Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Nobody is Watching CNN (Limbaugh comments)

edited September 2014 in Off-Topic
Not a Rush fan - but found his comments re CNN both funny and sad:

Excerpt: "Cashin' In has more viewers on a Saturday morning on cable TV than CNN and MSNBC combined in prime time. That is just unheard of."

Excerpt: "I think a black hole has swallowed CNN. It's not a question of whether a black hole could. I think a black hole has. Do you know what I saw on CNN this morning? They supposedly found a new witness to the killing of the gentle giant."

My view? First, I'm surprised anybody watches "Cashin' In." None of Fox's Saturday business programming impresses me. Kinda like CNBC on steroids.

Second, Ted Turner must be scratching his head (if he has any hair left) based on what has happened to CNN. When he began the CNN network it actually was a "news" channel and featured some first class talent and timely reporting. What a shame.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/09/11/nobody_is_watching_cnn

Comments

• It is old media Vs new media.
    If you look at the demographics - older people watch cable news. Young people get their news (if they care) from cell phones/net.
  • Confirmation bias draws viewers to FOX, so it's not too much of a surprise that it's numbers are greater than the balance of other cable outlets.
  • edited September 2014
    PRESSmUP said:

Confirmation bias draws viewers to FOX, so it's not too much of a surprise that it's numbers are greater than the balance of other cable outlets.

There's confirmation bias happening on media for both sides. Fox on one, things like Huffpost and MSNBC on the other. It's really a shame that the conversation in this country has grown so uncivilized and I think it's partly due to media playing to "their' side in a way that's entirely intent on being divisive which helps no one.
  • Yes, it's unfortunate. I used to watch the "FOX Business Block" on Saturday mornings, but anymore it seems like any conversation about business or the market is purely accidental .
  • I agree with the comments about the Fox business shows. I used to watch them in the hope they would make me rich (probably overly optimistic)but that was at least 10 years ago. These days the shows are entirely political(about economic issues to be fair) except for the last minute of each show during which the panelists name a stock with no more than one sentence of justification
  • @scott --- I think that's pretty much (though not wholly) false equivalency.
  • edited September 2014
    Lots of thoughtful comments. Fox may not be the best source for this story.:)

Thankfully we no longer have to rely on the tube for our news and info. (This response edited in the interest of brevity:-)
  • I don't watch fox or cnbc anymore -both those stations are too skew to the left or right. You may get into troubles or get brainwashed by them. Best to watch PBS nightly news and market news - they are balanced imho,
  • edited September 2014
    johnN said:

I don't watch fox or cnbc anymore -both those stations are too skew to the left or right,

Yep - agree. Guess there ain't been much worth watching on Saturday mornings since Sky King went off.

• First time I saw Sky King without needing to get up to adjust the vertical hold or horizontal hold. Thanks.
  • thought it was just me getting turned off with the saturday business block on fox.
  • Television on Saturday? Why, oh why? Life is too short for that garbage. Get outdoors, go to a ball game, to the local market, work in the garden, even read a book. Television? You gotta be kidding!
  • Reminds me of: "Nobody goes to the beach anymore, its too crowded"