Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Morningstar's Portfolio Manager Price Updating Concern ...

Comments

• edited November 2014
    "Max, they want specifics......if you call them, the rep will go to your portfolio(s) and address all your specific concerns. The more specific details you can give them about your account and portfolio, what issues came up and when/what time, the better. You can send them screenshots documenting issues, via email, while the rep is on the phone with you, etc. "

Yes, I understand. I was trying to say that if this is standard procedure, it's pretty nuts, like moving a bushel of hay, one straw at a time.

• edited November 2014
    Hello,

It is about 10:40 EM EST as I write,

In researching funds I am finding that Instant Xray is not working. I can input the ticker symbol and dollar amount and when I click on the Xray tab the screen will appear; however, there is no data to be found. I tried this will three funds PGBAX, ISFAX & CAPAX all with the same results ... no data.

Hopefully, Moringstar will soon catch the gremlin that seems to running around within its data system.

I have linked the data entry site below for those that would like to see if it perhaps works for you.

http://portfolio.morningstar.com/Rtport/Free/InstantXRayDEntry.aspx?#

Old_Skeet
  • It is now about 1:30 PM EST as I write.

Instant Xray is now working.

Old_Skeet
  • I'm thinking the M* people have this discussion up in case of trouble.
  • edited November 2014
    It is now Saturday November 29th at about 9:00 AM EST as I write. I have two funds (JCRAX & SGGDX) that are currently reflecting Wednesday November 26, 2014 nav end of day pricing in Morningstar's fund quote sheet. This carries over into their portfolio manager system.

Seems Morningstar still have issues as Yahoo Finance and the respective fund families are reporting the correct nav end of day pricing as of Friday November 28th.

I wish they could find and eradicate the germlin that seems to be running loose within their data syatems.

Old_Skeet
  • This 'SLOTH' at Morningstar with their 'Portfolio tool' updates has been going on for ------
    YEARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ralph
  • Old_Skeet said:

It is now Saturday November 29th at about 9:00 AM EST as I write. I have two funds (JCRAX & SGGDX) that are currently reflecting Wednesday November 26, 2014 nav end of day pricing in Morningstar's fund quote sheet. This carries over into their portfolio manager system.

Seems Morningstar still have issues as Yahoo Finance and the respective fund families are reporting the correct nav end of day pricing as of Friday November 28th.

Old_Skeet

@Old_Skeet: In case you want to call them and show the documentation:

• edited November 2014
    @rjb112
    Re: the SGGDX graphic.
    Nice work. Thank you for the effort.
    Perhaps M* is still monitoring this thread.
    Catch
  • @catch 22, You're welcome
  • edited November 2014
    Hi rjb112 and others,

Today is Sunday November 30th around 8:45 AM EST as I write.

I composed an email and sent it to Elizabeth Weilburg of Morningstar "M*" and advised her of continued pricing concerns that had been expressed earlier to M*. In my email, I provided the link to the MFO site thread that would provide current details and documentation on this continued issue of slow pricing of certain mutual funds.

In addition, I'd like to thank rjb112 for providing the supporting screen shots which provided visuals in support of my statement. It is appreciated.

Sould I receive a response to my email I let all know.

Old_Skeet
    .............................................................................................................................................
    Additional Note: It is now about 9:40 AM EST on Sunday November 30th as I write this note; and, it seems the visuals provided by rjb112 that I referenced in my email to Ms. Weilburg and in the above comment, for some unknown reason, to me, have now been removed.

Leaves me to wonder why one would do this?
    .............................................................................................................................................
    Interestingly, it is now about 10:20 AM EST Sunday and the visuals have now returned. Hopefully, they will remain.

Old_Skeet
  • Old_Skeet said:

In addition, I'd like to thank rjb112 for providing the supporting screen shots which provided visuals in support of my statement. It is appreciated.

Old_Skeet
    Additional Note: It is now about 9:40 AM EST on Sunday November 30th as I write this note; and, it seems the visuals provided by rjb112 that I referenced in my email to Ms. Weilburg and in the above comment, for some unknown reason, to me, have now been removed.

Leaves me to wonder why one would do this?
    Interestingly, it is now about 10:20 AM EST Sunday and the visuals have now returned. Hopefully, they will remain.

Old_Skeet

@Old_Skeet:
    You're welcome for the supporting screen shots.

Also, I have no idea how the "visuals" got removed....or for that matter, how they returned. Certainly had nothing to do with me.
  • From Morningstar conversation Board
    "How tiresome....portfolio again not updated" =

------ 85 Replys since 5/15/ 2013 ------
    and yet, M* portfolio manager is still not completely
    updated as of 7:30 pm est today 12/01/ 14 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- SLOTH----

Ralph
  • Hi all,

Here is the response that I received from Morningstar's Elizabeth Weilburg ... It is pretty much of a standard reply ... however, it does indicate that they are working to resolve the issues.

Hi xxxxx,

Thanks for writing and bringing this to my attention. I passed along the screenshots you provided to our development team, and I can see that they’ve looped in some additional stakeholders and are still working to determine the root cause of this issue so we can resolve the problem and prevent it from occurring in the future. I do really apologize for the inconvenience and that I do not have a resolution at this time, but I can assure you the problem is being worked on, and I will reach out as soon as I have some more information.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Lizzie
  • Reference previous posts, November 19, this thread:

• Max: ".......We’ve recently made a number of updates to the site, so we’re working to categorize and understand this issue so that we can resolve it definitively......"
    Shaking my head. What does this even MEAN?

• Old Joe: Not really important, Max. The main thing is that she will reach out to you, and you can feel free to reach out to her.

• John Chisum: Corporate speak.

• Old Joe: She left out the "stakeholder" parts. Must be new. Pretty funny, actually: right out of "Dilbert".

Reference above post, December 2, this thread:

"I can see that they’ve looped in some additional stakeholders"

So they've now upgraded to involve "stakeholders". Absolutely hilarious. Dilbert lives!!
  • -Morningstar Reply referenced above

" I do really apologize for the inconvenience and that I do not have a resolution at this time, but I can assure you the problem is being worked on, and I will reach out as soon as I have some more information.

Thank you for your patience and understanding."

Best regards,

Lizzie
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    SAME OLD - SAME OLD --- I have heard this tired old refrain from M* reps.
    ------FOR YEARS !!!!!!!!!

ralph
  • edited December 2014
    M* Lizzie: "Thank you for your patience and understanding."

Nothing against Lizzie, but that's been M*'s plea for years. These problems persist at M* - sometimes fixed for a few weeks or months, but always returning, a la MacArthur - and are the reason I finally gave up portfolio tracking there in 2010. I hope folks posting here don't wear themselves out or get too frustrated, or think that they're the first to try to assist M* in fixing their broken feeds. They may patch them together for a short time yet again, but they always break, yet again.

Good luck, AJ
  • edited December 2014
    Hello,

I have a fund SGGDX that its price has updated on Morningstar's quote sheet as of about 6:30 PM EST of Wednesday ... and, as of Thursday 12:40 AM EST it has yet to update in their portfolio manager system. Seems Morningstar indeed has issues within its data systems. I had moved, a while back, from Bloomberg's portfolio management system to Morningstar's portfolio manager because of late pricing updates within Bloomberg's portfolio system. Currently, I have been using Yahoo Finance's portfolio as a secondary source to check against Morningstar's. It looks as Yahoo will now become my main source to track all of my fifty two funds held within about five accounts ... and, I'll be looking for a new secondary source. Perhaps I'll revert back to Bloomberg and watch Morningstar for a while to see if they can get things resolved. I'd be interested in knowing what providers others are using to combine all of their funds together and also to track multi accounts.

I guess you might say ... I've had enough of Morningstar's portfolio manager and have decided to move else where for a while at least.

Old_Skeet
  • It seems M*'s problems go back some years so your wait might be a long one. While they do have a very comprehensive data page, the fact that they cannot update a simple NAV is very frustrating as you know.

The day before I was watching AAPL and had their current day chart up. The live quote displayed on top was way different than the price on the chart. We are talking 30-35 cents or so. I ended up using another service. I am not a paid subscriber to M*.
  • M*_Darrin
    : How tiresome....portfolio again not updated 06-22-2013, 2:24 PM | Post #3436474

I've been following up with the data team since this morning.

Thanks,

M*_Darrin

The above Quote is from Morningstar Conversation Board as of --- JUNE 22, 2013
    18 MONTHS AGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ralph
  • [sar] Maybe try "reaching out" to Lizzie and see if we can get some more "stakeholders" involved? [/sar]
  • edited December 2014
    @Old_Skeet said:
    knowing what providers others are using to combine all of their funds together and also to track multi accounts.

I just use open libreoffice spreadsheet, click a button that automatically downloads last quote from yahoo.
    I manually add lt cap gain, income, and st cap gains.

http://www.libreoffice.org/

one example here:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=automatic+download+stock+prices+in+libreoffice

all kinds of sample spreadsheets here:
    http://www.gummy-stuff.org/Tutorials.htm

http://www.gummy-stuff.org/spreadsheets.htm

http://www.gummy-stuff.org/TA.htm

http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/gummy-stuff/gummy_stuff.htm

provided you know spreadsheets or want to learn, or want to bother doing it yourself.

yahoo always seems to have up to date quotes, so the spreadsheet is pretty accurate, provided you update distribution info.
  • edited December 2014
    Like the rest of you, my own TIME is valuable enough, so I don't anymore keep going back to check if M* is finally, finally updated each evening. I just don't EXPECT it to be correct and accurate until the late hours. I never bothered with what they call a "transaction" portfolio, recording all cap gains and pay-outs, to get my own personal "investor earnings" rather than to rely just on their published statistics for the funds. Yes, I have a porfolio at Yahoo. But it's just a tracking list to check against Morningstar, which always "brings up the rear." I often see, at Morningstar, that when I click on a particular fund in my M* portfolio (evening,) the updated share price is correct, but not yet entered --- for a long time--- over at the Portfolio Manager! .... I still keep my simple portfolio at Morningstar only because it has been my experience that it's the most user-friendly. Too bad it's so always damn tardy with info, though. I see contradictions on its "performance" pages for funds, compared to its daily calculations, also. I think that's because the performance comparisons are done MONTHLY, only? Another fly in the ointment. Yes, M* sucks it, but I tried loading-in my portfolio at other sites including google, and M* is still simplest and user-friendly. Unless you want news and daily share prices that are fresh when you go to look and read!
  • I do pretty much like Accipiter, except a manual transfer from Google finance (my old Claris Works/Apple spreadsheet is so old that it didn't know about the internet). Google is usually good at timeliness and accuracy, as is Yahoo.
  • Interesting that Google is up to date on their info when they get most if not all of their data from M*.
  • I am starting to think that M*_Darrin is a bot.
  • YET, ANOTHER PROBLEM WITH MORNINGSTAR PORTFOLIO MANAGER

--- CUT & PASTE FROM m* DISCUSS BOARD

Re: Portfolio Manager Flaw -- Expense Ratios11-09-2014, 5:09 AM |
    Post ="When entered into the Portfolio Manager feature, a number of my funds reflect an expense ratio of 0.00% -- these are funds from well known mutual fund companies such as Vanguard and TRowe Price."

Ralph
  • Hi Accipiter …

Thanks very much for providing all the links in how to set up a spread sheet along with data feeds. It is very much appreciated. While I am not the most skilled when it comes to this type of stuff I plan to give it a go. Perhaps this information might help some others as well.

Old_Skeet

• @Old_Joe, I don't know how new your Mac is but the new Numbers spreadsheet application could probably import that Google format fairly easy. If you have iCloud then you already have Numbers online. That would be much easier than doing it manually. ClarisWorks goes back a long time. I had that in the early 90's.
  • @MFO: The moral of the story, don't rely on M* for mutual fund NAV's, use another source. Time to close this thread !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • I noticed that M* deleted the threads on their forums pertaining to this issue. This thread is the only one now.