Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What helped and what hurt in 2022

edited December 2022 in Other Investing
1-YR chart is current to 12/15/2022. Shows which sectors helped and which detracted from an investment portfolio.

Source & additional charts / commentary

Note - Since the chart is for 1 year, I’ll assume it’s tracking from 12/15/21 thru 12/15/ 2022

Comments

• edited December 2022
    While tech/XLK is #3 from the last, look at what is now hidden in consumer-discretionary/XLY (33.67% in AMZN, TSLA) and communications-telecom/XLC (42.41% in META, GOOGL/GOOG, NFLX) ?

So, ALL of the original FANG are now not even in the tech.

Investors should consider equal-weight indexes/ETFs for sectors.
  • @yogibearbull : Thanks for posting !

Happy New Year YBB, Derf
  • edited December 2022
    Invested in CDs, after selling all my investments in March of 2022. CDs and MMs saved my bacon, providing nice predictable total return, via low risk income streams. For a retired investor, focused on preservation of principal, I have ended the year with a positive total return year, and sufficient profit to cover my RMDs.
  • There's someone who knows what "enough" is, an enviable position to be in.
  • Ditto what BF said... Nice work @dtconroe...

Barring a huge plus or minus in the stock market in the last couple days of the year, I'll end the year over all somewhere around -11.5%. Better than my Fidelity and TRP benchmarks by a few percent, but that's of little solitude.

I will say, all my tinkering around the edges ended up being just a feel-good process making me think I was adding value. I guess my "helped and hurt" interaction cancelled each other out:) I come to that conclusion because 1/2 my money is in a Schwab robo and 1/2 I self-manage. Both portfolios are pretty much neck and neck at the finish line, the robo probably a few 10ths of a percent better.

The good news, at least I didn't screw things up to bad:)

• @MikeM : Thanks for posting, I was curious as to the results of your Schwab accounts.
    Happy New Year, Derf
  • @dtconroe excellent judgment and execution. Congratulations.
  • There is lots of red in that chart - not much helped in 2022!
    Hopefully, 2023 will be a better year for investors.
  • edited December 2022
    Financials sucked it like a Hoover. I have half a mind to close-out PRISX and redeploy my mutual fund- financials stake into a contrarian play which actually performed excellently in 2022: single-stock BHB. Bar Harbor Bank. Maine. But not quite ALL. Itching also to start a position in CMTV. Community Bank, northern Vermont. I'm drawn to the regional banks. Fortune has smiled on my choices. Best performer this year in my own portfolio was NHYDY. It beat out BHB by a hair. (Personal cost basis and rate of return, NOT the overall published performance numbers.) Best performer among my funds: PRFDX.
  • Global multi sector etf's for an overview. The page is dated Dec.30, 2022; and the link is as of 8pm, EST, but all etf's may not be fully updated for the U.S. market close, but the 52 week will provide a decent, close enough view of performance for a YTD. You may click the 52W to sort that column for performance by percentage, negative or positive rankings.
  • Great info. Thanks, catch.
  • edited December 2022

There is lots of red in that chart - not much helped in 2022! Hopefully, 2023 will be a better year for investors.

While the historical contexts are very different, I can’t help thinking on the last day of the trading year of Whitman’s opening lines in “O’Captain”:

”O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
    The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won …”

A year when very little worked. Our best laid investment schemes wracked by escalating war in Europe and resultant shortages, transient inflation that wasn’t and a Fed seemingly hell-bent on pushing the economy into recession. Wishing all a smoother voyage in 2023.

• Healthcare lost me less money than anything else (BHCFX and XLV with a few health-related individual stocks). TIAA Traditional and TIAA Real Estate made money.
  • ...and SCHW.
  • sure, some individual stocks had a comparatively superior year; not talking about that, and schwab stock had immense swings
  • What worked? For much of the year, managed futures and short stocks (especially the Nasdaq) and junk bonds. Also BTAL, a short high-beta, long low-beta U.S. stock etf that did pretty well, but I only discovered it too late in the year to make much difference.
  • edited January 2023
    Best portfolio performance enhancer: exchanging DODIX for stable value fund in late 2021.
    Worst portfolio performance detractor: holding VWILX in 2022 (-30.79% return).

My portfolio consisted of ~70% stocks and ~30% bonds/cash at the start of 2022.
    Here are the 2022 Personal Rates of Return according to Vanguard and Fidelity.
    Accounts are listed in descending order based on their total value.

-8.02%

Taxable account #1
    -8.50%

Roth IRA
    -17.10%

Taxable account #2
    -13.11%

HSA
    Rate of Return info not available

My overall portfolio value (includes 401(k), Roth IRA, HSA contributions) declined 8.18% in 2022.
  • edited January 2023
    What worked was alternative funds. Had members exchanged their balanced funds either three years ago or just one year ago for REMIX, in the first instance, or PAEGX in the second, they would be crowing about their gains.

@LewisBraham was spot-on to point to PGAEX in June of '22 as a fund worth watching. That fund has made money for its entire short existence and with a very steady climb. BLNDX/REMIX was profiled by @DavidSnowball back in 2019 as an alternative fund that promised to deliver. It did so, but the ride was rough at certain junctures.

I did not get out of my balanced funds (JBALX, PRSIX, BRUFX) all at once or soon enough, so I did not see great gains from my REMIX stake. However, I do not have losses for 2022.
  • edited January 2023
    Many moves made in late 2021 that helped/distracted this year.
    1. Sold all bond funds to stable value, CDs, T bills and money market (just as we need 529 fund for our kids in college)
    2. Bought commodity futures and energy and sold half of it last month
    3. Sold all EM funds and bought conservative value overseas funds
    4. Rotated from growth to value funds as value lagged for so many years (sheer dumb luck).
    5. Reduced loss with dividend growth funds
    5. Alternatives were flat.
    6. Precious metals were flat in light of high inflation. Bitcoins must attracted the $.

For the year, we have a negative single digit loss. Hopefully we are in good position to do better in 2023.
  • edited January 2023
    @sven,

Congratulations, you made some good moves for 2022!
    Let's hope that 2023 will be a better year for investors.
  • @Observant1, you have made some excellent moves too. Now, what are you planning for the new year? Perhaps this should be in a new tread.
  • @sven,

I like your idea for starting a new thread to discuss 2023 plans.
    I started this thread and am looking forward to responses from the MFO community.
    Link
  • edited January 2023
    @Observant1 : I find your return -8.18 % for the year 2022 to be puzzling or I'm missing the big picture.
    "401k
    -8.02%

Taxable account #1
    -8.50%

Roth IRA
    -17.10%

Taxable account #2
    -13.11% "
    It would appear you had 96% of assets in 401-k & 1% in the other 3 accounts.
    What is it that I'm missing .
  • edited January 2023
    @Derf,

The 2022 rates of return listed above were obtained directly from Vanguard/Fidelity for each account.
    I calculated total portfolio values after the last trading days of 2021 and 2022.
    My overall portfolio value decreased 8.18% when 401(k), Roth IRA, and HSA contributions were included.
    If these contributions were excluded, the decrease in value would have been greater (didn't calculate this result).
    The 401(k) account comprised 42.23% of the total portfolio.
    I hope this answers your question...

• Thanks for your reply @Observant1 . Did you add addition money to these accounts during 2022 ? I'm guessing you did. I know I added to two separate accounts & will have to subtract those amounts from 2022 closing balance.
    Have a good week, Derf

• Yes, additional money was added to the 401(k), Roth IRA, and HSA accounts in 2022.
  • edited January 2023
    One more: UUP, the U.S. $ long etf, was in fairly steady climb mode for most of the year, although that's no longer the case ... for now. It was one of the positive contributors in my port for 2022 as a whole.