Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

There are 'unusually attractive' prices for promising companies, says Ron Baron

edited August 2022 in Other Investing
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ju-syrQJHA

Good old fundamental advise
May need buy more qqq vti faang voo vo and keep dca for 5 - 10 yrs hold

Comments

• sounds like giroux, a lot, eh?
  • edited August 2022
    Things don’t appear as beaten up yet as 1-2 months ago. Just looked at TCHP and it’s up 5+% over past month. Futures recovered a bit today as the pre-market hours waned on.

Watching ….

PS - Ron Barron’s a very smart man. I can do without obnoxious Joe K in the video clip.
  • edited August 2022
    Loaded fngu hard
    Will sale if +10 -15% short term

Maybe +50% - 2x by 8 12 months
  • @johnN, loading up on FNGU made me think of these lyrics from one of my favorites. Good luck!:)
    You may be right
    I may be crazy
    Oh, but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for
    Turn out the light
    Don't try to save me
    You may be wrong for all I know
    But you may be right
  • Stocks seem to get lower prices every time Powell speaks. Are they really cheap enough to be attractive?
  • edited August 2022
    Crash said:

sounds like giroux, a lot, eh?

Ron Barron’s a bright man with a good long term perspective. The clip is worth viewing. His best advice in the clip is to ignore the “macro predictions” which he thinks are usually wrong. Personally, I think this Fed ought to be on an NBA court the way they can fake passes and change direction on a dime.

Per @Crash - Giroux is also very smart. Yes, he’s been adding to tech. As I noted above, however, tech has partially recovered from the lows hit 6-8 weeks ago. Suspect that’s where Giroux grabbed a bunch.
  • Please let us all know how that hard loading worked for anyone who risked it. The following is from Fidelitys quote page:

"FNGU's Prospectus stated objectives:
    The investment seeks return linked to a three times leveraged participation in the daily performance of the NYSE FANG+™ Index, total return (the “index”). The notes are intended to be daily trading tools for sophisticated investors to manage daily trading risks as part of an overall diversified portfolio. The index is an equal-dollar weighted index designed to represent a segment of the technology and consumer discretionary sectors consisting of highly-traded growth stocks of technology and tech-enabled companies."

• FNGU includes Alibaba and Baidu - aggregate 20% of the portfolio.
  • And how does anyone, no matter how brilliant, predict the future prospects of any company which depends upon the day-to-day dictates of one man- Xi Jinping, who has no connection with the company, yet holds life-or-death power over how it is run, what it can do, or even if it can continue to exist?
  • Much like in the U.S., in China I suspect it comes down to whether some companies are "too big to fail." One could see the centralized government as a big drawback for investors, but just as often as China has attacked certain companies, it has also propped up and supported some long after they probably would've died in other countries. See the entirety of its financial sector.
  • edited August 2022
    .....And today, prices became even MORE "attractive." Vomit. The only stuff that yinned for me while everything else yanged were:
    PRNEX. and ET. Energy, natural resources.

On my watchlist, Norsk Hydro was up by just a smidgeon. NHYDY. I just read going into the week-end that there was a strike at the plant in Norway which has just ended. Hmmmm.
    *LEV is just a dog. Forget about it. I'm not even going to bother looking at it anymore. If gov't treated electric vehicles as a public service like a utility and subsidized the companies, you'd have a winner there. Some may say Tesla is already a winner. I dunno. Charging stations are still few. In Canada, stopping to get my buddy's electric car charged was often a bad joke. You had to play with your phone to unlock the charger. If it did not operate properly, you needed to call some customer rage and aggravation phone number. Or you might just insert the plug-in unit wrong. We sat there for 20 minutes, once, while nothing happened. Then we discovered that nothing was happening. What fun.
  • edited August 2022
    Today was an “equal opportunity destroyer of wealth” from what I can discern. Bonds got whacked. Financials down. Technology down. Utilities down. Gold miners and most commodities down. My small hold in inverse SPDN gained. But a larger hold in inverse TAIL lost quite a bit - due to its bond holdings. The great news is: Tomorrow’s a brand new day!

Did a little buying in the pre-market hours today when things were down a lot more - “The early bird catches the worm.”
  • I never knew that the Ordinary Joe could trade pre or post-market hours. How?
  • edited August 2022
    Crash said:

I never knew that the Ordinary Joe could trade pre or post-market hours. How?

It’s easy at Fido. There’s a slider switch in the order format you slide to the right. Says: “Turn on premarket / aftermarket trading” (or something to that effect). Works like a charm. Caution advised. Prices can be crazy. Spreads are large. But you can submit any offer you want to. I hear it’s largely dominated by professional traders. Cancels automatically at the end of the allowable time frame. In the case of premarket trades, that 9:28 AM. I think it’s around 8:30 PM after hours - but not sure.
  • Thanks, @hank. If I have to deal with spreads and shit like that, I'll forget it. Still with TRP, after Fido sent a MOUNTAIN of paper to open a brokerage acct.
  • edited August 2022
    Webull let you trade 3a central time until 7p
    Crypto is 24 hrs slot vegas machine even xmas new yr eve

Only bonds and options are limited during NY stock exchanges hrs...

Sold out of bbby earlier today
  • edited August 2022
    Crash said:

If I have to deal with spreads and shit like that, I'll forget it. Still with TRP, after Fido sent a MOUNTAIN of paper to open a brokerage acct.

I felt that way at first. But placing a “limit” buy or sell order turns out to be super simple. And it’s sometimes a safer approach. Can cancel anytime if something changes. One drawback - Fido does not allow “fractional” shares to be bought or sold in the pre / after market hours (only whole shares), so it is a bit more restrictive in that sense.
  • @Crash. It sounds from your posts like you have a brokerage account either at TRP or elsewhere?
  • Hi @Crash
    I helped a niece and nephew open new accounts with Fidelity a year ago and there wasn't that much paperwork. All the normal items any similar company would require. I linked the start page for them to fill the form online, and all is well. I suspect that @hank would agree.
  • edited August 2022
    catch22 said:

Hi @Crash
    I helped a niece and nephew open new accounts with Fidelity a year ago and there wasn't that much paperwork. All the normal items any similar company would require. I linked the start page for them to fill the form online, and all is well. I suspect that @hank would agree.

On the first transfer, Fido’s website guides you through the paperwork. Than print it out and sign / mail to Fido. On subsequent transfers once you have an account at Fido it’s all done online. Your case may differ, but that’s how mine went. Pretty simple although TRP managed to screw things up.
  • @hank @catch22. Yes, my brokerage is with TRP, where almost all of our T-IRA is, too. The exception re: T-IRA is BRUFX, wifey's.

In fact, I just walked a friend through the initiation process to get a Fido brokerage started. Not too difficult, right here in my own living room. I am mystified about why SO MANY VOLUMES AND REAMS AND TONNES of paper had to be sent to me to do the very same thing, when I expressed that I'd NOT prefer to sign-up with Fidelity, online..... (???!!!).

I have learned how to execute limit orders, just never did it in the off-hours, either pre- or post-market. Keep in mind, it's the middle of the night where I am, when the Market opens in NYC at 9:30.
    an added note: here's a glitch that may or may not be unique: One of my stocks was showing a PENDING dividend payment. The ex-date is long gone. But the PENDING dividend payment was always there, after I sign-into the account. UNTIL the payment-date. THEN the amount, and any reference to it, just disappeared.

So, I asked myself: "WTF????" And I called TRP. Come to find out, the pending dividend showing up in my account is for those who owned shares prior to the ex-date. That makes sense.

WHAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE is showing me that I have a pending dividend on the way, when I actually DON'T. Frikkin' technology. Frikkin PEOPLE! Frikkin' computers.
  • What’s doing well today?
  • i'm going to do what i never have been able to do: grow CASH. This picture sucks.
  • edited August 2022
    Everything hammered include commodities gush -10%
    Surprising ust10yrs flatlined

May need sit tight wait awhile for 2-6 months

Prob consolidation sideway stagnations/ 5 -7% downturns for quite awhile [ few months]
  • Crash said:

i'm going to do what i never have been able to do: grow CASH. This picture sucks.

Huh? Joking or selling equities?
  • no, i'll take the small monthly dribs and drabs i come into routinely, month-by-month, and just let them sit in my sweep account. Until it makes sense to deploy it. This Market sucks mud. We had a good rally, but we all knew it was a bear-market rally. OK. And you've heard me repeat, ad nauseam: Mr. Market ALWAYS overreacts both to the downside and the upside. Time to wait a while until he has expelled all the shit out of his system. ORK. Time for some LOVE again, and I'm not feeling any LOVE in this Market. @hank.
  • OK. Thanks for clarifying. I’m somewhat excited about the bargains developing for folks with more than a 2-3 year time horizon. Slow and steady approach as always.
  • hank said:

OK. Thanks for clarifying. I’m somewhat excited about the bargains developing for folks with more than a 2-3 year time horizon. Slow and steady approach as always.

Yes, well... Dollar-cost-averaging makes sense. But "averaging down" just HURTS. And yes, my time-horizon is indefinite. Infinite. "Beyond The Blue Horizon." Always good to hear from you. @hank.
  • edited August 2022
    Dollar-cost-averaging makes sense. But "averaging down" just HURTS.

A matter of perspective. I generally associate “buying down” with chasing after a single holding (fund or stock) as it drops. That‘s dangerous.

“Rebalancing” IMHO is good practice in both rising and falling markets. In the first instance it causes you to sell things that have appreciated recently, locking in those gains. In the second instance it forces you to buy whatever hasn’t been working lately and is likely better priced. This only works, however, if you adhere to a well defined portfolio model with target ranges for all your various investments and well thought out in advance. Makes buy and sell decisions a lot easier. And, needless to say, it only works if you’re comfortable with the types of investments you’ve chosen for your model portfolio in the first case.