Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Here we are!

edited February 2014 in Fund Discussions
We're here on the new server. The migration went smoothly, although I'm sure we'll all experience some inconvenience as we get used to things. For example, I had to close and reopen my browser before the discussion forum would load. That should only happen once.

You've likely already noticed that it looks just a little bit different here. If you have questions about that, post them in this thread or in the Technical Questions category.

Here are the most obvious changes:
1. The panels that used to be on the right are now on the left. This is the default setting and quite a bit of work to change. It's easier for us to just get used to it.
2. The "reply to" feature is gone. The newest posts will appear at the end of each thread.
3. The discussion board no longer "embeds" inside the frame of our regular site. It's a completely separate page now. We've mimicked the site header at the top, but you'll notice the menu is slightly different. It still works, but there's no drop down.
4. The forum controls are slightly different, but I'm not sure of all details for that, yet.

Welcome!

Comments

• The fund ticker pop-up is not currently working in the discussion forum. We're aware of it, and Accipiter is working to fix it.
  • edited February 2014
    Ha! How cool is this?

Congratulations on the new server and the new discussion page.

Very much appreciate all you do.

Charles
  • Thanks for keeping this going.
  • Looks good so far. One suggestion is to change the default specified font to something more standard so that it renders well on all browsers and devices. The current font rendered on the iPad is difficult to read for a long time. The bold characters are too thick and run into each other in some places. Even the regular weight comes out looking like semibold. It is fine on an Android device since it doesn't seem to have that specified font and uses the default font which reads fine.
  • cman said:

Looks good so far. One suggestion is to change the default specified font to something more standard so that it renders well on all browsers and devices. The current font rendered on the iPad is difficult to read for a long time. The bold characters are too thick and run into each other in some places. Even the regular weight comes out looking like semibold. It is fine on an Android device since it doesn't seem to have that specified font and uses the default font which reads fine.

We'll certainly take a look at making some changes to the style and fonts over the next few days.
  • edited February 2014
    chip said:

The fund ticker pop-up is not currently working in the discussion forum. We're aware of it, and Accipiter is working to fix it.

they should be functional now.

OAKBX SIL ETF
  • Great Job. I do agree with the font. It's too thick. Thanks for all the efforts.
  • edited February 2014
    I agree that the font looks a bit strange and hard to read, it would be better to use something more traditional.
  • I'm used to Lucida Grande only because that is the default font of Apple. Anything along those lines should be easier to read for computer and especially for mobile users. The font seems to be bold and a bit squished. This is only my opinion.
  • It is the font family in custom.css line 2 that is causing the problem. It overrides the Lucida Grande,... in default style in style.css. The Futura font specified there does not render well and makes the fonts tinier to boot. Just removing that line in custom.css should make it much more legible. Suggest doing this asap before deliberating on what fonts to use eventually so that people don't have to suffer through this meanwhile
  • I love the new look. Have to scroll less. Font smaller but not too much. I was really expecting icon for emoticons though...:-P
  • This is so good, it almost makes me want to cry, and link a You Tube Video.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Well done!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Looks great. Congratulations on the move and thanks again for the hard work.
  • Thank you to all concerned. Font problems? Not here at my end. If it seems too small for anyone, switch to Mozilla/Firefox browser. You can enlarge anything you're reading, basically, by pressing CONTROL together with the "plus" sign. This is very cool, crisp. I like the new look at MFO.
  • edited February 2014

I love the new look. Have to scroll less. Font smaller but not too much. I was really expecting icon for emoticons though...:-P

Charles mentioned this earlier about emoticons. Be patient. I'm working on a todo list and emoticons is on the list.

edited:

done!
    finished making it compatible with the new software :)

• I am liking this site more and more. The little notification window that pops up when someone replied to your posts is great. I wonder if the red notification badges are duplicating? Thanks for all the efforts.
  • Thank all of you for your hard work. I very much enjoy everyone's contributions.
  • I'm grateful for your good work. Thank you. The new site is cleaner and crisper than ever.
  • edited February 2014

I am liking this site more and more. The little notification window that pops up when someone replied to your posts is great. I wonder if the red notification badges are duplicating? Thanks for all the efforts.

theoretically, the notifications shouldn't be duplicating.

1. you Can view all your notifications here:

2. http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/profile/notifications

3. you can set your notification preferences by clicking on your name.

4. then click edit profile.

5. then click notification preferences

6. (you can select what you want. the less the better for performance sake.
      The least notifications you can live with, so to speak).

• I use my iPhone for the most part so those functions are not available. Using the laptop I did as you suggested but for what I am looking for it is not there. Not a big issue.
  • >Using the laptop I did as you suggested but for what I am looking for it is not there.

what are you looking for exactly on the laptop?

if you are on a mobile phone - you can choose full-site

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/profile/nomobile

but you will need to sign out and sign back in on the mobile device if you do choose full-site and want the mobile view again.

here is what you should see on a typical computer (non- mobile).
  • edited February 2014
    Yep I was there. I am speaking of the red badge notification that appears next to my name. I also get the pop up grey window notification which I like. For the red badge, the only way to clear it is to go in and read the posts. It's much easier with the pop up.
  • there are 2 red icons with numbers in it. one next to your name.

that is cleared by clicking on notifications.

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/profile/notifications

then click discussions - if you click back - you will be presented with old cached unreliable data.

there is a red icon that is near the inbox, that is cleared by clicking on inbox.
  • edited February 2014
    got a technical problem....

click the link below. and post your technical issue in that discussion.....

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/11489/post-your-migration-problems-and-questions-here#latest
  • Personally I don't like to have the "logo" on every discussion, it seems way too busy.
  • edited February 2014
    If you don't see the owl logo to the left of the discussion title on the discussions page, you can still hover your mouse to the left of each discussion title to see the tooltip.