Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What's on your buy list?

Thought it would be a good time to check in with folks on a couple of questions. Was curious how you are currently allocated in this market across different asset classes. Also what is at the top of your buy list for whenever this market does turn around?

For me, I'm currently about 30% equities and equity mutual funds and 70% short term government treasuries and cash. On my buy list are the following funds: GQEPX (large cap value), JENSX (large cap blend with emphasis on quality), BIAWX (large cap growth. Would love to hear what you are doing and thinking...

thanks
Michael

Comments

• edited July 2022
    Tna
    Soxl
    Spxl
    Tqqq

Moon if bottom occurred

Already dca past 3 4 wks
    No more $$

Very aggressive portfolio
    Need close watch every 20 30 mins - short term plays tradings

Did buy qqq voo iwm also med long term positions
  • Recently added to RPHYX. I am mostly buying individual stocks. Consumer defensive,energy and Utilities. RYE and RYU would be 2 MF's.
  • edited July 2022
    73% stocks. Of that amount, 8.15% is in 3 individual stocks. After their big slide, they're coming back up. I'm still DOWN quite a bit from my all-time high on 01 January, '22. I have moved most of my bonds into stocks, holding only one bond fund: TUHYX. The fund managers are holding 7% in cash for me, altogether. 20% in bonds, total. So, it's a more aggressive portfolio, intending to grab profit when the next upswing happens, following the current funk and expected recession. In stocks, I'm 34.21% in Financials. Let's just say I'm "early," not WRONG. LOL.

What's on my buy list? If I did hold a cash stash, I'd buy POWW Ammo, Inc. and might jump into the Helsinki-based Nordea Bank ADR. NRDBY. But I'd wait for a pullback. It's on fire. I started a thread just lately about NRDBY. There's been thoughtful input from others, there. I'm still buying shares of ET in baby-sized bites when I can; it's hugely undervalued at the moment. It's a K-1 tax form Limited Partnership. Also, looking at GRIN. Grinrod Shipping out of Singapore. Funds? PRFDX TRP Equity Income. Defensive play right now, for the dividends.
  • Prior to last Friday when there were big markdowns I had been opportunistically adding to BIAWX, CDC, CSQ and PDO. Nothing large and certainly nothing fancy.
  • edited July 2022
    Been doing a lot of shopping lately.

Last March I sold out my wife's inheritance, which was mostly in a regional utility. She has hopes of buying a small house in a location cooler than Arizona. So we decided to invest 25% of her funds.

Her priorities were dividends and green investing as her "speculative" bet. And then some assets set aside to grow, i.e S&P 500, tech, and med tech. So this is what we agreed to:

The following is copied from the rough notes I have in a spread sheet. Good thing I'm not being graded for formatting.

20.00% Schwab US Dividend Equity ETF™ SCHD
    10.00% VictoryShares US SmCp Hi Div Vol Wtd ETF CSB
    8.00% Fidelity® Select Medical Tech and Devcs FSMEX
    8.00% Fidelity® 500 Index FXAIX
    5.00% Cambria Foreign Shareholder Yield ETF FYLD
    5.00% GLFOX Lazard Global Infrastructure
    5.00% WisdomTree Intl Hdgd Qual Div Gr ETF IHDG
    5.00% SPDR® Russell 1000® Yield Focus ETF ONEY
    5.00% Invesco High Yield Eq Div Achiev™ ETF PEY
    5.00% Principal Real Estate Securities Inst PIREX
    5.00% Invesco S&P 500® Eql Wt Cnsm Stapl ETF RHS
    5.00% Invesco S&P 500® Equal Weight Utilts ETF RYU
    2.00% FSCSX
    2.00% TDV tech dividend
    2.00% Columbia Seligman Global TECH
    2.00% FTEC tech index
    1.00% TAN Solar
    1.00% First Trust Water ETF
    1.00% First Trust NASDAQ® Cln Edge®Offsetting
    1.00% iShares Global Clean Energy ETF
    1.00% Invesco Global Clean Energy ETF
    1.00% Invesco Global Water ETF

As you can see, I bought baskets to represent tech and "green." I see enough moving parts in those fields that I wanted to encompass a variety of theses. For the alt energy funds I specifically avoided those with large stakes in Tesla. And also avoided China as well as I could.

I have also been buying into beaten down funds in our IRA's, and my taxable account, whittling down our cash holdings. I tarried too long during the COVID debacle, so wanted to make a more muscular entry. Still plenty of cash for cushion, and for buying, if the autumn inflation and elections push markets another leg down; which would not surprise me in the least.
  • edited July 2022
    Just to follow up on my IRA, I have added money to positions in BUSFX, XBI, FIW, GRID, GGSYX, PTH, PSCC, VDC, SYLD, PRBLX, VDIGX, PRWCX, and FSRPX. I also have added to existing, or new, positions in some of the funds mentioned previously.

There's nothing in my wife's IRA, or my taxable, that hasn't previously been mentioned.
  • Recently made significant (for me) moneys dip-buying and presently selling COWZ, VONG, QQQ, and CDC. Would that it had been not thousands but tens thereof.
  • @WABAC: thanks for all the research you put into compiling your buy list and for sharing it here. I share your interests in infrastructure (PAVE and GLFOX chez moi), water (FIW) and green energy. GRID was unknown to me. I have added recently to BHCFX and I agree with having exposure to healthcare and biotech. PTH is also one I've never heard of. BUSFX comes up blank; is that Bridgeway Ultra Small Company?
  • edited July 2022
    My changes have not really been very significant by percentage to date but I did start rotating sector bets. I would like to progress that rotation into a financial ETF, VFH, and a health care ETF, PPH. I have been rotating to these ETFs by decreasing a commodities ETF I own, COM and sold off completely an energy fund, NANR.

Individual stocks are just plain dangerous to me and I'm really not good at it, but I do like to play a little. I've held SNOW and ASML for a while and they are both still down around -25% since I bought (told you I wasn't good at it:) ). With the big drop, I have added a bit to them to keep the starting principle the same (reducing cost per share). Bought a little AAPL a couple weeks ago and it's now my only stock in the green. But again, for me this is my version of gambling which I do for enjoyment and makes up less than 3% of total.

Good luck to all. I'm thinking we are seeing that dead cat bounce again, but who knows.
  • @BenWP
    BenWP said:

@WABAC: thanks for all the research you put into compiling your buy list and for sharing it here. I share your interests in infrastructure (PAVE and GLFOX chez moi), water (FIW) and green energy. GRID was unknown to me. I have added recently to BHCFX and I agree with having exposure to healthcare and biotech. PTH is also one I've never heard of. BUSFX comes up blank; is that Bridgeway Ultra Small Company?

That should be BUFSX for Buffalo small cap growth. I first bought it when it was expensive. :( So I added to it since it became cheaper. Good thing for me that I can let it sit for six years, until I need to think about RMD's. Maybe then I'll think about simplifying the motley collection that is my IRA.

In the small cap area I am also a fan of RWJ, which is revenue weighted S&P small cap fund. I have it in our IRA's for total return. I haven't added to it yet. But I'm thinking about it. I am also thinking of adding it to my taxable holdings, which are less focused on dividends than my wife's.

I rely heavily on MFO premium to do research on all funds. I also use etf.com as a quick look at the thesis, and holdings, of an etf. I enjoy researching the funds. So I don't mind sharing. It has been something of a warmup to writing up plan for my wife, children, and any others, to understand why it was put together the way it was.

With GLFOX. FIW, and a utility I always think of the railroads, Water Works, and The Electric Company in Monopoly. It gives me a silly amount of pleasure.

I have looked at PAVE in the past. But GLFOX has been such a pleasure to own I didn't feel the need. GRID seemed like an interesting bet even before the war in Ukraine disrupted energy markets. I like its international exposure given the way European summers have been trending.

If you ever find yourself thinking about trash, check out EVX. Not enough of a dividend for me though.
  • edited July 2022
    Lightening up.:)

Sold the small ARKK holding purchased just 2 or 3 weeks ago at a 8-10%% gain. Up near 6% this morning. Added to Cash and BAMBX. Wanted to raise some dry power following recent market uptick. Selling Cathie’s fund won out over selling TCHP purchased about the same time. Tough choice. I like them both at these levels. In terms of positioning, ARKK occupied a seat in the “Speculative” sleeve whereas TCHP is in the more stable “Growth” sleeve.

@MikwW - My allocation isn’t easy to explain to others. I won’t even try except to say it’s a complex mix of about 15 funds and 5 stocks. Major areas are: Growth - currently 26%, Income - currently 20%, Alternatives - about 45% and the remainder - about 9% in a Spec Sleeve. Making it really confusing is that the Alternative sleeve contains about 30% in 3 stocks. (Go figure) The remaining 70% of the Alt sleeve is in 4 more traditional Alt funds. The small Spec sleeve has about 60% in a couple inverse funds that move opposite the markets. The remainder is in a precious metals (not mining) fund. About as much as I care to share. Like I said, it’s a confusing mishmash that I don’t think would serve as a good model for anyone else. If I had to guess at the % in equities, I’d guess maybe 40-45% give or take, depending on what the 4 alternative funds contain.

PS - A member recently posted an image of a “Rube Goldberg” invention and it closely resembled my allocation model. :)
  • @MikeM : "But again, for me this is my version of gambling which I do for enjoyment and makes up less than 3% of total. "

You can't tell me you don't have a buck or two on the Bills !?

Go PackGo, Derf
  • edited July 2022
    Tsla chips TECHS high buy list w stimulus bills anticpated passage and several chips tsla nflx doing fair w ER
  • I'm ready to back up the truck on SPY at 300!
  • edited July 2022
    Sold most of commodities and energy several months ago. Adding to existing positions slowly and keeping a large cash position. Building TIPS and STIP to deal with inflation. Don’t know enough of alternatives to invest in and not get disappointed.

@WABAC, thank for for sharing your wish list. MFO premium is very helpful to analyze the possible fund candidates.
  • Yes I do bet on the Bills @Derf. I usually do a straight up bet with a Dolphins fan (that's been the easy one), a "who has the most wins in a season" bet with a Rhinelander Wis. born and raised Packers fan (go Hodags!) and a Bills over-under total wins bet with another friend. We haven't set the over-under yet but looks like it will set at 12 1/2 wins.
  • edited July 2022
    Not sure if spy get to 300 ...that - 25% drop
    Maybe will reach 360 or 340 next month (hope that is the last leg down )

Will slowly dca more in if sp500 @ 3400
  • @ Hank Way to play the Cathie Wood spinning wheel -- up 8-10% in a short time!

You put your finger on part of the appeal of an ETF -- the ability to buy and sell throughout the day. You saw that ARKK was up about 6% and you could sell immediately and capture that. As it happened today, ARKK only dropped a little by the end of the day (which would have determined your selling price if it had been a mutual fund). But we've recently seen many days where the behavior in the morning gave no clue about the behavior at the close of the day.
    So if you are considering buying or selling a mutual fund, it's probably best to wait until the end of the trading day to make your final decision. It's just the nature of the beast.
    David
  • edited July 2022
    Thanks @dstone42 for commenting.

I’ve tracked ARKK quite a while and have observed that it moves up or down by 5-10% in a single day quite often. Same goes for one of its holdings, DKNG, which I’ve owned in the past. And 15-20% moves over 4 week stints have been common of late. These “innovative” stocks are incredible volatile.

Any accolades are undeserved. No joy in capturing a bit of upside. Just got to a point where my cash / income sleeve had gotten uncomfortably low. Seemed like a good time to reign in risk a bit. Good point on buying and selling mutual funds late in the day, particularly those invested in the more volatile stocks.
  • edited July 2022
    Copper
    Gold
    Silver maybe bottoming processed/consolidation

May get some and hold 2 4 yrs...
    May not be at this price in 2 months
    Not sure about oil
  • Next week FOMC meets to decide how much rate hike will be. They have been hinting 75 bps. Perhaps there will be more clarity afterward. So this tread is helpful to see what the MFO’s wish list.
  • edited July 2022
    21 July, '22: I'm finally enjoying the ride with Bar Harbor Bankshares. BHB. Back up over cost basis. Yahoo notes a "megaphone bottom." Dunno what that means, but I do see it is a bullish signal. But we'll see what happens after the expected rate hike coming up. ET is faltering. I suppose it's a good time to buy. RGR is rising lately. I'm paying more attention to single stocks these days, and my lone bond fund (junk) TUHYX. But this is a bear market rally, anyhow. Keep the Big Picture in mind.
  • Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts and what you’re considering buying. Especially appreciate your detailed breakdown @wabac. Very thoughtful portfolio. In the last week I have added a 5% position in SPY and a 5% position in MOAT.
  • FMOC is meeting this week and will likely to raise rate by 75 bps. Also earning reporting has been coming in ok for many companies with lowered expectations. I will wait until things settled a bit.
  • Recently purchased numerous short term investment grade bonds. Duration 1.88 years with a yield of 3.8%.
  • Added small amounts of AMZN and GOOGL today.
  • Added to GOOGL position (increased it by a third) the day SNAP reported earnings and dropped about 35%, dragging GOOGL DOWN about 5% with it.

Why? I listened to an in-depth interview that day with an industry expert who explained the significant differences between ad revenues between the two, and how the about 5% drop in GOOGL that day was largely unwarranted. He made a convincing enough case that day to cause me to BUY, and his analysis seems to have been spot on, for the time being at least.
  • Looks like I should have added to ENPH yesterday instead.
  • Like @MikeW, I added to MOAT on days when market was coughing up red. I am seeing certain stocks getting pummeled after reporting decent earnings while others are being rewarded. Many would say conditions are treacherous and that Wednesday's rally is only a bear market head fake.