Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Schwab log in ?

Anyone other than myself having a problem logging in ?

Comments

• No issue - in AM earlier & tried just now too.
  • Depends on your definition of "problem". For many months I've noticed that it frequently takes two attempts to successfully log in. This seemed to start around the time that the Fed started it's rate increases, and things started to come a bit "iffy" in the overall financial system, so I attributed it to much higher server traffic at Schwab and other financial institutions.

I mentioned "two attempts": the second attempt almost always goes through almost immediately. I suspect that rather than spend money increasing server capacity, Schwab and some other outfits have chosen to run their systems near full capacity.

Based on my experience I'm guessing that when you first try and the servers are busy, your failed log-in attempt is routed to software that puts you near the top of a waiting line for the server, so that your second attempt goes through almost immediately.

Pure speculation- FWIW.
  • A more challenging problem is accidentally switching your language preference to Chinese. I did that last night and it was difficult to reverse my mistake because everything was in Chinese.
  • edited April 2023
    larryB said:

A more challenging problem is accidentally switching your language preference to Chinese. I did that last night and it was difficult to reverse my mistake …

听起来很糟糕 / 真是一团糟!

• @Hank. Thanks for illustrating my point. You nailed it. I can read Mandarin but my Cantonese is terrible.
  • @Old_Joe : I agree with you. Not the first time for this BS. Second time usually works, but since last night all I get, " We can't authorize you at this time, try later.
    Maybe the Chinese are calling in great numbers ?!
  • I can read fortune cookies, but both my Mandarin and my Cantonese are terrible.
  • One way to slow down withdrawals ! The lights are on , but no ones home !!
  • @Derf- I've occasionally gotten that particular message, but only at night when Schwab is making a major update to their data. If you're still getting that message something's wrong, and I'd suggest giving them a phone call.
  • I gave them a call as @Old_Joe suggested. I talked with tech support & before remedy was found the call was lost somewhere along the "line". Redialed Schwab & was told I'd get a call back from Techie that was working on my problem in 15-20 minutes.
    While waiting I tried a different browser . In like Flynn. Then I returned to main browser that also let me log in.
    I don't know what the fix was !
    Happy again, Derf
  • edited April 2023
    Old_Joe said:

I can read fortune cookies, but both my Mandarin and my Cantonese are terrible.

Re: 听起来很糟糕 / 真是一团糟!

Translation: ”That’s terrible / What a mess!”
  • @Derf- very good. Now behave yourself! :)