Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Buy Sell Why: ad infinitum.

Comments

• edited January 2023
    @catch22 - Do you have a chart showing the relative performance for the next 7 years? My guess is that those lines will pretty much converge again before this episode is all finished, as they did in 2018 and 2020. More aggressive funds tend to lead both on the way up and on the way down.
  • edited January 2023
    Fido real estate (RE) hybrid FRIFX also has lower volatility than equity RE (VNQ, XLRE, FREL, etc).

Posters with TIAA accounts may have access to QREARX, the TIAA Real Estate Account VA. It has quarterly Liquidity Guarantee by the TIAA, and doesn't have the redemption-gates issues that some nontraded-REITs (BREIT, SREIT) are facing now.

Global real estate/property funds may have the PFIC issues that may make their distributions lumpy/uneven. As the US laws for funds differ from those overseas, the PFIC considerations require some earnings to flow through fund income (for the US investors) and that may lead to surprises.

Edit/Add: On search of ASRAX documents (prospectus, SAI), the PFIC issue is NOT seen/noted. But the general caution remains.
  • edited January 2023
    @catch

Yes sir very little buys. No more cash
    Property tax due 3 weeks
    Added shares Tsla last 3 4 weeks so cheap hold 10 yrs

401k still 90%stocks 10% distributions every two wks

Did bought add Ally bond corps mature 2027 for mama portfolio 2d ago Bbb, owned by 40 etf and mmutual funds (only mama acct has cash)

Personally I think China emergent markets, tech, growth, clouds business will do very well for 5 7 yrs... Keep dca in qqqm snow sp500 IWM small amount after feb

More EDC YINN

Kind regards
  • Added to FPBFX Fidelity Pacific Basin, most likely a trade as long as it continues to trend. Reasonable country diversification that can benefit from China re-opening, but not a pure China play.

Japan 37.94%
    China 22.16%
    Taiwan 7.26%
    Korea (South) 6.88%
    Australia 5.97%
    Hong Kong 4.75%
    Singapore 4.58%
    India 2.93%

Also added FNMIX Fidelity New Markets Income (emerging markets bond fund)
  • Took just a smidgeon from both PRWCX and PRNEX and combined the amount from them both to buy PRCPX (junk bonds) shares.

Portfolio X-Ray now shows:
    7% cash
    51 domestic stocks
    9 foreign stocks
    32 bonds
  • Hi people!! asking advice- how to invest in the Swiss Franc?? thanks in advance!!
  • edited January 2023
    BennyB said:

Hi people!! asking advice- how to invest in the Swiss Franc?? thanks in advance!!

FXF (etf)

• hank- thanks pal!
  • Even better-FXF issues a 1099-not a K1 tax form. Unfortunately, UUP , an etf I was interested in years ago, issues a K1 !
  • carew388 said:

Even better-FXF issues a 1099-not a K1 tax form. Unfortunately, UUP , an etf I was interested in years ago, issues a K1 !

Why are people allergic to the K-1? Is it because they are typically issued late?
  • K-1s normally come in late-March or early-April, so any early filing is out.

They need more forms. Brokerage 1099 reports are not reliable but one has to use some info from 1099 and other from K-1.

I dealt with K-1 for years, so it's a doable mess. But I am now K-1 free and I sleep better.
  • K-1s normally come in late-March or early-April, so any early filing is out.

They need more forms. Brokerage 1099 reports are not reliable but one has to use some info from 1099 and other from K-1.

I dealt with K-1 for years, so it's a doable mess. But I am now K-1 free and I sleep better.

This will be my first year with a K-1. (ET, Energy Transfer.) So, my brokerage provides a 1099? But somehow, that is incomplete? I am aware, per the TRP website, that the required K-1 must come directly from the company I'm invested in..... But somehow, both forms must be included with the tax return?

What GENIUS is in charge of this crap?
    I am considering another: it's an oil royalty trust with TWO (count 'em!) employees, and an official HQ address out of the quaint town of Keene, New Hampshire. But nowhere on their website do they mention a K-1. Nor do they refer to themselves as a Limited Partnership. It's squishy. The website explains that specific information for tax filing will be sent with a year-end report. But no official IRS form number. The info comes in a "letter."
    NRT. http://www.neort.com/

.....Fun and games. But the profits MIGHT be worth the trouble? My tax guy is the one who will have to worry about it all, anyhow. And with probably zero tax due, and just a small refund, maybe it's just not a big deal in my situation.
  • In my case, they come late and I'm concerned that my tax preparer would add another one or two hundred to his fees. I have chronic pain in my arms and hands or otherwise I would prepare my taxes myself !
  • I have filed K-1s on TurboTax for several years. It takes extra time and occasionally some fudging ( PTP income requires two separate K-1s for each company) but it can be done without hiring an accountant.

OF course the sums involved in my case are not huge ( under $5,000) so if I screwed up the IRS probably doesn't care.

The biggest problem is some of the companies do not issue K-1s until late, even after April 15th.

If you want to invest in energy MLPs a lot easier to use one of the ETFs or Mutual funds that do so, although it will charge the management fee
  • Your third paragraph is the key for me. I would get uneasy waiting until April for a K-1, so I try to find alternatives that issue a 1099.
  • edited February 2023
    Buying a few more shares in NHYDY Norsk Hydro, at Market Open, 16th Feb, '23. The stock is down by more than -7% in the past 5 days alone. Latest earnings reported were 10 cents, but 12 cents was the consensus estimate. Mr. Market was disappointed. And Mr. Market ALWAYS overreacts. Also uncle Joe and the Congress are pushing "made in America." Dunno if that includes NHYDY. They have a presence here, Stateside...... Dividend is not due until May. RSI (14) is 39........EDIT: Alas, the booger rose, rather than falling to my target-price on my Limit Order. Guess I'll adjust it to "Good Till Canceled."
  • edited February 2023
    ****Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway just received a dividend check for $205,881,319.79 from Tim Cook****

Compounding powers exponentially growth overtime

Maybe very good in 5 10 yrs....buy and hold

Think is good to add more $SCHD extremely long term hold?
    Ty
  • @johnN - Mr. Cook sent me a check just like that only without those first 6 numbers.
  • edited February 2023
    Mine without the first 6.5 letters... Only have few hundreds shares. Fotflmao
  • BTW, Apple/AAPL doesn't seem to be a holding of Schwab ETF SCHD. So, don't buy it for checks from Tim Cook. https://www.schwab.wallst.com/Prospect/Research/etfs/portfolio.asp?symbol=schd
  • @YBB - never ever even gave it a thought.
  • edited February 2023
    ......And wouldn't you know? Inflation print was awful. Mr. Market overreacted and fell like a stone. My limit-order still stands unfilled. Three of my stock holdings down, two actually up for the day. One unchanged. WTF. I'll take it. Watch out for the mutual funds, though. "Whether the stone hits the pitcher or the pitcher hits the stone, it's going to be bad for the pitcher."
  • You don’t buy Apple stock for the small dividend. It is one of the most profitable high tech stock one can own.
  • edited February 2023
    Crash said:

”Watch out for the mutual funds, though."

Depends which funds I suppose. Some of the miners (p/m and industrial) were flat or up slightly. But some of the p/m miners got hit pretty hard today. Gold actually gained a tad. A few funds I track (but don’t necessarily own): VWINX -.56% / PRWCX -.89% / HSGFX +.74% While not technically a fund, BRK.B held up pretty well, loosing just -47%. Bonds and bond funds generally fell today, adding to the losses a balanced portfolio might otherwise sustain on such a down day. As mentioned previously, I no longer share information re my own investments.

• NHYDY refuses to fall far enough to make me happy with my Limit Order. Just canceled. Bought a few shares in PSTL, instead. Then where did it go, after the order was executed? Down further, of course! Growl.

down -1.12% on the day. Market just closed for the long week-end.
    down -2.77% over 5 days.
    down -1.67% over 3 months.
    YTD: +5.57%
    1 year: down -12.04%
    5 years: down -6.76%
    Why own this booger? It's the P.O. I think the divs are in the bag. I've been looking to find all the stoopid statistics and analysts' opinions on the stock, lately. Positive outlook, even if the target-price isn't much higher than where it is at the moment. Good market reaction to recent Earnings Report.
  • edited February 2023
    I took a small position in AVGE for a few reasons. One, I hold no other foreign equities other than what might be buried somewhere in some other mutual fund I hold. I haven't ever felt that I needed any nor did I feel they added anything to my total return that wasn't available with my US equities having international exposure.

Two, I'm testing the pundits squawking thesis that foreign holdings are where the action is going to be for the next few quarters or year. We'll see.

And three, I like that the fund is primarily supposed to invest with a predominant US weighting which doesn't take me far away from what I feel comfortable doing anyway.
  • @Mark: An interesting choice. From my looking at the managers of some of the underlying funds, it appears that the same team runs all the Avantis offerings. Had you bought on the day AVGE came on the market, you’d be a happy camper today. One hopes it can outperform VT.
  • Bought a little COWZ and Even less MSFT
    My "Dog of the DOW " INTC just slashed the dividend so out it goes.
  • COWZ. I suppose the attraction there is dividends WITH growth prospects? But I see it framed as mid-cap Value, overall. Oops, my bad. In 6 years, it's up +93.51%. Not shabby.