Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• When exactly in U.S. history did folks who believe this hijack patriotism? From the prospectus:
    The Sub-Adviser analyzes an initial universe of large-, mid-, and small-capitalization companies with market capitalizations of at least $1 billion. The Sub-Adviser then screens out companies that, in the Sub-Adviser’s assessment, have emphasized political activism and social agendas at the expense of maximizing shareholder returns in the Sub-Adviser’s assessment. For example, the Sub-Adviser will generally exclude companies that make public statements about a then-current political hot button item unrelated to their business (e.g., companies that issue press releases in response to U.S. Supreme Court rulings).
    Consider that the nation itself was founded on political activism, celebrates political discourse and the freedom to have it in its first amendment and its founders generally wanted “god” out of our politics. Moreover, I imagine the folks who owned the tea companies weren’t too happy about all that tea dumped in the water and it was “destructive to shareholder value,” yet I doubt many Americans would’ve thought it unpatriotic to do so.
  • IMO it's another grift and the latest political-oriented ETF to be created in the past few years. To my knowledge they sound nice to some, but I don't think they have much traction or volume. We saw the same thing in crypto-land recently with the roll-out of a nonsensical sh*tcoin named after a popular insult to the current POTUS.

At the risk of starting a flame war, over the past few decades, it's brutally clear that 'Americana' (imagery, slogans, etc) has been hijacked and/or co-opted by one political party for reasons none other than to gain and maintain political power. Full stop.

I'll say no more to keep this thread relevant to the OP.
  • I only post the news as I discover it...nothing more than that.
  • @rforno, but you're right and so is @LewisBraham.

Will the sub-advisor exclude "all" companies that make public statements about a then-current political hot button item unrelated to their business or just the ones they disagree with? We're goners.
  • Mark said:

@rforno, but you're right and so is @LewisBraham.

Will the sub-advisor exclude "all" companies that make public statements about a then-current political hot button item unrelated to their business or just the ones they disagree with? We're goners.

The way it's worded, it sounds like they'll exclude companies THEY disagree with. (note the dig at 'recent Supreme Court rulings'). There's already the MAGA ETF that kind of does the same thing.
  • TheShadow said:

I only post the news as I discover it...nothing more than that.

:)
    Of course.

• edited July 2022
    "Grift." Ya. Enough said. To my mind, we need a re-written constitution which provides a European/Canadian-style of parliamentary structure. But it will never happen. Between the two of them, the Repugnants and the Demublicans have the political system locked up. And nothing gets done--- unless by Exec. Orders, which can be overturned when the next Admin. moves into power.
  • edited July 2022
    Creativity is great and is very much in the American spirit of monetizing anything.

If the former POTUS can fund raise(grift) millions for alleged election fraud (a fraction of that raise was actually used to fund the lawsuits, rest basically went into Trump's coffers) then nothing wrong with with this and like ETF's. A sucker is born every minute so there are plenty of wallets to (legally) pick.
  • Unfortunately, there will be a market for this type of fund. At Seeking Alpha, you often see folks editorializing about how they'd never invest in this or that company because of the fact that they are too "woke". It's really sad.
  • edited July 2022
    I agree that creativity is great and often benefits society as a whole.
    However, I do not condone the fundraising efforts of the former POTUS.
    I believe it's immoral to request funds for a specific purpose and later pocket much of the money.
    This activity may also be illegal but I'm not a lawyer and don't know all the pertinent details.
  • As of Monday I will have in registration two new abortion-related ETFs, one anti-choice and one pro-choice. Low min. DM me; full information and details available upon nonrefundable prepayment of $700. (Half of all ETF gains go toward doxxing women w missed periods and toward PP docs' private security, respectively.) Don't miss out!
  • edited July 2022
    @Observant

Trump fund raising for the pretext of fighting alleged election fraud but not actually using most of the funds for said fraud was fully legal because the fund raise page stated this in the fine print. It's amazing how much one can legally get away in this country by putting the main headline in size 16 font and all the fine print in size 10 font.

Certainly Trump isn't the only one who does it, this is a widely prevalent practice.
  • edited July 2022
    @TheShadow Thank you for posting this, not blaming you in any way. @davidrmoran Funny. Yet somehow in 2022 it seems possible. You should insist on crypto for all pre-payments.
  • @TheShadow Thank you for posting this, not blaming you in any way.

Agree. I think they’re just running out of ideas for new ETFs. Any suggestions for the right ticker symbol for this one?
  • edited July 2022
    @hank

As I just post items as I find them for everyone's benefit whether it be good or bad (I am not offended by any of the comments above), I agree with your comment concerning this ETF.

The filing was submitted early/mid-July. May take a little while longer before symbol is released.
  • TheShadow said:

@hank

The filing was submitted early/mid-July. May take a little while longer before symbol is released.

Thank you. Nice to know you’re on top of things.

• at the expense of maximizing shareholder returns in the Sub-Adviser’s assessment.

Taking action to mitigate factors that impair a company's ability to recruit the best employees is not social activism; it's just good business practice. Failing to do so comes at the expense of maximizing shareholder returns. Especially as it impairs not only ability to recruit but the ability to retain employees as well.
    Corporate America is increasingly being drawn from the political sidelines on the abortion issue in response to pressure from investors, customers and employees. Companies are also struggling to attract and retain talent and worry about the impact these states' anti-abortion laws could have on their workers.
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/03/business/amazon-abortion-costs/index.html

Some ambitious lawyers may come along and challenge the "proprietary research system" (from prospectus) that concludes that such actions reduce profits.
  • edited July 2022

Yet somehow in 2022 it seems possible. You should insist on crypto for all prepayments.

Probable, even. There has got to be money made in period tracking! My adult daughter asked if women now could (or should) wear cute service-animal vests, so I am thinking of a startup as part of these ETFs.

I love your crypto idea but was thinking more of silver dollars, as my grandpa used to give us kids 70y ago.

The POB for my funds' registration is going to be the one nearest to our fetal-remains-powered streetlamps on Beacon Hill downtown, for luck.

https://www.newsweek.com/anti-abortion-activist-says-under-oath-abortions-power-street-lights-1708361

Shorting and options are part of each fund's strategy. I assume Planned Parenthood will be public by then.

POB location will in addition be as close as I can get to Kenneth Heebner's home office, again for luck.
  • laugh. take that and publish it in the Boston Globe! That woman testifying about streetlamps is crazier than a three-dollar bill.
  • stayCalm said:

@Observant

Trump fund raising for the pretext of fighting alleged election fraud but not actually using most of the funds for said fraud was fully legal because the fund raise page stated this in the fine print. It's amazing how much one can legally get away in this country by putting the main headline in size 16 font and all the fine print in size 10 font.

Certainly Trump isn't the only one who does it, this is a widely prevalent practice.

I thought fine print may be involved!
    Just because it's legal and a common practice doesn't make it right.

• stayCalm said:

@Observant

Trump fund raising for the pretext of fighting alleged election fraud...

I thought fine print may be involved!
    Just because it's legal and a common practice doesn't make it right.

absolutely.
  • hank said:

@TheShadow Thank you for posting this, not blaming you in any way.

Agree. I think they’re just running out of ideas for new ETFs. Any suggestions for the right ticker symbol for this one?
    KRNK