Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Buy Sell Why: ad infinitum.

Comments

• @Crash
    I venture to say that most MMKT/core cash or perhaps sweep accounts (which FIDO doesn't use for a self-managed acct.; perhaps with advisor type accts. ); will not be found at M* or Google Finance or whatever else. One will only be able to access the core cash info when logged in to one's account.
  • Roy
    edited December 2022
    Crash said:

@rforno I'm curious about the size of your PRWCX holding, if you don't mind sharing? I'm already up to 36% of total.

Okay, you guys are making progress, but I know you can do better. We are at 88% PRWCX/TRAIX. Had been even higher, but wife had more inheritance money come in that is sitting in money market fund PRTXX and floating rate fund PRFRX.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all!!
  • edited December 2022
    added more techs yesterday

for Mam Portfolio added $KIM reits bond ytm 5.2% BBB+ mature 2027
    https://markets.businessinsider.com/bonds/kimberly-clark_corpdl-notes_202020-27-bond-2027-us494368cc54
    https://www.google.com/finance/quote/KIM:NYSE

HAPPY holidays everyone
  • Roy said:

Crash said:

@rforno I'm curious about the size of your PRWCX holding, if you don't mind sharing? I'm already up to 36% of total.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all!!
    The only account I have that is all in 1 fund is my 403(b) which is 100% in RWMGX.

• edited December 2022
    Bought 1000s DUK/pA to put some excess cash to work. Getting a qualified 6.05% dividend yield for at least a year or until whenever it gets called.

Hoping to get CHSCL at par should it get there again. It's creeping closer...
  • +1.
    JRSH at new 52 week low today. Stinky poopies. What I have in there is insignificant. Letting it ride. Everything ELSE is up. WTF.
  • edited December 2022
    added qqqm earlier, leap cc 125 90 days delta 14
    apple put 100$ april, 14d
    sold couple bonds cover margin calls QQQM and ON bet too high prices 4 months ago

no more dried powdered - margins now near 0
  • edited December 2022
    Pulled a wee bit out for my estimated 2023 needs this week. Just moved it into Fido’s mm fund for now. So it’s all “on paper” for time being. Fortunately, all my 2022 needs were socked away in late 2021 when markets were a lot higher. Not the case for 2023. Miners have been strong for a few months - one source of the $$ I’ve now put aside for 2023. With investments in mostly Roths, my RMD (traditional IRA) is negligible anyway.

Not doing much. Have been trickling small sums into BCAT and GUG as they’ve fallen further since I opened positions a month or more ago. Each now represents 2+% of portfolio. Was affected by Scott Minerd’s unfortunate passing, as he was lead manager for GUG.
  • I will be bumping up a few items, ~10% or so onto their current positions...UTF, RQI, JEPI, DIVO, SCHD. I'll be watching in 1Q to add to BTO, which is holding nicely to this point. Also making sure that any cash uninvested is working in a MM.

Really...this is the most interesting investing environment in quite some time. Is "interesting " the right word?
  • New positions in FNDF, DIVI and RWJ. Nice when mkt rises the day after purchases. Hasn’t happened much in 2022.
  • Rebalanced a bit in November. Sold some energy and commodity futures positions and purchased another treasury ladder. Will have cash when better opportunities present themselves next year.
  • edited December 2022
    ..... Just checking up on JRSH. Not for the first time, I notice extreme bullshit activity in that stock with the effing "shorts." Overnight, the price is driven up, then it will crash during market-hours. Just like my ill-fated foray into Chilean utility company last year: ENIC. I don't need that shit. I'll look for an opportune moment, then get out. 52 week low today. I'll put that money to better use elsewhere. Prospects just discovered: CMTV, a small chain of banks in northern Vermont. HQ is right on the border with Quebec, in Derby. Also: NRIM. Bank out of Anchorage, offices spread all over the State. Wait for a pullback on that one.
  • edited December 2022
    Likely will get more $SPY $TMF $Qqqm $Clou betting for next 3-6 yrs bull market... More puts
    Maybe another - 20% drops but very close to bottom imho

If black swan events happen in China Taiwan will sell everything all bets are off
  • Crash said:

..... Just checking up on JRSH. Not for the first time, I notice extreme bullshit activity in that stock with the effing "shorts." Overnight, the price is driven up, then it will crash during market-hours. Just like my ill-fated foray into Chilean utility company last year: ENIC. I don't need that shit. I'll look for an opportune moment, then get out. 52 week low today. I'll put that money to better use elsewhere. Prospects just discovered: CMTV, a small chain of banks in northern Vermont. HQ is right on the border with Quebec, in Derby. Also: NRIM. Bank out of Anchorage, offices spread all over the State. Wait for a pullback on that one.

I'm not a fan of bank stocks, but CMTV looks kind of nifty, actually. Their annual report, upon first glance, was rather readable. No Level-3 assets on the books, either!
  • edited December 2022
    rforno said:

Crash said:

I'm not a fan of bank stocks, but CMTV looks kind of nifty, actually. Their annual report, upon first glance, was rather readable. No Level-3 assets on the books, either!
    Plz tell me what "Level 3 assets" are? Thanks.
    Nevermind. :)
    Just found this:
    "Level 3 assets are financial assets and liabilities that are considered to be the most illiquid and hardest to value. Their values can only be estimated using a combination of complex market prices, mathematical models, and subjective assumptions."
  • I'm thinking that "Level 3 assets" is nice-speak for "mostly garbage".
  • edited December 2022
    Old_Joe said:

I'm thinking that "Level 3 assets" is nice-speak for "mostly garbage".

Yup. Banker- and Regulator-speak, with words appropriate for "all audiences." :)

See this for a more appropriate description:

• edited December 2022
    Bought additional VPMCX shares to reach the annual purchase limit.
    Sold stable value fund and bought DOXIX in 401(k).
    This is the reverse of a trade executed on 12/31/21.
    Bond fund yields are much more attractive today compared to last year.
    Although the Fed Funds Rate may continue to increase,
    I believe the bulk of rate increases have already occurred during this cycle.

• Sold EABLX Do I really need to own this MF ? NO !
    Question is where to reinvest this money, T's CD's, or Equities ?

Happy New Year, Derf
  • edited January 2023
    ...Just bought some NHYDY on the dip. Down almost -5% today. They are still buying back shares. Watching closely. Different webpages offer different target prices.
  • edited January 2023
    ...As promised: starting a position in TIPS fund with Schwab: SCHP. Thank you, @Devo.
  • Added a starter position in junk HYDB.
  • edited January 2023
    Real estate funds bounced today.Some gained around 4%. Possibly a sign of a coming turn-around .., ?
    Took profits from a mining stock today and parked the sum in a conservative income-oriented real estate fund (ASRAX) where it remains still within the ”real assets” sleeve of portfolio - but less exposed to risk. Playing the miners is always a dicey proposition.
  • @hank
    Can one imagine this type of statement when an advisor is attempting to explain, to the client, the 2022 markets??? One can assume many difficult conversations between the client and the advisor in the past few months.
  • For real estate etfs XLRE seems to have done well.
  • edited January 2023
    @hank @carew388
    Fido's FREL etf is a decent RE holding. And it meets your easy in, easy out criteria.

ASRAX v XLRE v FREL chart, limited back date due to fund inception date.
  • edited January 2023
    Added Yinn Tsla Fngu last few days, Prob have hands on fast sale buttons w Fngu yinn if bad news w cpi
  • @johnN
    Didn't you write recently that you weren't buying anything for quite awhile???