Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

David Rosenberg interview

edited September 2022 in Other Investing
D.R. impressed me when I saw him on Wealthtrack. Here, there is a menu of videos on the right-side of the webpage. You can click on the correct one. Sorry, I can't find a way to link only the video, directly.
https://financialpost.com/

At the conclusion, he recommends TREASURIES. That's consistent with what El-Erian has lately said.

Comments

• He has a weekly interview series on Bloomberg Weds at 9PM. I like the discussions but hate that they feel the need to interrupt Asian market coverage mid-week to run an hour of other programming, of which this is one of them.
  • Good D.R. interview, same basic stance as in the WealthTrack show. I didn't quite realize, as he mentioned, how extreme the swing between the low and the bear rally high in equities was.

If he's right about a Fed slowdown/pause after September, and inflation peaking but not diminishing a lot until 2023, the winter could be pretty painful for many people, with as he says, the best opportunity probably being a turnaround in the IG bond market. Sure not happening yet.
  • edited September 2022
    rforno said:

He has a weekly interview series on Bloomberg Weds at 9PM. I like the discussions but hate that they feel the need to interrupt Asian market coverage mid-week to run an hour of other programming, of which this is one of them.

Wish they’d can that huckster selling coins to unwitting people for one hour late most every night. Really interrupts the flow of Asian trading. Fortunately, you can still listen on the free Bloomberg radio link.

My guess is that Rosenberg’s suggestion to hold govt backed bonds / bond funds is the right call. But that’s only a guess.
  • @johnN. Thanks for the help! :)
  • rforno said:

He has a weekly interview series on Bloomberg Weds at 9PM. I like the discussions but hate that they feel the need to interrupt Asian market coverage mid-week to run an hour of other programming, of which this is one of them.

Is not that the David Rubinstein interview series at Wed 9PM EST you are referring to? The OP is referring to David Rosenberg. Can you pl elaborate the connection.
  • BaluBalu said:

rforno said:

Is not that the David Rubinstein interview series at Wed 9PM EST you are referring to? The OP is referring to David Rosenberg. Can you pl elaborate the connection.
    I stand corrected -- thanks! Sorry for the confusion!!!
  • :) Fooled me. Rosenberg is featured quite often. Tends to be in the morning hours however.

My Lord, his T bonds couldn't have fared very well today! Rough day on bonds.
  • Bonds are just fine, as long as you buy them for the interest, use short durations, and hold to maturity. Why care what they're "worth" at any particular point in time?
  • edited September 2022
    Old_Joe said:

Bonds are just fine, as long as you buy them for the interest, use short durations, and hold to maturity. Why care what they're "worth" at any particular point in time?

LAUGH! That's what I keep telling myself, @Old_Joe.
    *And on this very bleak day in the Markets, guess which of my holdings ROSE slightly? My Junk Bonds! TUHYX.
  • Rosenberg was on CNBC today and said he would vote for pausing FF rate hikes (i.e., zero hike in Sept) as he thinks the economy is flat on its back. He was introduced by the host as a "long time bear."
  • edited September 2022
    I didn't watch Rosenberg on CNBC today.
    I've heard his market analysis several times during the past few months.
    He's very intelligent and he tells a convincing story.
    As you mentioned, Rosenberg has been quite bearish for some time.
    There's close to a zero chance there will be no Fed funds hike this month...
  • ...and a looming train strike? With not enough truck drivers to handle it all? Inflation.