Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

"What if" performance vs. my portfolio

I'm very curious about how my lazy portfolio of ETFs (a 60/40 split using VTI, VEU, BND, plus VNQ and some slicing and dicing additions) has done through June compared to how just the simple, evenly-divided 3-ETF portfolio we've all heard of (VTI, VXUS, BND) has done or some other appropriate benchmark. I haven't found any current source that gives a thorough and continuous report of the starting value, distributions, and ending value (e.g., VTI/VXUS/BND) for a direct comparison with my results. Before I attempt to research it all myself and try to figure it correctly, is there a site where this is done reliably? Thanks, Rick.

Comments

• VTI,VXUS,BND returned App. 5.461% with equal amounts invested , ending 30/th June.

Have a nice wked, Derf
  • Here's an interesting website where you can backtest passive portfolios.

http://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-asset-class-allocation

The bad part is that the data is only good thru 2013. The rest of the website is pretty neat as well.

Check it out.
    Mike_E
  • >>>Here's an interesting website where you can backtest passive portfolios.<<<<

While I'm not into math, stats, and backtesting, I can certainly see and understand the value of such sites for most investors. However, I wonder about the validity of such data. I looked at the High Yield Bond category. Glancing at the data for annual returns a few things jumped out at me as incorrect and erroneous most notably the 20.13% return for this category in 2009. In real life, not even close considering the average high yield bond fund that year returned a tad over 46% (Morningstar) and the Merrill Lynch High Yield Master II Index even more.
  • Derf said:

VTI,VXUS,BND returned App. 5.461% with equal amounts invested , ending 30/th June.
    Have a nice wked, Derf

@Derf, appreciate if you will provide your sources and methods for coming up with this.

• edited September 2014
    Howdy @rick

The below link to stockcharts.com includes up to date data regarding distributions, etc.
    I have not found any deviations in accuracy over several years of use and verifying total returns. You will find the same return numbers posted at the Vanguard site as are shown at stockcharts with the selected tickers.
    NOTE: I will post this now and then verify how the link opens as to a line chart or bar graph; and also the time frame of the graph. I will note how to view the chart as I use it for return numbers and comparisons.

Equal amounts invested on the first business day of this year indicates a combined return of 6.17% related to your original post.

VTI,BND,VXUS chart

EDIT: The page loads as a line graphic and for a 200 day period.

---place cursor onto the 200 days slider and right click. You may then select from those choices or you may adjust the slider from either end to change the start and end dates of your choice.
    ---date ranges are at the top left of the chart
    ---at the far left edge of the slider bar area you will see a green and red square together. Click on this to change the line graphic to a bar graph which will show the return % of whatever ticker(s) you are viewing. This percentage is always accurate for real total return numbers.
    ---you may chart 10 tickers (separated by a comma) at one time
    ---If you are unsure of a ticker, the system will attempt to list choices; OR, for example, you are trying to find a ticker with the "$" symbol included, you may type in the $ symbol and then the GO button and you will be taken to a list of all tickers that include and/or start with the $ symbol.
    ---there are many other features available at the site without having to register.

THE ABOVE, IS AN ACTIVE LINK, so save it and insert your own tickers.

I do believe you will find this site and charting most useful.

Regards,
    Catch
  • reply rjb112: I used yahoo finance. Average of equal amount invested in each fund, app.5.46 % combined return. Investment $1000 = $ 54.60 return. I see catch 22 came up with a different figure , 6.17 % .
  • @catch22: Thanks, that site seems good enough to work with. How did you get 6.17%? I chose the six-month period through 7/3 and switched to the bar graph. It showed 9.25%, 3.13%, and 8.99% for the three ETFs. Using my calculator and a hypothetical $100K with 33.33% in each, I got $3,083.33, $1,043.33, and $2,996.67 for a total of $7,123.33 or a gain of 7.12%. I probably overlooked something that you did. I understand "total return" means the distributions were reinvested.

Thanks for all your help!
    Rick
  • @mnzdedwards: Thanks for the site. Maybe I'll fool around with it sometime.
    Rick
  • Howdy @Derf

The Stockcharts link indicates the same return info as the Vanguard site for YTD performance, inclusive of distributions, etc.

VTI ='d 8.27%
    BND ='d 3.23%
    VXUS = 'd 7.03%

I did the most simple method of adding the totals and dividing by 3 to arrive at the 6.17% combined return.

Perhaps I missed something.

Take care,
    Catch

• catch22: Just came off VG site. They list Nav return % & market price return %. What's the diff ? yahoo & VG had 7 % for VTI. Bnd & Vxus were different. Plus you were using YTD & I'm using end of 2/nd qter. Last 4 days were up !!!!
    Good investing, Derf
  • edited July 2014
    Derf said:

catch22: Just came off VG site. They list Nav return % & market price return %. What's the diff ? yahoo & VG had 7 % for VTI. Bnd & Vxus were different. Plus you were using YTD & I'm using end of 2/nd qter. Last 4 days were up !!!!
    Good investing, Derf

Regarding, "What's the diff?":
    For an exchange traded fund, net asset value % return may not be the same as the market price return. Take VTI : it's the same exact portfolio as VTSMX. The net asset value for VTSMX will be a result of the weighted average price and performance of all the stocks in its portfolio, and the net asset value will also be the market price. The exchange traded fund of the exact same portfolio can be different because it is traded on an exchange, and subject to the same market, auction, supply and demand forces as any stock is. In other words, the exchange traded fund can trade at a discount or premium to the net asset value of the stocks in the portfolio. It's similar to the way a closed end fund can trade at a premium or discount to the net asset value of the portfolio it contains, due to the daily bid and asks of those who are buying and selling it. The difference between the premiums and discounts of a closed end fund and that of an exchange traded fund is that exchange traded funds have Authorized Participants who act in such a way as to keep the exchange traded fund's price much closer to the net asset value. With closed end funds, they can have a market price dramatically out of line with the net asset value of the stocks or bonds in the portfolio. With exchange traded funds, the Authorized Participants keep the market price close to the net asset value, but it is still subject to market forces of buying and selling.
  • Derf said:

reply rjb112: I used yahoo finance. Average of equal amount invested in each fund, app.5.46 % combined return. Investment $1000 = $ 54.60 return. I see catch 22 came up with a different figure , 6.17 % .

@Derf: can you describe exactly what you did on Yahoo Finance to come up with those figures? What data did you enter in what part of Yahoo Finance, etc?
    Thanks
  • @rjb112: Thanks for explanation of (diff).
    I used Yahoo ending 2/nd quter.
    VTI =7%
    BND =3.84%
    vxus=5.56%
    Investing $100 in each = $16.40 return divided by 300 = 5.46 combined return.
    Have a nice Sunday, Derf
  • thanks Derf. I'm looking at different ways to calculate total return between 2 dates that don't fall at the end of a quarter, where you can't look up the performance. So far the stockcharts.com method described above by catch looks very promising. Just need to confirm it's accuracy. Another method is using the Morningstar performance graph found under the "Quote" tab, but it's difficult to get the exact two dates you want. Another method is using the Adjusted closing prices from Yahoo Finance. Haven't confirmed the accuracy of that method yet, or if those adjusted closing prices include capital gains distributions from mutual funds.

You too have a nice Sunday, thanks.
  • Howdy @rick

You noted using the 6 month time frame at the stockcharts site. I used the YTD.

The 6 month indicates a time frame of Jan. 3 thru July 3; whereas the YTD time frame is Dec 31, 2013 ending price thru July 3.

Apparently, this is the reason for the variances in our numbers.

Regards,
    Catch
  • edited July 2014
    Howdy @rjb112

The stockcharts is accurate from what I have found over the years.
    The "day" slider may be moved left and/or right with the pc cusror, as well as moving either the left or right end of the slider for a shorter or longer time frame. It is a bit difficult to get the exact dates to align. But, you will likely be able to get to within a day or two of your actual begin and end dates choices.
    For me, this is close enough for a quick and dirty look at a funds performance.
    An example is that for an older fund, you can move the left "hash marks" on the slider to the left position and will find that you may travel the timeline backwards by about 3,900 days (10.7 years) using FAGIX as an example.
    Note that generally when you first open this site page, that the graph is set to the line mode and the "days" at 200. But, as you have found; one can alter these as needed.

ALSO, the use of the charting/performance is not limited to mutual fund ticker symbols only.

And importantly, is that some tickers will not be found by the site system; if they are relatively new. I do not know how "old" a fund must be to be found within the site's list. An example is DSENX, which is about 9 months old and will not display (can not be found).

Take care,
    Catch
  • Very good Catch. That site looks excellent.
    Check out this site, it shows great promise. Let me know what you think.

http://longrundata.com/longrundata/index.php

You can enter a mutual fund or exchange traded fund symbol instead of a stock symbol. I always put in a starting investment amount of $100 to make the math easier.

• @catch22: I adjusted the slider to show Dec 31 - June 30 (125 trading days), and I calculated the 3-ETF result to be a 5.466% gain - almost exactly what Derf said. I'd just like to be sure if this includes automatic reinvestment of the distributions. Stockcharts is a definite keeper!
    Thanks,
    Rick
  • @rick

I am sure, that when comparing your numbers to the Vanguard site, would find the same performance results for the time frame.
    I am confident with the performance numbers I find at Stockcharts. And I like the visuals at the site, too. We all have our preferences as to visualization of data, eh?

Pleased to read that you find the site of value. As time allows, snoop around a bit more; as I will guess you may find something else of value. I know I have not had time to take full advantage of the other features of the site.

Regards,
    Catch