Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• It looks like the Matthews group has been hemorrhaging assets and now manages less (a lot less) money than they did 10 years ago. The company is flailing and throwing all kinds of sh*t at the wall in the hope something will stick. Look at the mass exodus of managers. My opinion, of course, and worth what you just paid for it.
  • but i agree.
  • run away and be very afraid.
  • edited October 2022
    sfnative said:

It looks like the Matthews group has been hemorrhaging assets and now manages less (a lot less) money than they did 10 years ago. The company is flailing and throwing all kinds of sh*t at the wall in the hope something will stick. Look at the mass exodus of managers. My opinion, of course, and worth what you just paid for it.

Matthews Asia funds were once appealing options for investors seeking Asian equity exposure.
    The firm had deep experience with Asian markets and had several talented mutual fund managers.
    Unfortunately, quite a few of these managers exited the company over the past few years.
    There has also been some turnover in the executive ranks.
    Matthews Asia is floundering.

• sfnative: My opinion, of course, and worth what you just paid for it.

Very clever! I like it.
  • edited November 2022
    I still know a few fund managers at Matthews...there is hardly anyone good left there, and the good ones are actively looking for new opportunities (or so I hear).

Not suprising. The firm has gone down the toilet unfortunately. They brought in a new CEO this summer, but way too late as former CEO Bill Hackett and his management team were apparently asleep at the wheel for 10 years, which finally drove a number of key portfolio managers to greener pastures.

I agree with others. New CEO obviously trying to make up for lost time and try new products. However, the foundation of the firm has departed and the remaining lot is rotten. When they'll get rid of Robert Horrocks is a question I've been asking for years now.

I've moved my clients who seek Asia and Emerging Markets exposure to other managers. 20 years ago, Matthews was the only game in town. Thankfully, competitors have really improved their Emerging Markets expertise, meanwhile Matthews never evolved. There are plenty of other good options out there.

A sad story of how not to lead an investment firm, but as investors, we're fortunate to have plenty of other options.
  • Wow! Per their website, Matthews assets down to $13 billion as of October 31, 2022! They were near $30bn in 2020 when I was last in their offices right before covid!

Markets definately haven't helped, but that's a lot of client redemptions! Apparently many have the same concerns we do.
  • Yup. I would not go there. Not with a 10-foot Pole or even a 12-foot Swede.