Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How the Hospice Movement Became a For-Profit Hustle

2»

Comments

• It seems like the health care system in the USA is determined to amass as much of a patient's wealth as possible before he passes. After all, he won't be needing it where he is going...
  • @sma3 : Would you mind dating the tie period of time you are referring to concerning the VA you worked at ?
    I've been using VA & find it keeping up with the times, new radiation center & remodels on going.
    Thanks, Derf
  • @derf

I was at the VA until 1997. There are some very good VAs especially in the South where many Vets move when they retire.

Since 1997 the VA budget has increased dramatically from all the post 9/11 vets flooding into the system.

The problem I saw in the 90s was the budgets were determined by the population in the local access area, so when Vets retired and fled high tax states, the VA hospitals there should have been consolidated and closed, but rarely were because the local Congressperson would fight like hell to keep that from happening. So if the budget declines and you can't close the place, needed improvements didn't happen.

• Thanks for your reply @sma3 .. Things are better now. You're right about the movement south. When the snow birds return it's a longer wait for an appointment.
    SP/5 Derf