Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How can you find out a fund's historical AUM?

edited August 2014 in Fund Discussions
Hey guys,

Is there a quick, easy way to find out a fund's AUM? For instance, let's say I wanted to know a fund's AUM in 2006, how can I find that? Thanks!

Comments

• not 'quick and easy', but all annual and semiannual financial reports will have the numbers. you do need to go to the filings.
  • possibly here as well...

http://archive.org/web/

or contacting fund company itself.
  • that's what I was afraid of. thanks though guys!
  • Finance.yahoo.com
  • Check out fundmojo.com. Not perfect, but not bad for a free web site.

I've attached a link for PTTRX.

http://www.fundmojo.com/mutualfund/fund_netasset_report/mutualfund/PTTRX
  • Paul said:

Hey guys,

Is there a quick, easy way to find out a fund's AUM? For instance, let's say I wanted to know a fund's AUM in 2006, how can I find that? Thanks!

I'm glad you asked this Paul.
    I'm also wanting to know the historical AUM for a specific mutual fund.
  • Paul, in the past I've used the Wellstrade site for this information:

Enter Symbol

Select "Get Mutual Fund Profile"

Total Net Assets By Year

Kevin
  • Sorry - I was running off to the doctor's and wrote a cryptic answer.
    Go to Finance.Yahoo.com. Enter a symbol in the search box. On the resulting page, click "historic prices" and the date or date range you're interested in.

Artisan International in late March to mid April 1998? No problem!

David
  • David-
    I think the OP wanted historical assets under management, not historical prices.

George..
  • One thing to watch out for is that many sites list the total assets for the particular share class rather than the fund as a whole. WellsTrade is a case in point. See the data for PTTRX vs PTTAX, two different share classes for the same fund. I don't see how knowing assets for a particular share class is helpful, but that's what they show.

I'd definitely be interested in a good source for historical Total Assets myself. FundMojo is one of the few I've seen, but it doesn't go very far back.
  • MOZART325 said:

David-
    I think the OP wanted historical assets under management, not historical prices.
    George..

Yes, that's certainly what I'm interested in, historical AUM.
    I've known about the Yahoo Finance historical prices for quite some time.
  • edited August 2014
    kevindow said:

Paul, in the past I've used the Wellstrade site for this information:

Enter Symbol

Select "Get Mutual Fund Profile"

Total Net Assets By Year

Kevin

Kevin, for the fund I looked up, here's what I saw under Total Net Assets By Year

I wasn't able to tell what the actual AUM were. Just a general idea whether they were increasing or decreasing.

This was with Internet Explorer. Maybe with Chrome or Firefox you see something different.

Perhaps I missed a link that you saw?
  • MOZART325 said:

Check out fundmojo.com. Not perfect, but not bad for a free web site.

MOZART325 said:

MOZART325, that's not a bad website at all. Glad you pointed that out. Has some interesting information. I'll be visiting that website more often.

AUM data was very good but limited to about one year.

• rjb112, the Y axis represents the assets in billions, so your fund looks like it has kept the AUM under $500M.

Kevin
  • edited August 2014
    I'm surprised morningstar doesn't it have it somewhere. Yeah, I'm looking for the AUM rather than historical prices. Thanks for the kind reply though, David. Thanks for the tips on fundmojo and wellsfargo, too, guys!
  • Fidelity lists AUM for the fund class - for 10 years or so to the best of my knowledge - under the "Performance and Risk" tab on the fund's page.
  • Fidelity, Wellstrade, Etrade, and several others aren't going to give the AUM number you'd be looking for. The Net Assets number they show refers only to the specific share class, not the fund as a whole. Fidelity seems to be the only one to at least point this out with the heading "Share Class Net Assets". Others do not.

I haven't managed to find any site showing older total AUM data (older than a year). The only option seems to be to add up the various share classes which seems rather prone to missing things.
  • chrisw said:

The only option seems to be to add up the various share classes which seems rather prone to missing things.

... or go to the annual reports for any fund that interests you where all assets are aggregated. if one does research on a fund, this shouldn't be such a big deal.

by the way, Morning* data is on the total fund level, not by share class... but it is the latest available, not historical. they do link to annual reports.
  • edited August 2014
    If you are a Morningstar subscriber (to the website) - you can get the AUM for each share class over several years individually by looking at the PDF for the fund. The PDF appears underneath the ticker and star rating, on the initial page for each fund, but M* doesn't have it for all funds. Again, AUM for >each< share class, not all share classes.

Also - I think that if you subscribe to Lipper then you can get the information.

Here is example for top 25 funds:

http://www.diansfundfreebies.com/performance/lg25.pdf
  • Morningstar does have the current total AUM on the main quote page listed under "Total Assets". It is the total across all share classes.

I do see that the annual reports have the total assets for the current and previous year, but they don't show it over the past several years. In addition, I'd like to be able to pull the information programmatically into my spreadsheets. It seems parsing it from the annual reports might prove a little challenging. Not sure what kind of XBRL data is available, but I haven't been successful with my efforts thus far.
  • Fund mojo is a good reference site but I find that there are funds that come up non-existent in their database.
  • chrisw said:

I do see that the annual reports have the total assets for the current and previous year, but they don't show it over the past several years.

Morningstar (under "Filings") just has the most recent annual report.
    I'm assuming the individual fund websites may be a good place to find historical annual reports, going back at least several years. But some fund websites are not very good.

If they are not on the fund website, are they available on the SEC website, or elsewhere?

• I've found historical shareholder reports on the SEC Edgar site.

http://www.sec.gov/edgar/searchedgar/mutualsearch.htm

It appears the shareholder annual report would be the N-CSR filing. The number AUM number we're discussing would be the "Net Assets" listed under the "Statement of Assets and Liabilities".

It seems rather difficult to extract that programmatically from that filing in a consistent way, but I've also found the value in the N-SAR filing which is more geared toward computers than people. The field in question in that filing is "074 T", of which there could be multiple for multiple funds.

It seems like the N-Q filing might have a meaningful value as well, but it didn't match when I cross-referenced with the value fundmojo had, so perhaps that's not the right number there. Fundmojo is clearly getting their data from somewhere.
  • Very good chrisw, that appears to be the way to find these reports. I'm on the site now.

And the "Statement of Assets and Liabilities" has the data. Both in the Annual reports and the Semi-annual reports.

Now I'm looking at the SEC website to see how far back in history you can find these reports. Did you run across that?
  • mrdarcey said:

Fidelity lists AUM for the fund class - for 10 years or so to the best of my knowledge - under the "Performance and Risk" tab on the fund's page.

rjb112 said:

MOZART325 said:

MOZART325 said:

MOZART325, that's not a bad website at all. Glad you pointed that out. Has some interesting information. I'll be visiting that website more often.

AUM data was very good but limited to about one year.

Thanks very much mrdarcey and rjb112. These seem to be the easiest to get some information about historical aum, with fundmojo having the advantage of showing it for one fund symbol across all share classes. But in a case of drastic asset bleed which one wants to avoid it would most likely show in the individual shareclass (as on the fidelity site) also.
  • thanks all again. great, great information!:)