Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Headphones are collecting too much personal information

edited October 2022 in Off-Topic
This post has been corrected.

In shopping for a new set of noise cancelling headphones for air travel I happened upon this. To download and use the app for Bose one brand of headphones “earbuds” one needs to click “agree” on the following:

Here’s a link to the entire article:

https://www.soundguys.com/headphones-are-collecting-too-much-personal-data-21524/

Comments

• I have a set of Bose noise-cancelling headphones. I don't use any app. I just use the phones. Simple. They work well. Very good for air travel. Not that I recommend air travel these days. Covid is raging and passengers pretend it isn't. But why would I need an app? I don't use an app with my shoes and socks. I don't use one with a hat. Why would I want to use one for noise-cancelling headphones? They do what they're supposed to do. Hmmm... has Bose come out with a new model which requires using a sound app, whatever that is?
  • edited October 2022
    They sound nice. Probably don’t need the app. Just ordered a set of factory refurbished direct from Bose. Should be sweet. Sony are equally well regarded, but couldn’t compete on price in his instance.
    Won’t see much use. But nice on flights.
  • edited October 2022
    this is nuts. How could they find out all that stuff in order to SHARE it? Does the app ask all those questions, and the user voluntarily answers? Hell, I'd just LIE---- like every detail of my Facebook profile. Menstruation? really? Tell 'em you've had a hysterectomy. Or tell 'em you're too lazy to choose a gender. You're gender-fluid. THAT'S why the pants are always wet. I'm glad I don't ever see the need for such a thing. ... But @Ben @hank please tell me: do those noise-canceling headphones for the plane block out the heart-attack inducing electronic shitty bells that sound with no warning on the plane?
  • @Crash: noises don't entirely vanish but they are greatly subdued. The "ESB's" you mention are heard at a modest volume. Announcements from the cockpit are reduced from THIS IS YOUR CAPTAIN to a volume where I know he is talking but I can't be sure what he is saying. Screaming babies are faintly perceived. The engine sounds are quiet and the general roar of conversation becomes a distant mumble. I do sometimes use these phones to listen to music or the soundtrack of the movies the airline provides and the sound is better than the airline headphones, but mostly I use them with no input. They make a substantial difference in making the flight experience less unpleasant.
  • @Ben. Hey, thanks a ton for your reply.
  • Do you need to be fitted for them, or what?
  • edited October 2022
    LOL - How on earth do they monitor your alcohol usage?

Been using an inexpensive set when traveling for around 10 years. Still sound fine. No ANC (active noise cancelling). Exterior showing wear. On a recent flight up to TVC from OHare the United cabin crew were on the intercom a good part of the time pitching an airline sponsored credit card and making a lot of other non flight related remarks. A “captive audience” if ever there was. Didn’t sit well being late at night and the second flight of the day. While that’s a short 25 minutes in the air, it takes an additional 45-60 minutes to get off the ground at OHare late at night after leaving the gate due to the size of the place & congestion. Perfect situation to want to sit back and enjoy some music.

I resolved than to buy a set with ANC. From reading, ANC varies in capability from one make to another. Can be switched on / off. Both Sony and Bose are considered top of the line. Re that intrusive app - Generally these apps from the developer have an “equalizer” allowing more precise sound control. Some of the better ones can locate all your music stored elsewhere on your device and do a better job organizing and accessing it. If your source device has adequate controls you wouldn’t need to use the app.
  • Ben
    edited October 2022
    Crash said:

Do you need to be fitted for them, or what?

The part that goes over your head is adjustable. .
  • :) Thank you, sir!
  • I draw the line at distributing my ear wax level to their partners.
  • edited October 2022
    I’ve corrected my OP.

In re-reading the article (Title: “Headphones are collecting too much personal data”) it seems they highlighted the user agreement for a set of sound “earbuds” sold by another company. The earbuds have capability to monitor health and exercise. But it’s enough to make one skeptical of all these user agreements. And they do point to Bose as having a previous record of violating user privacy.

Re: “monitoring alcohol consumption” - That could be done by tabulating the speed with which user taps different links - or possibility the incidence of errors committed.:)
  • weightlifting.