Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jan 5, 2015 How did Funds perform on big down day

T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation Down 0.28 Down 1.07% PRWCX 

Franklin Mutual Quest Z Down 0.19 Down 1.17%  MQIFX

Queens Road Small Cap Value Down 0.28 Down 1.18%  QRSVX

BlackRock Global Allocation Inv A Down 0.24 Down 1.21%  MDLOX

Greenspring Down 0.30 Down 1.21%  GRSPX

AMG Yacktman Service Down 0.31 Down 1.24%  YACKX

RiverNorth Core Opportunity R Down 0.15 Down 1.24%  RNCOX

Grandeur Peak Global Opportunities Inv Down 0.04 Down 1.26%  GPGOX

Jensen Quality Growth J Down 0.52 Down 1.30%  JENSX Sparkline Chart

And of course the best

Vanguard Health Care Inv Down 1.31 Down 0.62%  VGHCX

I think Greenspring has faltered. PRWCX is just rock solid. JENSX is underrated.

Comments

• Forget baseline Vanguard 500 Index Inv VFINX -1.82%
  • yeah, brutal. Nothing posted about DSENX ... because time needed to calc derivatives and hedges? They are always late this way.
  • A lot of red here. Only ACCNX up by 2¢ and ARYVX up by 1¢ were positive.
  • and then there's PQTDX, up .64%. it's good fortune won't last forever, but for the time being it sure helps offset some of my bigger bummers.
    also left off the list: FPACX, down .98%. not too shabby, in comparison to the others.
  • Same category with PRWCX and FPACX: MAPOX on 05 Jan. '15:
    down -$0.95 cents, or -1.09%. It's a gooder.
  • Crash said:

Same category with PRWCX and FPACX: MAPOX on 05 Jan. '15:
    down -$0.95 cents, or -1.09%. It's a gooder.

Why do we overthink this? Are those are all you need? 10, 15 year TRs

Fund 10YR 15YR
    PRWCX 8.82 10.63
    FPACX 8.50 10.83
    MAPOX 7.75 7.95
    S&P 500 7.73 4.44

• @MFO Members: Successful mutual fund investing is a marathon not a sprint ! Hope we don't have another repeat of this today.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited January 2015
    Ted said:

@MFO Members: Successful mutual fund investing is a marathon not a sprint ! Hope we don't have another repeat of this today.
    Regards,
    Ted

It's a mentality shaped by a market that has gone up constantly for a while now. Declines are met with, effectively, "It's not supposed to do that" and/or heightened concern. I don't have anything against these threads, but, would a 2-3% decline 7-10 years ago result in frequent discussions of "what's worked today?" Probably not.

I am pretty concerned with oil that doesn't seem to stop going down and interest rates where they are, but the market down a few %? It's one of those "Wake me when it's 15-20%."
  • edited January 2015
    Ted, I couldn't agree more. I'll note however that you are/were one of the formost posters in touting the new market highs on a near daily basis as the market zooms/zoomed higher. So, it may be a case of "the pot calling the kettle black" here.

I think this exercise is pretty much a non-starter. Funds move for a variety of reasons on daily basis. Often the reason is hard to discern. May have been a lot of activity with a particular holding (maybe M&A speculation or rumors of management changes). Sometimes, with international funds, it has to do more with moves in currency exchanges than in the value of the underlying equities. Sometimes, it's simply fund management deciding to impose or not impose fair value pricing on a particular day.

However, to be fair, some funds are designed or even advertised to have low volatility or extra downside protection. So, I find it interesting to see how some of these, like TRRIX or HSGFX fare on down days.

• edited January 2015
    As noted yesterday, PQTIX has held up during this latest carnage. Up 0.27% again today.

Edit; @linter referred to PQTDX in his comment.
  • NHMAX up 0.46% hitting 52 week high