Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How do I find top ranked funds within a category???

Say I have a fund and I want to compare how it ranks with it's peers. What is the best way to do it? Smartmoney used to have a page where it would list the ranking order of how the fund in question ranks in it's category and then give names of others ranked 1 through 10. In other words, it might show the fund in question ranked as #86 but then show which funds ranked #1 - #10. I miss that.

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Morningstar...

Here is result for VWENX:

Gives rank order placement of fund each each based on its risk return measure (MRAR).
  • edited March 2014
    MFO...

Gives quintile rank, here again for VWENX:

For past 1, 3, 5, 10, and 20 year periods, as applicable. Based on its risk return measure (Martin Ratio).
  • edited March 2014
    MFO...

Here are top ranked moderate allocation funds over past 20, 10, 5, and 3 years (aka Great Owls):

Obtained using Miraculous Multi Search =).
  • I just tried that miraculous stuff. I must be doing something wrong. I keep coming up empty. O funds match. On multiple tries, with different funds in the "partial name box." Even with full ticker, it's not providing me with anything.
  • Hmmm...

I use it a lot.

Can you tell me the criteria you set?
  • edited March 2014
    Note that if you have specific symbols (tickers), use the Risk Profile tool.

Use Miraculous Multi Search when you have partial names, like "Fair", or by criteria, like category, risk, age. It's a more general, exploratory search tool.
  • Hello DAK
    here is the link to WSJ which has almost duplicate fund rankings screens
    to those previously found @ SMART MONEY. to see the rankings & risk levels
    requires JAVA http://online.wsj.com/home-page
  • edited March 2014
    As Charles stated @Crash ...
    Crash said:

I just tried that miraculous stuff. I must be doing something wrong. I keep coming up empty. O funds match. On multiple tries, with different funds in the "partial name box." Even with full ticker, it's not providing me with anything.

probably the easiest way to use the imageMulti Search is to just select the category without names and submit it (it will give generally give a maximum of 100 funds). You can then click on the column headings to sort. Entering the ticker symbol in the name field will not bring up matches (you can however type names like Fidelity, Rowe Price, Emerging, etc). If you find you get a larger listing than you desire, you can then use the back icon in your browser and refine your search. or you can hide funds from the listing by clicking check all check boxes, and then uncheck the boxes you want to "view" and then click "hide checked boxes.". And only the checked funds will display.

if you want to compare a list of funds that you know all the tickers for, it is far easier to use the Risk Profile tool available under the Search tools tab, and it will give you the same info. whichever one is easier to use.

In summary. If you want to compare funds where you know the tickers, use Risk Profile tool available under the Search tools tab, if you want to ge a broad swath of funds via risk category, partial fund name, category, return group or age group, use the Miraculous Multi Search under the Search Tools Tab.

• You guys are the best. Thank you.
  • Also;
    http://online.wsj.com/public/quotes/fund_snapshot.html?symbol=BRUFX
    Type your fund symbol into
    Enter a company/mutual fund name,
    Example BRUFX
    As of 3/12/14
    NAV: 484.79 1-Day Net Change
    up 1.53 1-Day Return
    up 0.32% YTD Total Return
    Up 5.89%
    Click blue link .More fund categories and time frames than you care to research!
    Category
    Flexible Portfolio
  • This is marvelous, too. Thanks for the offering!
  • I think the WSJ snapshot is one of the best out there.
  • edited March 2014
    @DAK.

Hey, a couple other options, if you are interested...

MFO Three Alarm search tool lists out the worst absolute returning funds (ie., bottom quintile) during the past 1, 3, and 5 year periods for each category, like those here:

On the same page, you can also see the best absolute returners, which are the so-called "Honor Roll" funds, as coined by Roy Wietz. Here is example:

Hope this helps.