Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Vanguard mutual fund screen?

The screen they had was never very good. Now they don't seem to have any mutual fund screen at all. Or have they just hidden it away well?

Comments

• They've just done an excellent job of hiding it. I have no idea how to navigate to it, but here's a link that should work:
    https://personal.vanguard.com/us/FundsMFSBasicSearch?action=reset

Note that by default it searches only for Vanguard funds. You'll need to adjust the "Fund family" box near the bottom of the basic criteria.
  • That link didn't work for me. This one did:
    https://personal.vanguard.com/us/SecFundsMFSBasicSearch?FROM=VAN

Don't know why I bothered trying to navigate through their site. Should have googled it to begin with. Doh!

Thank you for the prod in the right direction.

I'm about that ready to jump ship. Probably to Schwab since they seem to have Grandeur Peak, and other smaller funds I have.
  • I believe they, Vanguard, mentions new & improved !
  • I tranferred all accounts to Fidelity! I had TRP for 25 years and my Roth was at Vanguard for the past 20...TRP Fund Research is awful! As far as Vanguard goes...they moved my mutual fund only account to a Brokerage account. it should have been easy but no, it was multi-step process..needless to say, the fund search is not good!
  • The Vanguard fund search is poor, I believe, because Vanguard wants you to buy only their funds , move to Mongolia, never use customer service, and never exchange or sell your Vanguard funds until retirement or later! (only being slightly sarcastic)
  • carew388 said:

The Vanguard fund search is poor, I believe, because Vanguard wants you to buy only their funds , move to Mongolia, never use customer service, and never exchange or sell your Vanguard funds until retirement or later! (only being slightly sarcastic)

You may be slightly exaggerating but not by much!

• Least we forget their CG taxable event from last year ! More than one discussion on their TDF CG boondoggle!
  • Not sure what you are seeking. Vanguard has a very basic comparison tool for their funds and other families. It provides 1, 3, 5, and 10 years performance, top 10 holdings, sector invested, historical volatility, expense ratio and minimum $ required.
    Fidelity does not have a comprehensive too either. Perhaps you will have better luck with Schwab.

For most of my research, I start with MFO Premium which requires work on the selection parameters. Once I narrow down the candidates, it provides a rich set of information that you can sort through patiently.
  • @Sven Your link isn't working. But it doesn't seem to be a screen either.

I use MFO premium after I narrow down what is available from a broker. Then I just enter the tickers in multisearch. I have never got close to the 100 ticker limit

It took about fifteen minutes to figure out the Fidelity screen. It does what the options promise to do, which has been lacking with several options in the Vanguard screen from its inception.

The Schwab screen seems more better for my purposes.
    https://www.schwab.com/research/mutual-funds/tools/screener

I have read enough reports here to know that I don't plan to make any sudden moves until I know a lot more about the ins and outs of transferring one broker's available asset classes to another broker that may, or may not, have the exact match available.

• Fido Screener is quite good.

It is the only screener I know that combines mutual funds and ETFs. Others have separate screeners for mutual funds (good) and ETFs (not so good).

Login is NOT required for search. Most others require login or subscription.

It includes Fido and non-Fido funds.

I have used US Equity, M* 5* funds just to reduce the number of funds displayed.

Results are linkable, see LINK1 for opening page of results and LINK2 for Manage & Fee tab that has sortable NTF/no-NTF column.

All screeners need getting used to.
  • msf
    edited May 2022
    Fido Screener is quite good. It is the only screener I know that combines mutual funds and ETFs

Ironically enough, if one can find Vanguard's screener, the first criterion shown (as a radio button) is Product Type:
    • Mutual funds
    • Exchange-traded funds (ETFs)
    • Both
    But it's missing a lot of other criteria, like M* ratings.
  • With Fido screener, I've ranked ntf funds by Sharpe Ratio or Standard Deviation and try to pick the best combination of the two. This combination pulls up funds like PRBLX etc
  • msf
    edited May 2022
    You might consider screening for all funds, not just NTF ones. They might be available elsewhere. My inclination is to identify funds first and then see if/how I can buy them. Even if they're not available, they can serve as good benchmarks to compare against funds I could buy.

For example, VDIGX (no commission at Firstrade and NTF at Vanguard), is a large cap blend fund like PRBLX with a standard deviation lower by 1.00 and an insignificantly higher Sharpe ratio.
  • msf said:

You might consider screening for all funds, not just NTF ones. They might be available elsewhere. My inclination is to identify funds first and then see if/how I can buy them. Even if they're not available, they can serve as good benchmarks to compare against funds I could buy.

I agree with msf and screen for both NTF and TF funds.
    Investors can often save a lot in expenses over time when selecting a TF fund vs. its NTF counterpart.

I've previously tried using the Vanguard fund screener.
    I found it lacking compared to the Fidelity fund screener.
    The Fidelity screener is free for everyone to use - a Fidelity account is not required.

• msf said:

Fido Screener is quite good. It is the only screener I know that combines mutual funds and ETFs

Ironically enough, if one can find Vanguard's screener, the first criterion shown (as a radio button) is Product Type:

• Mutual funds
    • Exchange-traded funds (ETFs)
    • Both
    But it's missing a lot of other criteria, like M* ratings.
    That works. Excluding no load funds hasn't worked since they launched, how many years ago? Same for minimum investment. They still give you the Admiral funds even if you specify a lower limit. And then, some part of the beginning of every month they're not going to give you other fund families. I'm probably forgetting something.

They did send me a survey recently. And no. I wouldn't recommend Vanguard to anyone.