Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

New Herzfeld MF and Discussion of CEFs

edited February 2013 in Fund Discussions
Link below to an interesting article about Herzfeld's new fund, previously mentioned in the Snowball Three-Fund discussion. One thing you can be sure of with Thomas Herzfeld is that he knows the value of the shareholder's dollar: take a look at the ER for his fund-of-funds! Subscriptions to his CEF service are also very pricey. Very good points about CEFs in the article with references to the right people at M* for further info. I held RNCOX for a time and sold it, principally because of its high ER.

Comments

• Reply to @BenWP: His centerpiece fund is CUBA that is up 16% YTD with a 2.68% expense ratio.
    Regards,
    Ted
    M* Snapshot CUBA: http://cef.morningstar.com/quote?region=USA&t=CUBA
  • Reply to @BenWP: from the linked article:
    "For example, his mutual fund owns shares of Alpine Total Dynamic Dividend Fund (AOD +0.25%, news), a closed-end stock fund that trades at a 13% discount to its NAV, compared with an average discount of about 1% over the past three years. Alpine recently hit the slopes because it cut its "distribution rate," a kind of payout to investors. But the current discount is likely to narrow and return closer to those historical levels of around 1%, meaning the shares should rise from here."
    Good luck to those who expects a 1% discount. AOD have distributed its NAV back to its investors since 2007 (ipo'd @ over $19, is now $4.69). negative 12% 5 year annual return on price and negative 7% 3year return (when the market went up). One is better off putting money in the sock drawer and taking a fixed amount of it every month -- at least it would save 1.27 management fee for AOD and the fund of funds fees and loads Herzfeld is charging on top.
  • I have enjoyed seeing Mr. Herzfeld interviewed on NBR on PBS, but instead of contributing to Mr. Herzfeld, I send money to my PBS TV station from which I always get a positive return.