Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Seeing red across the board this morning.

Don't worry be happy ! Sunny morning & temps on the rise here in S WI. Time to hit the little white ball, or at least give it a try. Have a good day, Derf

Comments

• edited May 2023
    Bloomberg’s in “worry mode” today. It varies day to day along with the weather.

Hitting little white balls would be infinitely more productive and interesting than watching red / green squiggles on a stock chart. But so would be fishing, mowing the grass or carrying out the trash.

That said … While most everything equity related is down (mid-day) miners / metals are being taken to the woodshed. Silver is leading the way down, off more than 4% today - but to be expected after a phenomenal run this year. It’s a bit unnerving how far the yield on the 10-year has fallen in just a month or two. Certainly suggests growing fears of recession. (3.38% today).

@Derf - hope you get a “hole-in-one” today!
  • Well I got a new grandson an hour ago so there's that.
  • @Mark Yeah !!! For all.
  • edited May 2023
    Holy s###. That’s great @Mark. You’ll have him reading Benjamin Graham in no time I suspect.
  • @Anna, @catch22, @hank - Thank You! It was a great day.
  • @Mark- That's about the best thing that's gonna happen today. Congrats!
  • @Old_Joe - you got that right my friend. Thank you.
  • @Mark Grandchildren are the one thing in life that exceed all expectations!

Enjoy their time growing up. Then they're even better as adults.

David
  • @mark. Congratulations. You are gonna experience so much joy. Wait till the first time he calls you grandpa.
  • @mark

Congratulations! I hope my wife and I will be that lucky.

I am 71 so my kids need to get moving!

My son is getting married May 27, so at least things are going in the right direction!
  • #sma3, @larryB, @dstone42 - thank you all. It's a beautiful thing.
  • Congratulations Grandpa Mark, enjoy your new grandson ! Will you be starting an education account for him ?
  • edited May 2023
    @Mark, Congratulation! It is a beautiful thing to welcome a new generation.

Now is the time to help your son and daughter to get the 529 plan started. Time is on your side for the college fund to compound for next 18 years before withdrawing. You can apply for his/her social security number now and you are all set… College tuition is much higher now than those periods when we went to college. One of our kid graduated without debt while another one is entering graduate school with sufficient 529 fund to cover her schooling.
  • @Mark

Thank you for kind words. Hopefully the advice on this board will allow you sufficient funds so you can pay his tuition in 18 years!
  • @Mark, congratulations.

In 3 months when he gets his Social Security number, open a grandparent 529 to get a head start on college. Recent changes have eliminated previous roadblocks for this.