Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

US crime: Is America seeing a surge in violence?

Comments

• incomplete data. i wonder about the article's usefulness. anyhow, i for one can assert that there are all kinds of violent crazies running around. i don't think things were the same, decades ago. the repugnant party, i.e., ronny ray-guns, put the process in motion to close-down the mental hospitals. on the other hand, the demublicans have crafted laws that now don't allow for law enforcement to be able to protect someone from themselves, and protect the rest of us from the violent crazies, either. stabbings and shootings here in waikiki every single night. and there is a true crisis in the PD here. they are short of officers by 20 or 30 percent, right now. so the news reports tell us.
  • Sure.

Why? Because it's condoned, excused, justified, belittled or mocked depending on what side of the political aisle you occupy. The attack on Paul Pelosi is a recent example. Find me one republican willing to call it out for what it was. Nope. They slither back under their rocks for fear of losing votes or contributions.

Heck, we have preachers in the pulpit calling for violence on those who disagree with them, law enforcement officials who look the other way, members of the judiciary who bend rules and laws to their own advantage. It's all okay now because they're right and you, well you just don't matter.

Sorry for my lack of eloquence but you know there's right and there's wrong and it ain't too hard to tell the difference generally.
  • @Mark Only if you think for yourself do you encounter a need to "tell the difference" between right and wrong.
  • @Anna That made me smile. So true.
  • Crazy-ass jerk on the back on the bus. A passenger attempted to tell the bus driver, but his English could not be understood. That fellow passenger and I went toward the back, to sit down--- very near Mr. Crazy-ass. Then Mr. crazy-ass lunged at us with an open coca-cola can and a bottle of water at both the other guy and myself. I hardly felt a drop, but the other guy's shirt got seriously doused. Then Mr. crazy-ass left the bus.
    Bus driver asked fellow passenger if he wanted the police to be called. Not sure if he understood the bus driver. Bus driver returned to the driver's seat and finished the route.
    Just one more nick while sliding down the razor blade of Life. Where do these feral jerks COME FROM???