Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bench clearing brawl in NFL / Players ejected

edited September 2022 in Off-Topic
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34618122/tampa-bay-buccaneers-mike-evans-new-orleans-saints-marshon-lattimore-ejected-brawl

I figured Brady had to be connected to this is some respect.

Didn’t watch. No longer care for football. But the story brought back memories of ABC’s classic Monday Night Football in the 70s featuring Howard Cosell and “Dandy Don” Meredith in the broadcast booth. Those were the days! A good time was had by all.

Anybody else remember those games?

Comments

• @hank : To answer your question, Turn out the lights the party's over !
  • Yep, I watched those MNF broadcasts. Don M. was also the losing QB in the Ice Bowl, 1967.
  • yup. cosell= jerk. dandy don= entertaining. remember how he put so much energy into reading that boilerplate copyright stupid thing, every week? do not copy or rebroadcast yada yada.... and don't forget frank gifford, who married that gorgeous country singer. gifford played so long ago, his position on the field was called "flanker." Any of those around anymore? Not as far as I know. bart starr and the packers beat don in the ice bowl, yes. classic.

Minus -17F.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_NFL_Championship_Game
  • by the way, hawaii actually WON. It was vs. Duquesne. It's gonna be a tough season--- like every season, for Slippery Rock... LOL.
  • edited September 2022
    Crash said:

yup. cosell= jerk

@Crash - You must have been in the wrong company. With Jim Beam & Bud at my side for these 9 PM games I thought Howie sounded fine. A mellow fellow.:)

Likely many on the board weren’t even alive in 1970 which is my recollection of when these games became popular. Way back … . Still had a B&W TV, which I suppose some here have never seen either. Probably should visit some museum to see what they looked like.

• Hank: With no regard for dating myself I remember when Tom Landry rotated quarterbacks, Don Meredith and Eddie LaBaron, on each play.
  • Back in the 70's and 80's I doubt that anyone tuned into a Dallas football game to watch the actual game when all the action was on the sidelines. Maybe it still is.
  • Longtime Giants fan here. Remember Frank Gifford taking a hit to the head from Dick Bednarik (sp?) of the Eagles in 1960. Gifford never was able to play well again.
  • And don't forget the NCAA . Woody Hayes punching opponent ! Back in the day !

Go Pack, Derf
  • Derf said:

And don't forget the NCAA . Woody Hayes punching opponent ! Back in the day !

Captured on film.

• +1 hank Random thoughts- MNF started on ABC in 1970. Frank Gifford was hit by Chuck Bednarik. Woody Hayes last game-vs Clemson at Gator Bowl-replaced by Earle Bruce. A much needed win by Hawaii-losing to Duquesne, a FCS opponent would be disastrous !