Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

CRAP. Must be a Canadian resident. 4.4% GIC (CD) 1 year term

Comments

• @Crash : Is the 4.4 % , American or Canadian money ?
  • Derf said:

@Crash : Is the 4.4 % , American or Canadian money ?

hello. i know it's common for canadians to hold u.s. funds accounts. but here, i'm sure they're expecting you to deposit loonies. it's an internet bank, too. no branches to do business at.
  • Think that is in Canadian $. With the exchange rate today $1 USD = $1.29 CAD, does it convert to 3.41% yield (4.4% / 1.29 = 3.41%)?

If that is correct, it is higher than 1 yr CD in US, 2.90% as of last week.
  • Sven said:

Think that is in Canadian $. With the exchange rate today $1 USD = $1.29 CAD, does it convert to 3.41% yield (4.4% / 1.29 = 3.41%)?

If that is correct, it is higher than 1 yr CD in US, 2.90% as of last week.

Not sure how the exchange rate would impact the yield except for the exchange rate risk at the end of the term.
  • Yep, only a CHANGE in exchange rate at maturity would affect the yield. So the CURRENT rate of 4.4% remains (in Canadian or US money) until the exchange rate changes.
  • +1. yes, loonies = CAD.

• and just for fun, here's a two-nie.
  • I hope their $2.00 nie worked out better than Our $2.00 bill
  • Derf said:

I hope their $2.00 nie worked out better than Our $2.00 bill

Coming from the East, I noticed some $2 bills in the West when I went out to go to school. Spokane. In the East, they have been like hen's teeth since... forever.