baud rate" (300 data bits per second). I almost could swap a modem circuit board fast enough before the other end realized the board was missing from the system, to report a comm. failure.:)

Apology to you, ron; for allowing us to have this therapy session, not related to your original post, to relieve the pressures of investing.

Catch
  • edited February 2015
    John- Yep. DSL (aka HDSL or ADSL) is the protocol used by your ISP, and in your case the wireless module is external.

Catch- yes, 300 was very common in the beginning. "In the beginning was 300, and Motorola looked and said 'this is good'..."
  • @ron

You have a decent mix of bond holdings, IMO.

A prior post from you leads to the conclusion that you are looking at TIPs funds to fill another bond sector.
    You likely have already done this, but I would dig through the list of TIPs funds to find whether there are other choices that may be of interest, too.

The temptation of use LTPZ is still there, perhaps. As we discussed last week, this holding can be a real winner, too; but may also be as variable as many equity funds. The last few days have found a lot of swings in pricing, mostly to the downside.

Having been discussed prior too, is the aspect that managed funds have a variety of holdings that may not all be TIPs; including other u.s. issues, varying durations and IG corp. bonds.

With the exception of finding a few TIPs funds with 3, 5 or 10 year records over and above most other TIPs funds; I would likely buy a TIPs etf (lowest E.R.) and watch it at least once a week for price changes.

Take care,
    Catch
  • I said 9.6mb but Catch's mention of baud refreshed my memory. So was it 9600 baud? It took about 10-15 minutes to download a webpage too. Of course I had a old Apple LC2. 16mhz processor.
  • "9600 baud?" Yes, they simply kept doubling the baud rate as technology improved: 300/600/1200/2400/4800/9600. Don't recall the transition points after that, though.
  • edited February 2015
    Yes. These were the standard number sets:

Standard baud rates included 110, 300, 600, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 14400, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 128000 and 256000 bits per second
  • Thanks, it's all coming back to me now.
  • Gentlemen, DSL is a Gundlach fund. That's the extent of my knowledge!