Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

QDSNX - A Fund for Retirees?

13»

Comments

• Another fund to put on your radar is ARCIX— the AQR Risk balanced commodities strategy fund. Up 1.24% today and 10% over the last month. It was also up 21% in 2022 and 17% annual returns over the past 5 years. Looks to be a good inflation hedge.
  • QDSNX has shown itself again to be quite a steady performer, even on days like today when the market turned ugly.

For example:
    QDSNX +0.1%
    VWELX -1.1
    PRWCX -1.1
    S&P 500 -1.6

So far, so good.
    Fred
  • Another market neutral fund, VMNFX (down -.14% today) has actually outperformed QDSNX by approx. 3% annualized over the past 3 years (15.6% vs. 12.6%) with same SD (7.3). Looks like Vanguard had changed up the Portfolio Mgr around 3 years ago.

Happy with QDSNX, it has performed admirably. One of these funds feels like enough.
  • Since QDSNX is a fund of funds, I'm wondering if any of the perspicacious folks around here have broken down which of the constituent funds are adding the most to recent returns. I also wonder how they have fared since COVID.

• edited June 1
    Derf said:

@Chinfist Did you read my mind ? I didn't get around to looking at each of the funds that make-up QDSNX. Thanks for doing the leg work. Will you keep us inform as you go forth with your combo. How is the ER going to work out going with the three of your choice ?

@derf just getting back to you for an update on my fund combination. I bought the 3 funds on Monday, April 8th (priced at the end of that trading day). Comparisons since bought:
    QDSNX: up 1.12%
    My 3 fund combination: up 2.74%
    S&P 500 (using FXAIX): up 1.65%

So far it is working out.

• T@Chinfist : thank you for the update. Think I'll see how Friday returns work for QDSNX & VWELX.
  • Sorry to say that QDSNX has been quite a disappointment over the past month. The same goes for some other well regarded AQR funds, like QLENX and QMNNX. Apparently, someone bet in the wrong direction.

I am now checking out two "Market Neutral" funds, QQMNX and VMNFX, which held up very well and provided some protection during the recent market downturn. New managers have been at the helm of both funds since 2021.

Among conservative balanced funds, I was particularly impressed by the performance of Giroux's new fund, PRCFX. Also, VWINX seems to be finally making a comeback and acquitted itself well over the past month, it was up 3%!

As a retired investor, I am currently dancing near the exit.

Good luck.
  • fred495 said:

I am now checking out two "Market Neutral" funds, QQMNX and VMNFX, which held up very well and provided some protection during the recent market downturn. New managers have been at the helm of both funds since 2021.

Today, when the US stock market sees the biggest daily loss in nearly two years (S&P = -3%), "Market Neutral" funds QQMNX only lost 0.05% and VMNFX 0.07%.

Both funds also have excellent 3-year total returns (QQMNX = 12.07% and VMNFX = 15.54%), with standard deviations of less than 8.6%, since new management took over.

So far so good.
  • edited August 6
    QDSNX is a good fund. Also check out AQR Alternative Risk Premia I.

Vanguard Market Neutral has lower returns than the AQR Funds but a lower Max DD is a strong argument for SWAN assurance.
  • edited August 6
    I put money into a fund if it has a good risk/reward record over the past 3-4 years and that meets my personal conservative risk criteria. As a retired investor, I certainly don't want to lose a lot of money at this point of my life.

The only thing that matters to me is performance, and how much of a loss I will tolerate during a market downturn. Bottom line, if a fund doesn't work for me anymore, like QDSNX, for example, I sell it and move on.

As I said, I am currently checking out funds that have done well over the past 3-4 years and also during the recent market downturn. "Market Neutral" funds like QQMNX and VMNFX, and conservative balanced funds like Giroux's PRCFX fit this profile.

Good luck.
  • edited August 6
    Interesting

PRCFX is less than a year old (automatic eliminate for me despite being run by a star manager. I do hold his TRAIX fund and that has struggled recently).

QLENX has performed a lot better than VNMIX last 3-4 years albeit with a higher level of volatility than VNMIX.

Boils down to timeframes one is looking at (I don't care about daily returns including pivot days like yesterday). Minimal evaluation period for me is 12 months plus.

To each their own, good luck with your journey.
  • edited August 7
    stayCalm said:

Interesting

PRCFX is less than a year old (automatic eliminate for me despite being run by a star manager).

Boils down to timeframes one is looking at (I don't care about daily returns including pivot days like yesterday). Minimal evaluation period for me is 12 months plus.

To each their own, good luck with your journey.

As a retired investor, my timeframes are probably considerably shorter than yours. As you say: "To each their own".

Along those lines, I am currently exploring investing in a combination PRCFX and QQMNX, a Market Neutral fund.

Good luck.

• I personally invest in REMIX & QDSNX in my "liquid alts" sleeve for our portfolio. They do things different from one another but both perform well in high vol or correction periods. Since the strategies are well diversified, regular additions to each is employed when stocks are looking expensive. BTW - first learned of REMIX on this very website!