Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Reply to @TSP_Transfer: I might be in the in the minority, but I think Obama should reappoint Ben Bernanke.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited September 2013
    Now this gets interesting. I'll vote for Grandma Yellen. I'd be curious if Stanley Fischer may become an option.

Stephen Roach or El-Erian would be interesting options, but market would probably not take either well.
  • edited September 2013
    Reply to @TSP_Transfer: Thanks for posting. Janet Yellen would provide the best continuity from the Ben Bernanke era.

I disagree that the gold decline on Friday was caused by news that the White House decided to appoint Summers. Gold opened unchanged today. Media often associates a market move with a synchronous event, even though there is no evidence to support it.

I just saw this on my Twitter screen and grabbed it. This GS Elevator Gossip guy is a real hoot.

Dave
  • S&P futures are rallying - currently up over +1% on this news (Summers withdrawal).
  • edited September 2013
    MORE VOLITILITY ?
    From SEEKING ALPHA
    MARKET CURRENTS real-time news and commentary for investors
    Today - Sunday, September 15, 2013 6:43 PM
    IDX
    Emerging markets on watch after Summers news
    News that Larry Summers will not be the next Fed Chairman makes the coming week even more interesting for emerging markets, which were already on watch pending the Fed's taper decision.With Summers out of the hunt, markets hit hard recently by fears of capital outflows could catch a bid Monday and Tuesday as the prospect of a Yellen-led Fed and the long-term continuation of ultra-dovish policy could make investors think twice about abandoning the quest for yield just yet.Throw in a possible taper-induced sell-off in the back half of the week and it could be a roller coaster.Notable ETFs to watch - Indonesia: IDX, IDXJ, EIDO; India: INDY, EPI, PIN, INP, INDA, INXX, SCIF, SCIN, INDL, SMIN; Thailand: THD, TTF, TF
    And this fave of some of us.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=FEO
  • Reply to @Ted: As I recall Bernanke wishes to return to the private sector, i.e. academic life again.
  • edited September 2013
    Here’s what President Barack Obama‘s statement on Lawrence Summers‘s decision to withdraw his name from consideration to be the next chairman of the Federal Reserve would have looked like after 40 milligrams of Sodium thiopental:

And the truth link
    Check the comments, too.

Good Evening
  • Geithner saying he does not want to be Fed chair.
  • Reply to @TSP_Transfer: It's a reprint from BusinessInsider, a New York City site.

The Chron, formerly hosted on SFGate (and now behind a pay wall), is also publishing a wire story (AP) and not its own perspective:
    http://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Lawrence-Summers-withdraws-name-from-4816638.php.
  • This is the best news I have heard all year. Anyone but Summers. And no, we don't want Geithner either, so good he does not "want" to be Fed.

Why can't we get Volcker back? After all he was "advising" Obama right?
  • Reuters Story on Action in Asia http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/16/us-markets-global-idUSBRE96S00E20130916

Couple this with the positive news on Syria and tomorrow should be interesting. It all also shows how interconnected the various markets are both here and abroad.
  • Reply to @catch22: You need to continue to work on your project that interfered with you continuing to post your Fund Boat returns on a weekly bases. Remember, we will call you, don't call us.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Howdy,

DingDong the Witch is Dead. So happy no Summers. He was TreasSec under Clinton and it was on his watch that GlassSteagal was dismantled. From my perspective, he was as responsible for the meltdown as any other single human being.

The markets love it as does gold.

peace,

rono
  • edited September 2013
    Morn'in Ted,

Appeared as you were going to fill the void..... Here

Heck, you should post a weekly. I suspect your portfolio is at least at +15% YTD. That's worth a notation, eh?
  • Hi rono,

Yuppers...........a financial physcopath, tis he. An insiders, insider; among the others of the global financial world.

Take care over your way.

Catch
  • Reply to @catch22: The selection of Summers speaks volumes to Obama's poor judgement. But Obama couldn't even get that done (thank god).
  • Reply to @catch22: My capital appreciation funds are up an average 26.61% YTD.
    PRHSX: 37.97%
    SPY: 20.06%
    IJH: 21.80%
    What's yours ?
  • edited September 2013
    HowdyTed,

See, you should present your full portfolio, especially for the younger investors here at MFO. Perhaps a monthly notation, so they will learn and benefit for your investing experience.
    Your're ahead of our house; but we're only 40% equity at this time; with 40% multisector and HY bonds and 20% cash (stable value holdings at 1.5 and 3.5% apr).

VIIIX, VITPX, PRHSX, DODGX and VSCPX for the equity sectors.

My best guess is about 10% for the full year, for this house. Not much time to keep a watch, presently.
  • edited September 2013
    Reply to @DaveSch: Fantastic Shot. A picture's worth 1,000 words. (maybe 2,000 in this case:-)
  • Reply to @Ted: I'm in complete agreement with you on that one, but it looks like Mr. Bernanke is just plain tired, and I can't say that I blame him, considering th4 lack of cooperation that Congress has given him.
  • Reply to @JoeNoEskimo: With you on that one!
  • edited September 2013
    Reply to @Old_Joe: Reluctantly concur. Out-foxed by that retired KGB, bare-chested playboy over there too. ... And, Oh BTW - Would you please give us Snowdon back? (-:
  • Reply to @hank: "Reluctantly" for sure. I just keep reminding myself of what the alternate choice foe prez was...

Don't worry- the day will come when Snowden will want to come back all on his own.
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: LOL