Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Financials to stage comeback: Gerard Cassidy, RBC

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/26/apathetic-investors-to-embrace-banks-rbc-top-analyst-sees-comeback.html

And with my 34% stake in Financials, I hope he's right----- sooner rather than later. :) Time will tell.

Comments

• ty
    Hope so
    ml advisor keep preaching to buy financial and cryptos
    Got xlf bac recently hope they will moon soon
  • edited June 2022
    The guy on the link is a (are you sitting down.?)... a banking-industry analyst.
    He was being interviewed last week on CNBC. I caught the interview on YT.

Under what conditions does a banking analyst come out and say "time to sell all banks!" -- which, if he ever did, would obviate the need for people to engage with him, the industry analyst.

The guy may be right or wrong, but come on now, he is talking his own "book"/self-interest.

If you read the article/link, the analyst's primary premise seems to be (paraphrase) "the stress tests prove the banks will survive the next recession with their divds intact"..

Well, OK, but one could probably say that about most S&P divd-paying companies. I don't see any suggestion from the analyst that the banks would fare better than just buying SPY/DGRO/VIG/VYM.

===
    JohnN -- I'm curious, did your advisor provide you an investment thesis as to why buy financials now?
  • Hi Mr Edmond
    You answer your own question
    The ML advisor keep saying buy financial since 2009 lol
  • johnN said:

Hi Mr Edmond

==
    Its kinda like any real estate agent with a pulse, when you ask them "When is a good time to BUY a house?" Their answer is always: "Now. Now! NOW is the best time to buy a house"

• Edmond said:

johnN said:

Hi Mr Edmond

==
    Its kinda like any real estate agent with a pulse, when you ask them "When is a good time to BUY a house?" Their answer is always: "Now. Now! NOW is the best time to buy a house"
    Of course. People with critical thinking abilities can read or listen or watch ANYONE talk about ANYTHING, and be able to read between the lines. Vested interests are always there, at least potentially. Disclosure is a good thing. When I KNOW I'm getting input from an RBC guy, then I have a better angle from which to interpret and understand what's being offered--- or spewed. And watch for what's NOT being said, too. Example: have you noticed that when it comes to markets and investing, not a single word is ever mentioned about what's ethical and what's not? I'm not talking about ESG. That's a token, a throw-away, a mere gesture. .......